Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    This would be my advice...

First - about buying and moving... Why not wait and buy something in Florida? From a dealer closer to where you plan to stay. I think you'll find a good dealer and it will be closer if needed. Even tho you can go to any GD dealer for warranty after the purchase I think going back to the selling dealer is a better option - assuming your dealer is a good one. Finding a good dealer is just as important as what you buy. I don't see why you can't find a dealer and order exactly what you want; although, now, you've kind of locked yourself into a deadline so maybe you don't like the idea of waiting?

Second - accessories: Negotiate what you can. I don't think you'll find the dealer making any special considerations. And I KNOW GD won't - they are so rigid and not interested at all in any special orders.

More accessory thoughts.... get the rig, use it, then decide what you need. At least the items you can't negotiate with the dealer. Save some money for purchasing those accessories after you get the rig and find out what you really need. I gone the route of getting accessories before the item (trucks, cars, RVs, etc.) only too find out sometimes I didn't really want or need what I pre-bought.

Of course, advice is just advice - it's all over the place. I'm sure things will work out for you. Sometimes ya just gotta' hand-in-there 'till they work out.
    Thanks Traveldawg - the primary reason for buying the rig now is our health. With the current Covid-19 environment, the DW was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago, and due to her treatments, her immune system is low. I have COPD, so I have health concerns as well. So staying in motels during our trip is not worth the risk.

Although we are moving to what has been described as a hotbed for the virus, we mask anytime we go out in public, and we try our best to keep a safe distance from others. Our families are in FL, and we haven't seen them in quite some time.

Like you said - it'll all work itself out in the end... We'll see how this chapter goes!

Steve

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pencka View Post
    Thanks Traveldawg - the primary reason for buying the rig now is our health. With the current Covid-19 environment, the DW was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago, and due to her treatments, her immune system is low. I have COPD, so I have health concerns as well. So staying in motels during our trip is not worth the risk.

Although we are moving to what has been described as a hotbed for the virus, we mask anytime we go out in public, and we try our best to keep a safe distance from others. Our families are in FL, and we haven't seen them in quite some time.

Like you said - it'll all work itself out in the end... We'll see how this chapter goes!

Steve
    ah - so clear to me now, Steve. Stay healthy, come on down to FL. Since family is here you know the routine for here - hot in the summer, crowded in the winter, but always fun. And I'd much prefer shoveling sunshine than snow. OH WAIT!!! You don't have to shovel sunshine. If you make to the Titusville area give a shout out.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah - so clear to me now, Steve. Stay healthy, come on down to FL. Since family is here you know the routine for here - hot in the summer, crowded in the winter, but always fun. And I'd much prefer shoveling sunshine than snow. OH WAIT!!! You don't have to shovel sunshine. If you make to the Titusville area give a shout out.
    Titusville?? I own a place in LaCita!! I worked at KSC for 32 years before the end of the Shuttle Program. Then got picked up bu Boeing after my layoff in 2011.

Thanks!
    Steve

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ha ha - small world!! That cinches it - ya gotta contact me when you get here. I'm in The Great Outdoors RV Resort. And Eagles' Pride here at TGO can do warranty work on Grand Designs. So - come on down!!!
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    A lot of people are concerned about purchasing near their home and that is where they would have the trailer repaired if needed. Just wanted to say buying from anywhere in the country would not be a bad thing.
    True, but some dealers prioritize service for rigs that they sold. This can result in a very, very long wait for service if you take it to a different dealer.

Working with GD to use a mobile tech might be a better option if this happens to you.
    John & Cheryl
    Sold: 2017 Tiffin Allegro 31SA Motorhome
    Sold: 2017 Reflection 337RLS, dual pane windows, 2nd A/C, Go Power! Solar Elite w/2000 watt inverter, Titan electric/hydraulic brakes, Goodyear Endurance ST235/85 R16 tires
    Sold: 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, SRW, Duramax/Allison, 50 gallon Transfer Flow auxiliary tank
    States we have camped in with an RV:

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallBoxMaker View Post
    True, but some dealers prioritize service for rigs that they sold. This can result in a very, very long wait for service if you take it to a different dealer.

Working with GD to use a mobile tech might be a better option if this happens to you.
    Don't have a choice - the move is not an option and if/when we do return to the PNW, it will only be for a visit.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ha ha - small world!! That cinches it - ya gotta contact me when you get here. I'm in The Great Outdoors RV Resort. And Eagles' Pride here at TGO can do warranty work on Grand Designs. So - come on down!!!

Sure is a small world!! Played golf a few times a TGO, when it (the golf course) was brand new. We'll reach out when we get settled somewhere.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thought to buy some time with getting a trailer is to rent one for awhile. That would then give you some experience as well.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Another thought to buy some time with getting a trailer is to rent one for awhile. That would then give you some experience as well.
    LOL - Thought of that one too - but it would be a one way trip, across the country. Wasn't able to find anyone willing to do that. If inquired about being the transporter to one a rig - but that didn't happen either.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado333 View Post
    LOL - Thought of that one too - but it would be a one way trip, across the country. Wasn't able to find anyone willing to do that. If inquired about being the transporter to one a rig - but that didn't happen either.
    Take a look at cruise America. We see them all over the country. I believe they have rental shops all over like rental cars do.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast