User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hydraulic connection

Hello all, I just found a leak on a hydraulic line connection at my front left side jack. It seems to be leaking above the jack connection point in the middle of the crimp swivel. It was a very small leak until I tightened it...is there a rubber gasket that I replace or something? Or does this require a new hydraulic line. Thanks in advance.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	189B9A45-A98E-4E5A-9310-2B7F314AEBFD.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	471.8 KB 
ID:	27703

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same kind of leak on one of the orange lines, I had to get the hose replaced. I just brought it to a hydraulic shop and they made me a new one. They said the orange lines are non-conductive and only make crimp type crimp type connectors for it. I'm not sure if that's the case with the black lines.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You did yourself a dis-service, unfortunately. The fittings are 37deg JIC flares - not o-rings or seals. Over-tightening them stretches them out and causes a leak, and you may have galled the mating fitting. Replacement fittings to have a hose shop crimp on are widely available. GD stocks them and can always get them from Lippert directly. I have seen many RV dealers have them in parts inventory.

https://store.lci1.com/hydraulic-hose-end-fitting
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    You did yourself a dis-service, unfortunately. The fittings are 37deg JIC flares - not o-rings or seals. Over-tightening them stretches them out and causes a leak, and you may have galled the mating fitting. Replacement fittings to have a hose shop crimp on are widely available. GD stocks them and can always get them from Lippert directly. I have seen many RV dealers have them in parts inventory.

https://store.lci1.com/hydraulic-hose-end-fitting
    Well that figures! I will pull the cable and have it refitted. Just out of curiosity, how do you know when the connection is tight enough without going too far? Hand tight and a quarter turn with a wrench?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rwj5000 View Post
    Well that figures! I will pull the cable and have it refitted. Just out of curiosity, how do you know when the connection is tight enough without going too far? Hand tight and a quarter turn with a wrench?
    For 37deg JIC with mixed material making a connection it is best tightened using the "flats method." Kinda what you are getting at, but little more precise measure. A "flat" is one side/face of the hex. For that size connection, if memory serves, you will turn 1.5 flats past the point of snug by hand. You can find the charts for the flats method on the internet to be sure. When you undo the connection, examine the other side closely as it does appear you've given it a pretty thorough wrenching and I fear the mating fitting face is now buggered up and you'll leak again.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania