Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is It Worth It?

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we too have had very few problems with our trailer. Just because of the few that complain here ( out of all the trailers they sell) doesn't mean odds are you will get one with problems. Actually if we could see the percentage of bad one to good one's the percentage for bad one's would be small. That doesn't help the one's that do have the problems. That has to be very aggravating to say 5the least. As stated even with GD standing behind them (which is Good) that doesn't do anything for time lost or expense of having to take it back all the time. If that was me I would have to think twice about getting another one. When I hear about how bad people are treated from other manufacturer's in the end I would have to go back to GD.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexSol20 View Post
    Hello to all!

So, we are in the process of determining exactly what we want in a Solitude 380FL. However, as I read through posts, I am totally questioning whether or not to even go with GD. From visits to RV shows and dealerships, the quality of GD RVs was still above other ones we have seen. Yet, many comments in these forums seem to indicate considerable problems. Is this common for any brand of RV? While it may be blasphemy here, does anyone recommend a different RV?

Many thanks to all the wonderful members here.

v/r

TexSol20
    My GD has had a few issues early, hydraulic cylinder leaking & roof sealing issues were the major ones. GD sent a cylinder, & new rear coroplast to my local RV repair shop as the dealer was 2 hours away & botched the repair originally. They were less than stellar on the roof repair, so fixed it myself.
    My previous fifth wheels were Northwood products a 2000 Nash, & a 2015 Arctic Fox & had only had to replace a water pump on the first one, & reseal some roofing areas due to age. Northwood didn't have a floorplan that we liked, so went with GD on our next buy. I'm not sure of the quality of more recent Northwood products since the passing of Mr. Nash. And we do like our 310, & have had no problems in the past 1 1/2 years.
    You will have issues with any new rv for the first few months to a year, as said before.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    This is spot on Maximus. We owned (3) and were heavily involved in a Winnebago club. The common knowledge in the club was it took a year to get the bugs out of a new RV.

Texsol20, what makes Grand Design stand apart from other manufacturers is the customer service will send parts to you directly from the items you wish to fix saving you a trip to the dealer. Most of us like doing it ourselves, some people either can't or don't want to.

Hope this helps Red
    I called them today trying to get parts under warranty and they would not send them to me; they told me I had to go through a dealer.
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    Previous: 2011 Jayco Eagle 31.5 FBHS
    2019 Ford F-350 DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4.10 gears

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Eagle View Post
    I called them today trying to get parts under warranty and they would not send them to me; they told me I had to go through a dealer.
    Who did you talk to? What parts were you trying to get?
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After several years of looking for the floor plan for us, we bought a 268BH in Feb. Thanks to the corona virus, and the line shutdown we did not get it until first week of June. They called and told us it had arrived so we went to look at it. First thing was the rear leveling jacks were only about 4 inches off the ground at level. I told the salesman that they needed to be moved up to the highest position as we would not be able to get in our neighborhood storage lot, let alone our driveway. He said yes, they were too low. 10 days later for the walkthru and pickup, the jacks were in the same position. I said to them that they needed to be moved up and the lead mech said they they were in the highest position!! They fixed some issues that we identified and hooked up and went home. Barely cleared the standard gutter to the storage lot.. we have not been able to even take it out to our favorite areas because of this. I took pictures and sent them to GD along with Lippert who both said they were the wrong jacks. Lippert said they have the correct ones in stock, only about 45 minutes to the GD line. However GD says they “are on backorder”... still waiting on them a month later.......��
    2019 F350 CCLB 6.7
    2020 Reflection 268BH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2019SD View Post
    After several years of looking for the floor plan for us, we bought a 268BH in Feb. Thanks to the corona virus, and the line shutdown we did not get it until first week of June. They called and told us it had arrived so we went to look at it. First thing was the rear leveling jacks were only about 4 inches off the ground at level. I told the salesman that they needed to be moved up to the highest position as we would not be able to get in our neighborhood storage lot, let alone our driveway. He said yes, they were too low. 10 days later for the walkthru and pickup, the jacks were in the same position. I said to them that they needed to be moved up and the lead mech said they they were in the highest position!! They fixed some issues that we identified and hooked up and went home. Barely cleared the standard gutter to the storage lot.. we have not been able to even take it out to our favorite areas because of this. I took pictures and sent them to GD along with Lippert who both said they were the wrong jacks. Lippert said they have the correct ones in stock, only about 45 minutes to the GD line. However GD says they “are on backorder”... still waiting on them a month later.......��
    We were camping at the Frio River a few days ago and our neighbor had a new 2020 268BH and his rear jacks were too low as well.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    Who did you talk to? What parts were you trying to get?
    I didn’t get a name; it was customer service on the reflection side. I was trying to get the on and off button for the auto level monitor in the basement. It fell off on our first trip out. I was also trying to get a small window pane. One of the windows in our slide has a crack in the upper pane. I missed the crack during the PDI due to the tint on the window and noticed it when I got home while washing it. The rep told me I had to go through a dealer and could not ship the parts to me. I asked if he would ship them to the dealer as I have an appointment on 08/04/2020, so the part would already be there and he wouldn’t do that either. Told me the dealer had to order the parts.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    we too have had very few problems with our trailer. Just because of the few that complain here ( out of all the trailers they sell) doesn't mean odds are you will get one with problems. Actually if we could see the percentage of bad one to good one's the percentage for bad one's would be small.
    IF we could see the % of those with many problems it might be a surprise to some. The "few" that complain might be a small % of those with many issues, unless you see actual data, you don't know. It just depends how much of a hurry the piece work employees were in that day.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the Grand Design Solitude use hardwood for their trim or is it wrapped?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
    IF we could see the % of those with many problems it might be a surprise to some. The "few" that complain might be a small % of those with many issues, unless you see actual data, you don't know. It just depends how much of a hurry the piece work employees were in that day.
    Do you currently (or ever) own a Grand Design unit you are having issues with? Did customer service address issues if any?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast