User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2019 3170BH and a “new to me” 2018 F250 Lariat 6.7 Diesel crew cab 4x4. The yellow sticker and Fords tow guide states that it has a max tow capacity of 14,100 lbs for both Travel Trailer and 5th Wheel.

We are currently on Vacation with these vehicles and so far have gone 1,500 miles. Most of it in the Southeast US on I75. The truck tows this TT like a champ, the only thing I would suggest is that you make sure you have a professional set up the weight distribution hitch. I did not have a professional set mine up, I read a lot and watched some instructional videos from the manufacturers. I few hours into our trip I stopped and moved the chains up just 1 single notch and it made a significant difference.

Good luck! I love the floor plan!!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Here’s an example of a 2020 F-250 XLT Diesel 4wd Crew Cab W/18” tires and payload sticker. This one has a payload of 2955 lbs. if your is similar then you should be fine.

https://www.brandonford.com/vehicle-...fl-id-35221549
    Nice to see Ford adjusting GVWR where it should be, 2955 good payload for a 3/4 ton diesel.
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2019 Ram 3500 Big Horn Crew 8' bed SRW was less $ than most if not all 2500's because they are more popular, any chance to move up to 3500 I say do it. At 4394 payload my RAM is an easy pull and stop. Remember Max Tow means nothing if you cannot carry it, always about payload, if you can carry it you can pull it.
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate all of the input. The truck has the high capacity tow package and the 3.55 rear axle, so with the 2700+ payload number on the yellow sticker I should be good. I talked to Equalizer and they recommended the 16K hitch. A 13% estimate on tongue weight puts me just under 1,325lbs and a 15% estimate at 1,529lbs. I know the 16K is a relatively new hitch size for them and I am excited to try it out. It was between the 16K and 14k and I went with the higher setup for peace of mind and because I am a bit worried about swag with this 36’11” trailer.

Picking the trailer up in a few weeks and will report back. Thanks again.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MemphisRebel82 View Post
    I am really sorry to pile on to the mountain of "do I have enough truck" questions, but I am a newbie trying to learn as much as I can and figure this out. I know there is a lot of expertise on this board and since my family will be riding with me I want to make sure I have double checked every resource since the cargo is precious.

I am ordering a Grand Design 3250BH. Listed weights are 844lbs Hitch Weight, UVW of 8496 and GVWR of 10,195 lbs.

Tow vehicle is a 2020 F250 SRW with the Powerstroke diesel crew cab 4x4. 3.31 rear axle and 6 3/4' bed. Does not have the high capacity towing package, so Ford lists it at Max Wt carrying of 15,000 and Max Wt Distributing of 15,000.

Hitch will be a Propride 3P.

It appears on paper to be within the specs but I know there is sometimes a difference between what works out on paper and works out in the real world. As a younger man I would have hitched it up and figured it out later, but with the family involved now I would appreciate any feedback the forum might have. Thanks to all.
    I had the same truck in Lariat trim. CCC was 2340, I believe. See Post 6. If that estimate for tongue weight is correct and you have similar CCCto my f250, you would have 900-1000 lbs CCC to spare. I would think you would be OK as long as all of these assumptions are met. The only way to know actual numbers is to take your truck and trailer to a CAT scale and do the weigh routine. Search to find out how to do this. Lots of info out there. When you weigh the truck, pay attention to the axle weights as well. Also be prepared to buy a Weight distribution hitch that has sway control.You will need it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    It's a TOW BEHIND.....not a 5ver
    Reflection can be either a 5th wheel or a TT, not that it matters. Payload is payload.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiejack75 View Post
    Reflection can be either a 5th wheel or a TT, not that it matters. Payload is payload.
    Yes they can, BUT.........he specifically said a 3250BH.....not just any Reflection, and that model is a tow behind, not a 5ver. And if you had read my previous post, there is a HUGE difference on the amount of weight that a 5ver puts on the truck ...vs...a tow behind. In my example I clearly explained it, if you care to go back and read it.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have received a lot of good advice on things to look at so I'll just add this. Your maximum towing capacity is probably not 15,000 lbs. I have a 2020 F150. If you take a quick look at the literature it will say the truck has a max towing capacity of 13,200 lbs. But that is for a very specific truck equipped in a very specific way. When I really dug into the numbers my max towing capacity was around 10,500 lbs. That's a lot less than 13,200 lbs. Not saying yours isn't one that can pull 15,000 lbs but don't go by the brochure. Check out your specific truck. Another number you need to consider is the gross combined vehicle weight rating. You can find it in your owners manual. Add the GVWR of the trailer to the GVWR of the truck and if it's greater than that number you run the risk of being over loaded. Lots of people do it everyday. You have to decide for yourself if it's potentially worth your life and the lives of your family.

You really need to dig into the numbers for your truck to find the true towing capacity. There are spreadsheets and other tools available online that will help you once you know your true numbers.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like a good how much truck thread. When shopping for a truck it never depends on the "max tow" package that you have, payload is the only capacity you need to be concerned with if you can carry it you can pull it period. later Frank

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Yes they can, BUT.........he specifically said a 3250BH.....not just any Reflection, and that model is a tow behind, not a 5ver. And if you had read my previous post, there is a HUGE difference on the amount of weight that a 5ver puts on the truck ...vs...a tow behind. In my example I clearly explained it, if you care to go back and read it.
    The primary difference is percentage of hitch weight.

For a fiver it is expected to be 20 - 25% of trailer weight
    For a bumper pull trailer it is 10 - 15% of trailer weight

That is the primary difference and the heavier you get, the more of your payload you use. Good rule of thumb is for a fiver expect payload weights to be 10% greater than an equivalent bumper pull trailer. Nominal to nominal (13% - 23%).

Good Luck.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast