User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MemphisRebel82 View Post
    I am really sorry to pile on to the mountain of "do I have enough truck" questions, but I am a newbie trying to learn as much as I can and figure this out. I know there is a lot of expertise on this board and since my family will be riding with me I want to make sure I have double checked every resource since the cargo is precious.

I am ordering a Grand Design 3250BH. Listed weights are 844lbs Hitch Weight, UVW of 8496 and GVWR of 10,195 lbs.

Tow vehicle is a 2020 F250 SRW with the Powerstroke diesel crew cab 4x4. 3.31 rear axle and 6 3/4' bed. Does not have the high capacity towing package, so Ford lists it at Max Wt carrying of 15,000 and Max Wt Distributing of 15,000.

Hitch will be a Propride 3P.

It appears on paper to be within the specs but I know there is sometimes a difference between what works out on paper and works out in the real world. As a younger man I would have hitched it up and figured it out later, but with the family involved now I would appreciate any feedback the forum might have. Thanks to all.
    MemphisRebel82..........ignore post #7 and #8.......they mistakenly thought the trailer was a 5th wheel type camping trailer. Do the numbers that I talked about in my previous post to you and see what they come out to. You may be pretty close on payload.....or slightly under or over. Just do the numbers though.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am really sorry to pile on to the mountain of "do I have enough truck" questions, but I am a newbie trying to learn as much as I can and figure this out. I know there is a lot of expertise on this board and since my family will be riding with me I want to make sure I have double checked every resource since the cargo is precious.

I am ordering a Grand Design 3250BH. Listed weights are 844lbs Hitch Weight, UVW of 8496 and GVWR of 10,195 lbs.

Tow vehicle is a 2020 F250 SRW with the Powerstroke diesel crew cab 4x4. 3.31 rear axle and 6 3/4' bed. Does not have the high capacity towing package, so Ford lists it at Max Wt carrying of 15,000 and Max Wt Distributing of 15,000.

Hitch will be a Propride 3P.

It appears on paper to be within the specs but I know there is sometimes a difference between what works out on paper and works out in the real world. As a younger man I would have hitched it up and figured it out later, but with the family involved now I would appreciate any feedback the forum might have. Thanks to all.
    What does the yellow tire and loading sticker say for max cargo and passengers?

As others stated the real hitch weight will be about 1200 lbs or so with that trailer.

Some 2020 F250 raised the GVWR from 10,000 lbs to 10,800 or so. So your payload can range from 2100-2900 lbs on the Yellow sticker.

The Propride weighs close to 200 lbs and it is the best out there for towing comfort.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here’s an example of a 2020 F-250 XLT Diesel 4wd Crew Cab W/18” tires and payload sticker. This one has a payload of 2955 lbs. if your is similar then you should be fine.

https://www.brandonford.com/vehicle-...fl-id-35221549
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 264A7461-4762-4E75-8EA2-14F4A4685A24.jpg   686CDEAF-774E-420B-A97B-87306835A1DC.jpg  
    Jerry & Linda
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the information - I am really glad I checked here. I was so focused on towing capacity I had taken my eye off the ball on total payload.

I did not own the truck yet but was about to get it - based on this information I went back to the drawing board. It had a listed payload capacity of 2243lbs. I am thinking 1300 for the tongue weight, 200 for the hitch, 600 for passengers, so 2100 total before we added other cargo.

The dealer had another F250 on the lot with the 3.55 rear axle and it had a payload capacity of 2,712lbs. That gives me a bit more wiggle room on payload, so I think I am going to go with that one instead. Luckily for me the price difference was very small and I will enjoy having more room to still be under the total payload numbers. Thanks again for the help.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    Ain't payload ... payload?

Whether it's on the bumper or over the axle it stills weighs something. Hitch weight of 1300 pounds plus whatever is in or on the truck.

Am I incorrect?
    Yes, you are incorrect. You were assuming that it was a 5ver, which traditionally puts 20+ % of the trailer weight on the truck as pin weight. The tow behind trailers average about 13% of the trailer weight on the truck as tongue weight. So assuming a 10,200 lb GVWR of the trailer and it actually being a tow behind, that would come up to approx 1300 lbs. If that same trailer...10,200 lb was 5th wheel trailer and an average of even 20% of that being pin weight, now you're talking 2040 lb of pin weight. The difference is obvious a little over 700 lb being put on the truck....which could be the difference between a normal F250 diesel being able to handle that trailer or be right at the payload capacity of the truck with only the trailer and hitch.....no room for passengers, other cargo in the truck, etc. etc. So yes, it makes quite a lot of difference.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the information - I am really glad I checked here. I was so focused on towing capacity I had taken my eye off the ball on total payload.

I did not own the truck yet but was about to get it - based on this information I went back to the drawing board. It had a listed payload capacity of 2243lbs. I am thinking 1300 for the tongue weight, 200 for the hitch, 600 for passengers, so 2100 total before we added other cargo.

The dealer had another F250 on the lot with the 3.55 rear axle and it had a payload capacity of 2,712lbs. That gives me a bit more wiggle room on payload, so I think I am going to go with that one instead. Luckily for me the price difference was very small and I will enjoy having more room to still be under the total payload numbers. Thanks again for the help.
    If you have not bought the truck yet seriously consider a F350. It will give you about 3500 lbs of payload and if you decide to ever go to a 5th wheel in the 14000 lb range it should be able to handle it.

The 350 and 250 ride the same unloaded if you have standard front springs. If you get HD or Snow Plow front suspension it will ride a little harsher.
    Jerry & Linda

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This was exactly my point. Bumper pull or fifth wheel it’s irrelevant. Payload is payload.
    3/4 ton trucks should be skipped due to limited payload numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys still seem to be missing the point I am making here. There is a considerable difference between the amount of weight that a tow behind puts on a truck vs. a trailer of the same weight...but it's a 5ver. A truck that could possibly work for a tow behind may be way overloaded if that same weight trailer was a 5th Wheel. And as I clearly showed in my previous post, a trailer of the same weight....one being a tow behind and the other a 5ver, there would be a 700+ lb difference in the amount of weight put on the truck. In the original poster's scenario, that trailer's tongue weight (at GVWR of the trailer) and the hitch, totalled up to around 1500 lbs. That would leave him approx 700 lb to add to the truck to get to the payload numbers on the truck. If the trailer were a 5th Wheel trailer, and using the same GVWR of 10,200 lbs, the trailer itself would be 2040 lbs, and normal 5ver hitch adding another 175 lbs or so and he would be at the payload capacity of the truck...with ZERO room for passengers, other cargo, etc. So again, it does make a difference, as I stated earlier.

The original OP does state that he will be adding something like an additional 600 lb in passengers, cargo, etc. and that would put the first truck he was considering, right at the payload capacity of the truck. Doable, but obviously not the best situation. And I agree, if he is going to be that close to payload numbers of the truck, then either get a 2020 that has a 600 to 700 lb increase in payload capacity for the 3/4T truck, or just go ahead and make the 1 Ton truck with even more payload capacity the truck of choice. That way there are options for the future if he does decide to upgrade to a 5th Wheel at some point in the future.
    Last edited by xrated; 07-03-2020 at 05:27 AM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    towing that trailer behind that truck you will not even know it is there. I believe the combined weight rating (GCWR) for that truck and engine combination is 27K fifth wheel and about 24K bumper tow.
    Gary & Debbie Reischer
    Chadds Ford, Pa
    2020 Solitude 2930RL-R
    2015 F350 Lariat CC 6.7 Diesel Pull Rite 4400 Super Glide Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just looked it up. Without high capacity trailer tow option, your combined weight rating is 23500 with trailer of 15000 lbs
    Gary & Debbie Reischer
    Chadds Ford, Pa
    2020 Solitude 2930RL-R
    2015 F350 Lariat CC 6.7 Diesel Pull Rite 4400 Super Glide Hitch

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast