User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waste Tank Valves

I own a 2019 2400 BH Imagine and now I can’t open or close my gray water gate valves. Not to mention my black water tank gate valve is getting very hard to manipulate. So now I’m camping and awaiting the preciouses moment of dumping tanks when we leave. Question I have is how to fix this problem and if anyone has ever installed ball valves near the discharge port that is exposed? These lines are exposed below the covering so easy access and the old gate will be left open.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RV gate valves are a headache. They actually need lubrication, and you have to contrive manners to do so... Your grays may be too far gone. If you pull too hard, you can yank out the handle anchor embedded in the plastic! You might have to drop the underbelly, drill a small hole above the handle into the rectangular portion of the body and spray in silicone based lube and then plug the hole you drilled with a sheet metal screw. I have freed up all but 1 stuck valve this way. I then learned the real trick from a salty old camper - when you feel your valves beginning to drag, add a cup of corn oil to the tank the next 2 uses. Since learning that one, haven't had a sticky valve in either of the last three campers with 8 valves amongst them. Makes sense because those valves are low-tolerance construction and leak every which way. Corn oil is cheap and a lot easier than replacing the valves considering they're always assembled for the ease on the line with ZERO thought of later replacement!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had this problem with our grey water dump valves last year after sitting for the winter. Now we make a habit of spraying silicone lubricant on the push rod that connects the handle to the cable, and haven't had anymore trouble.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...613#post233613
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tonight I dug deeper into this matter and found out that GD doesn't plan for preventive maintenance or servicing these valves. Even if I had a hoist to lift the trailer up to work this valve is not easy to remove. The valve is located against the trailer frame and just behind the rear tire just above the plastic covering. Laying on your back it is almost impossible to reach the upper bolts to remove the valve from the line. Realizing this was a loosing battle, I cut the sewer line that is already exposed and inserted a ball valve with two rubber couplers. Ten minutes and problem solved!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4229[1].jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	28053
    I'm not sure why GD and the industry continues to install these gate valves in places that are not excessable. They fail and are high maintenance and make very unhappy campers.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PAPAJOJO View Post
    Tonight I dug deeper into this matter and found out that GD doesn't plan for preventive maintenance or servicing these valves. Even if I had a hoist to lift the trailer up to work this valve is not easy to remove. The valve is located against the trailer frame and just behind the rear tire just above the plastic covering. Laying on your back it is almost impossible to reach the upper bolts to remove the valve from the line. Realizing this was a loosing battle, I cut the sewer line that is already exposed and inserted a ball valve with two rubber couplers. Ten minutes and problem solved!

I'm not sure why GD and the industry continues to install these gate valves in places that are not excessable. They fail and are high maintenance and make very unhappy campers.
    Interesting

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2017 Imagine still has the exposed valves, GD probably moved them to the underbelly for 4-season camping.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the activating cables that seize, not usually the valves. I had to free mine after the winter. Sprayed penetrating oil on the cable and let it sit for a while, sprayed again and then grabbed the shaft with some vice grips and started twisting gently until it freed up. Make a habit of spraying those cables down a few times a year.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree with you DARTH on two of my valves, but on this one I'm pretty confident that something is lodged in the valve from the tank. Seen many post that the manufacture commonly leaves the cut out and other debris in the tank after installing them. I don't know 100% this is the case but the cable is not seized as I can move it in only 25% of the way then it stops. The other two valves I'm watching carefully and maintaining them with lubricating oils. Time will tell but I'm hoping this solves the problem.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I own a 2019 2400 BH Imagine and now I can’t open or close my gray water gate valves. Not to mention my black water tank gate valve is getting very hard to manipulate. So now I’m camping and awaiting the preciouses moment of dumping tanks when we leave. Question I have is how to fix this problem and if anyone has ever installed ball valves near the discharge port that is exposed? These lines are exposed below the covering so easy access and the old gate will be left open.
    A trick for lubing the cable. Remove the handle and attach a long section of 1/2" plastic tubing to the threads (threads are 9/16) on the bulkhead fitting, making sure the hose is tight. Then fill hose with penetrating oil while holding it up. The oil should then follow the cable inside the outer sheath.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have thought of doing something like this myself. Is the valve easy to turn? Is there a part number? Would you still recommend this after living with it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast