User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Backing Up TT vs 5W

Hi, I currently have a 25ft TT which I have no issues backing into my driveway from the street, but I would say there is not a lot of street clearance left over. Question is, if I were to get, say a 34 foot 5W (looking at the 290bh) should I assume that I can maneuver this into my driveway with approximately the same amount of clearance or should I expect that I’ll need substantially more?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you provide the width of the street curbline-to-curbline and the wide of your driveway apron, we could give you some better thoughts on the matter. FWIW - my roadway is 28 feet wide, apron of driveway at curbline is 18 feet wide and rapidly narrows to 10.5 foot wide drive. I get my truck and 5er combo into the driveway fine. It's impossible to jack and chase smoothly in the tight confines so there are several adjustments, but it's fine.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    If you provide the width of the street curbline-to-curbline and the wide of your driveway apron, we could give you some better thoughts on the matter. FWIW - my roadway is 28 feet wide, apron of driveway at curbline is 18 feet wide and rapidly narrows to 10.5 foot wide drive. I get my truck and 5er combo into the driveway fine. It's impossible to jack and chase smoothly in the tight confines so there are several adjustments, but it's fine.
    Thanks I can get those measurements but my question was more general about the relative maneuverability of a 5W vs TT. Do rigs of equal length generally need the same amount of space to turn backward? Does one need more than the other?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on pure mechanics of the hitching, the 5th wheel is more maneuverable backing. I would suspect any camper like me who has driven semis will astoundingly agree. Conversely, it seems those who are from a passenger vehicle perspective stepping up to towing feel they do better with a tag-along. Moreover, rigs of equal length are not at all equal in what matters for maneuvering backward which is a function of distance from pivot to axle center and then cantilever of camper behind the axle center.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbarkson View Post
    Thanks I can get those measurements but my question was more general about the relative maneuverability of a 5W vs TT. Do rigs of equal length generally need the same amount of space to turn backward? Does one need more than the other?
    A 5th wheel will respond slower to inputs at first, but can make tighter moves. It takes practice. I am still learning at what point to follow through with the truck. Now my neighbor is a triple ace at backing. Makes it look easy. However his chevy short bed will turn a heck of a lot tighter than my dually long bed.

If you do move up to the 5er find an empty parking lot, put out a few soccer cones to simulate a camping site and practice.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Geotex1 to follow up on this note, my street has s 28 ft wide and driveway apron is 12 ft. Sounds like it’s a little tighter than yours but still doable with a shorter 5W and a “short” bed F-250 (6 3/4 foot bed)?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geotex1 to follow up on this note, my street has s 28 ft wide and driveway apron is 12 ft. Sounds like it’s a little tighter than yours but still doable with a shorter 5W and a “short” bed F-250 (6 3/4 foot bed)?
    My opinion is that is quite doable. Be very conscious of hard obstacles that can affect your approach, like a mailbox. If you can run over land adjacent to your apron without doing damage that will make your rotation into the driveway easier with less number of moves to change the alignment of the truck relative to the trailer to keep the trailer backing straight into the driveway. After you figure out what positioning works best to start your approach, it is helpful to set some queues. For instance I set a reflector at the edge of my property aligned with where the front axle of my truck needs to be to start my backing. I then painted a white dot on my apron where I need my rear trailer tire to be when entering my driveway that I can see in the mirror. This is very helpful for when you're tired after towing a long day home.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help everyone. I have a follow up question. I keep reading about the blind spot when backing up a 5W (I.e. backing up toward the passenger side). Is that unique to fifth wheels? I don’t notice a difference in visibility when backing up my TT to the passenger side vs the driver side.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help everyone. I have a follow up question. I keep reading about the blind spot when backing up a 5W (I.e. backing up toward the passenger side). Is that unique to fifth wheels? I don’t notice a difference in visibility when backing up my TT to the passenger side vs the driver side.
    Not at all. It's a limitation of driver position and mirror reach. Your current TT is not excessively long. Our prior camper about the same length, in fact, and I always backed it weak side into our driveway. The 5er you're considering is long (like ours) and it's length will outrun your mirror reach. If your TT waa longer, you would have already discovered this, and it does take more TT length before you get blind because of the difference in pivot points.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not at all. It's a limitation of driver position and mirror reach. Your current TT is not excessively long. Our prior camper about the same length, in fact, and I always backed it weak side into our driveway. The 5er you're considering is longer (like ours) and it's length will outrun your mirror reach. If your TT was longer, you would have already discovered this, and it does take more TT length than a 5er before you get blind because of the difference in pivot points.
    Last edited by geotex1; 07-02-2020 at 09:57 AM.