User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should I allow AC to run while in storage?

I am very fortunate to have our 303 in an fully enclosed building on our property. Is it an advantage to run the AC unit at maybe 85 degrees and/or just vent some windows. No doubt the AC unit will keep the moisture down, but at what expense over time? Maybe get a small dehumidifier instead of wearing the AC units out?

TIA

tt
    Thank you!

2021 310GKR Solitude
    2022 GMC Denali - Duramax

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would vote for the dehumidifier - especially with the humidity levels you have in AL. You could rig one up to drain outside or run it in the shower and let it drain into the gray tanks (would take a long time to fill up).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the building have good ventilation itself? It's important for it to otherwise it will promote problems with humidity in your rig in AL. As the "other Rob" said, dehumidifier is a good idea.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go with Rob’s advice. However, do not buy the HiSense dehumidifier. Chinese made. Mine crashed in month 20 of the 18 month warranty. Lowe’s wouldn’t honor it. Error code showed a bad humidistat. A search for a replacement part read “no replacement or substitute part for this model available”. I should have read the reviews. All the 4 and 5 stars were new owners, the 1 and 2 stars were from owners that had the units a while. But Rob is spot on. I put the unit on the kitchen counter, ran the hose to the sink, and left the gray tank valve open.
    Ed
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd just leave the A/C set at something between 81 and 85. I did this when we left our rig in an inclosed garage. It would save the cost of a dehumidifier and depending where you would put the dehumidifier I think you will get better air circulation and wouldn't have to keep emptying its water container.

I have no idea which would be less expensive regarding electrical costs.

Another advantage is that you won't have to worry about high temps and could leave some non-perishable foods in it if you wanted.

Leave your cabinet doors open as well as closet, run the A/C, and slides in or out - your choice.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I set mine at 85 this past summer. We didn’t get much chance to use the fiver, and I wanted to try to keep the heat down, as well as the humidity. It ran some, most days, but I don’t think that it was excessive. I really didn’t see much change, year-over-year on the electricity cost (I chart all of our utilities month-to-month, on my budget spreadsheet).

As stated above, I left all cabinets and drawers open, as well as the slides (we keep it at the back of the driveway, by the garage) after going out one day and getting something out of a cabinet. It was like an oven in the cabinets, so I opened them all. No problems after that.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh