User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another "Do I have enough truck?" question...

I am really sorry to pile on to the mountain of "do I have enough truck" questions, but I am a newbie trying to learn as much as I can and figure this out. I know there is a lot of expertise on this board and since my family will be riding with me I want to make sure I have double checked every resource since the cargo is precious.

I am ordering a Grand Design 3250BH. Listed weights are 844lbs Hitch Weight, UVW of 8496 and GVWR of 10,195 lbs.

Tow vehicle is a 2020 F250 SRW with the Powerstroke diesel crew cab 4x4. 3.31 rear axle and 6 3/4' bed. Does not have the high capacity towing package, so Ford lists it at Max Wt carrying of 15,000 and Max Wt Distributing of 15,000.

Hitch will be a Propride 3P.

It appears on paper to be within the specs but I know there is sometimes a difference between what works out on paper and works out in the real world. As a younger man I would have hitched it up and figured it out later, but with the family involved now I would appreciate any feedback the forum might have. Thanks to all.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the advanced search to see all the previous truck towing threads.....it’s a library
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MemphisRebel82 View Post
    I am really sorry to pile on to the mountain of "do I have enough truck" questions, but I am a newbie trying to learn as much as I can and figure this out. I know there is a lot of expertise on this board and since my family will be riding with me I want to make sure I have double checked every resource since the cargo is precious.

I am ordering a Grand Design 3250BH. Listed weights are 844lbs Hitch Weight, UVW of 8496 and GVWR of 10,195 lbs.

Tow vehicle is a 2020 F250 SRW with the Powerstroke diesel crew cab 4x4. 3.31 rear axle and 6 3/4' bed. Does not have the high capacity towing package, so Ford lists it at Max Wt carrying of 15,000 and Max Wt Distributing of 15,000.

It appears on paper to be within the specs but I know there is sometimes a difference between what works out on paper and works out in the real world. As a younger man I would have hitched it up and figured it out later, but with the family involved now I would appreciate any feedback the forum might have. Thanks to all.
    What is your payload rating on the door post of your truck? After you know that number add the weight of all passengers, hitch, and all stuff you'll put in the truck PLUS the trailers tongue weight. If that total number is not exceeding your payload it looks like you might be fine.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Dave & Debbie
    ----------------------
    2021 Ford F150 Lariat PowerBoost Supercrew 4x4 with 7.2kW generator
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastinAmerica View Post
    Use the advanced search to see all the previous truck towing threads.....it’s a library
    You're definitely right about that! I have been digging through but tough to find a direct apples to apples comparison or an example with the 3250BH in particular. It looks like the 250's with powerstrokes have no problem with many of other models, but this 3250 is a big one.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Dave stated above, start with actual payload number for your truck. I suspect you'll be ok having towed very similar with a big-block Yukon 2500XL and an Equal-i-zer. In the novel of search results there's a link to some excellent calculators to help you. I apologize as I don't have it bookmarked as I've been dragging something behind my vehicles so long I can do them in my head.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That trailer, on average will put approx. 1300 lbs of tongue weight on the back of your truck.....based on it being fully loaded (10,200 lbs) and using the 13% number for a close "guesstimate". The weight of your W.D. hitch is unknown to me, but whatever that is, add it to the 1300 lbs for tongue weight. Next up is to add all the other things that will go in/on the truck, both the cab area and the bed. When everything is totalled (let's say that number comes out to 2000 lbs), look on the driver's side door post and find the white sticker with yellow highlighted areas on it and it will tell you the CCC or Cargo Carrying Capacity of the truck. I will tell you though, the F250 diesel trucks do NOT have a lot of payload capacity because of the engine/transmission's weight. If that same truck were a gasser instead of a diesel, whatever your payload number is would be 800 to 900 lbs more. Only you know how much weight you will put in/on the truck once you use the approx. 1300 lbs of tongue weight number. Hope this helps
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Another "Do I have enough truck?" question...

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisRebel82 View Post

You’re going to be way overweight on payload.
    I have an F250 diesel 4x4 almost same specs and I’m 500# overweight with a 9k# Reflection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MemphisRebel82 you will be overweight. If you already own the truck the question is: Do you care?

There are dozens of threads about being over payload and you can read through them to your heart's content. But distilling all of the noise and urban legend out of the discussion, it is possible to upgrade your suspension to engineering equivalent or superior to a 1 ton truck fairly inexpensively. This can be done with air bags and/or helper springs. There are essentially no other substantive differences between the 3/4 to 1 ton trucks.

What is not possible is for you to be in compliance with the little yellow sticker. You are about to learn a new term called "The Weight Police". Some will say that your insurance company will disavow knowledge of your policy, the state will take your children, and the local police will shoot your dog if you have an accident. No one has ever offered any proof that anyone has ever received a citation or been denied an insurance claim because they were over payload on a non-commercial travel trailer.

The choice is up to you.
    Last edited by JColeman; 07-02-2020 at 12:41 PM.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    You’re going to be way overweight on payload.
    I have an F250 diesel 4x4 almost same specs and I’m 500# overweight with a 9k# Reflection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's a TOW BEHIND.....not a 5ver
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    It's a TOW BEHIND........not a 5ver.
    Ain't payload ... payload?

Whether it's on the bumper or over the axle it stills weighs something. Hitch weight of 1300 pounds plus whatever is in or on the truck.

Am I incorrect?
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast