User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dimmer wiring

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazz_zup View Post
    All in and works good. No flicker on the lowest brightness because it was the PWM style. Thanks again for all the help, I couldn't have done it without you guys!
    Outstanding.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazz_zup View Post
    All in and works good. No flicker on the lowest brightness because it was the PWM style. Thanks again for all the help, I couldn't have done it without you guys!
    Good to know. Please come back with time and let us know if it's still working well. That one is less than 1/2 the price of the proven name brand, and I toiled over trying it or sticking with the name brand. Ended up paying the $$ for the JR Products personally, but I'm sure others would like to save $$ if it proves reliable!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear it worked out for you.
    @geotex1 I have 3 of those installed for about a year now and they're still holding up. I have the large slider version, but same manufacturer. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200701-203020_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	27709

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased the same dimmer switch for my dinette lights in my 230RL. However, when I removed the original switch I found this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dinette Light Switch Opening Rotated.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	29997

Here's the back of the switch itself:

Name:	Dinette Light Switch Back.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	29995

This is the wiring:

Name:	Dinette Light Switch Wiring.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	29994

One white wire and one purple/white wire, both going to two-pin female connectors. I checked the voltage between the two connectors and it shows 6-volts...not sure why this is.

So, how do I wire the new dimmer switch?

Name:	New Dinette Dimmer Switch.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	29996

Which wire(s) from the new switch go to the purple/white wire, which go to the solid white?

Thanks in advance!
    2020 Grand Design 230 RL
    2019 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJMCCAND View Post
    One white wire and one purple/white wire, both going to two-pin female connectors. I checked the voltage between the two connectors and it shows 6-volts...not sure why this is.

So, how do I wire the new dimmer switch?

Name:	New Dinette Dimmer Switch.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	29996

Which wire(s) from the new switch go to the purple/white wire, which go to the solid white?

Thanks in advance!
    Did you verify the voltage at the battery? 6 volts is Puzzling. 🤔 Perhaps the battery in your multimeter is low.

To figure out which wire goes to the light I would pull down the light nearest the switch and see what color wires are connected to it.

You also need to connect the new switch to 3 wires for it to work correctly. It looks like you are holding 3 wires in your hands but I can clearly see that there are just two connectors in the earlier picture. Can you confirm that?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymee317 View Post
    Did you verify the voltage at the battery? 6 volts is Puzzling. �� Perhaps the battery in your multimeter is low.

To figure out which wire goes to the light I would pull down the light nearest the switch and see what color wires are connected to it.

You also need to connect the new switch to 3 wires for it to work correctly. It looks like you are holding 3 wires in your hands but I can clearly see that there are just two connectors in the earlier picture. Can you confirm that?
    Yes, two wires on the switch, though there is a third that's folded up alongside; this is also solid white - I didn't pull it out too far because I felt some resistance and didn't want to break anything behind the paneling. I'm wondering if it's the same that terminates at one of the connectors.

I'll check the batteries in the multimeter - it's been a long time since I replaced them. I'll double check tonight and maybe even drop the lights to see what runs to them.

From what I could find online, the original switch has a load terminal and a positive terminal

Name:	Dinette Light Switch Wiring Diagram.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	30000

- that being the case, which wires from the new dimmer switch should go to the load and which go to the supply? I PRESUME two wires will end up going to one terminal on the new dimmer switch and the third will go to the other. I just don't know which goes where!

Thanks.
    Last edited by MJMCCAND; 10-06-2020 at 09:09 AM.
    2020 Grand Design 230 RL

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJMCCAND View Post
    - that being the case, which wires from the new dimmer switch should go to the load and which go to the supply? I PRESUME two wires will end up going to one terminal on the new dimmer switch and the third will go to the other. I just don't know which goes where!

Thanks.
    I am sure that switch will not work the way that you suggest. I also think the the switch you are trying to replace is on the “low” side. This means that the + voltage is going through the light before it goes to the switch. On a high side switch + positive voltage goes through the switch before it gets to the light. With a dimple on-off switch it doesn’t matter whether it is on the low or high side. But with a dimmer the position is important. The picture you showed is a high side dimmer. It says it right on the back of the dimmer. I do not know if they make a 2 wire low side dimmer.

My guess is that the white is the ground. That would be typical for trailer wiring. The white/purple would be the positive coming from the light fixture. I am curious as to what the other white wire is. Maybe there is a crimp in that black goo that ties the 2 whites together.

I am sorry if I am not being much help to you. Pulling the light down should be helpful in deciphering in how they wired it. I would guess that you will find the white/purple on one side and red on the other but then who knows for sure?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I did some more testing last night.

The two wires going to the existing on/off light switch are BOTH white/purple and the voltage across them is just under 6-volts. I'm puzzled by that.

Name:	Dinette Light Switch Wiring 2 rotated.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	30025

I dropped the lights. Each light has a solid white wire and a white/purple wire going to it.

Name:	Dinette Light Wiring.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	30026

The voltage across them is 13+ volts.

Name:	Dinette Light Wiring 2.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	30027

I was able to determine that the solid white wire folded up next to the wall switch is apparently a ground. I also found one of the white/purple wires going to the switch to be the positive, the other apparently is the load.

So, I am going to wire the red from the dimmer to the positive white/purple wire, the white from the dimmer to the other load white/purple wire, and the black from the dimmer to the solid white.

We'll see how that goes...

Thanks.
    2020 Grand Design 230 RL

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good sleuthing work! It sounds like you have the wiring figured out. Everything should work like it is supposed to.

I wonder if the low voltage measured across the white/purple wires is due to the voltage drop across light fixtures.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dimmer switch is in and all works well; no flickering that I could see. I did have to enlarge the cutout in the paneling a little bit. Very pleased with the installation and functionality.
    Thanks for the help!
    2020 Grand Design 230 RL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast