User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dimmer wiring

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dimmer wiring

The lights in the bathroom are just way too bright for me. Unless I want to see where I missed shaving. I bought this 12V dimmer switch and need to know how to wire it up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATC 12V Dimmer sw for LED.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	27680

Here's my wiring for the bathroom. Bedroom looks to be the same.
    Are the whites with a green stripe the ground? Connect those to the black wire on the new switch?
    Should I split the reds on the trailer wiring and multimeter to see which one goes to the light and which goes back to power from the rv?
    Disconnect the switch before hooking up the multimeter to the rv wires, right?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5758.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	27679
    2017 Ram 3500 SRW, Laramie. PullRite Superglide 2700 16K. Transfer Flow 40 gal tank in bed.
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the switch, the black should goto ground which should be that white wire bundle you have, the red goes to +12v and the white goes to the lights. With the current switch you have turned off, take a voltmeter and you can see which one of the wires is +12v and which goes to your lights.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you FT. So of the two red wires going to the switch, separate them? Then put the meter on one or the other and the black lead of the meter to the white wire bundle to see which one gives zero or 12V? The zero volt I'd say goes to the lights. 12V goes back to the panel. I'm a rookie at this electrical stuff. I don't want to blow anything up!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before you disconnect any wires, turn the switch off. Then put the ground from the meter on a known ground (those white wires) and then put the positive wire from meter on the green, then switch the positive wire from the meter to the red. Which ever of those two show +12v will be your +12v source. The other wire is what goes to the lights. You will not need to separate any of the wires with the exception of creating a new splice. My guess is the green wire is the +12v since it's a single wire, but you never know, that's why you do the meter test.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FT4NOW; 06-30-2020 at 08:22 PM.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you put a meter on it you’re just guessing.

So here’s my guess.

The 2 red wires are +12 v source
    Grin/Wht is the load going to your LED light.
    When you turn on the switch you connect +12v From Red wires to the Grn/Wht wire going to the LEDS

The white bundle is ground (neg).

So with the switch off:
    Put your meter on 20v DC Scale
    Stick your meter black lead into the white wires on the top-hat butt connector
    Put your red meter lead on the red spade connector.
    If I’m right you should read 12v

Move your red meter lead to the Grn/Wht wire
    If I’m right you should read 0v

Turn on the switch
    If I’m right you should have 12v on both spades on the switch.

But FTs guess may be right about the Grn/Wht being the +12v source and I may be wrong. Until you put a meter on it you won’t know.

Done.
    Last edited by Jerryr; 06-30-2020 at 08:17 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, thank you both very much. I didn't blow anything up. With the black meter lead stuck in the white wire bundle and the switch off, the green and white showed 0 on the meter. Then with the red meter lead, I went to the two red wire side of the switch (still off) and it showed 12V. Turned the switch on and both sides of the switch were 12V.
    When the dimmer comes in tomorrow, I might be back for more questions.
    But for now, the black of the dimmer goes to the top-hat white bundle....
    The white goes to the green/white striped...
    And the red gets spliced with the two red wires coming in. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazz_zup View Post
    Ok, thank you both very much. I didn't blow anything up. With the black meter lead stuck in the white wire bundle and the switch off, the green and white showed 0 on the meter. Then with the red meter lead, I went to the two red wire side of the switch (still off) and it showed 12V. Turned the switch on and both sides of the switch were 12V.
    And the red gets spliced with the two red wires coming in. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Looks like you now have properly described the wiring connections.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazz_zup View Post
    I also believe you have described the wiring correctly. You could also pull down the light from the ceiling and confirm that the white/green wire goes to the light. It doesn’t hurt to check. UNLESS that mousetrap bracket on that light gets your finger. Don’t ask me me how I know...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymee317 View Post
    I also believe you have described the wiring correctly. You could also pull down the light from the ceiling and confirm that the white/green wire goes to the light. It doesn’t hurt to check. UNLESS that mousetrap bracket on that light gets your finger. Don’t ask me me how I know...
    Good idea, and after seeing in there, that's a good way to describe them....mouse trap!
    Last edited by Wazz_zup; 07-01-2020 at 06:50 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All in and works good. No flicker on the lowest brightness because it was the PWM style. Thanks again for all the help, I couldn't have done it without you guys!
    2017 Ram 3500 SRW, Laramie. PullRite Superglide 2700 16K. Transfer Flow 40 gal tank in bed.
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast