User Tag List

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water Not Getting Hot

Hi,

We aren't getting any hot water. It worked before we brought it in for service, but now it's not getting hot on Electric or gas. Any troubleshooting steps we can take?
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Verify HWH tank is full and valves in all the proper orientation. Next make sure it's getting 12VDC power and igniting on gas. Verify 120VAC for the electric element.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK82 View Post
    We aren't getting any hot water. It worked before we brought it in for service, but now it's not getting hot on Electric or gas. Any troubleshooting steps we can take?
    Have you checked to see if the tank is getting hot?

If tests suggested by @geotex1 above all pass, then the tank should be getting pretty warm. Check where the drain plug is located, is the tank wall in that area hot?

If it is, the hot water in the tank isn't getting out of it and the likely cause of that is a failed check valve on the tank where the hot water outlet exits the tank. I'm not familiar with what heater is used in the Imagine line or how it's installed. The Reflection and Solitude trailers we've owned had/have a Suburban water heater with the outlet and check valve on the rear wall of the tank near the top.

The check valve allows hot water out while preventing cold water from coming in the outlet. The valves have generally lasted a couple of years or so but there has been a large handful of reports here of the valve failing on 2020 trailers after only weeks or months of use. It may be that Grand Design is using a bad batch of them.

It's an inexpensive part and often easy to install. Here are a couple of videos, not Grand-Design-specific but likely useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcBZ6K19pWc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMqm_dPme8k

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The other thing to check is to be sure the outside shower valves are closed. If open the allow the hot/cold to mix. Also make sure the 110 plug is plugged it too.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's fixed, turns out I didn't have the propane on, but it works now on both electric and gas.
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Learned something today by glancing through this thread... New 380FL owner. I knew how to troubleshoot water heater problems but have never owned a unit with a Nautilus system. We had dry camped one night on our current trip, and I had not returned the system to city water mode afterward. Fail #1 . Aaaaaand I had used the outside sprayer to rinse hands after setup when we arrived at current site, but had not closed fixture handles afterward. So even when I switched Nautilus system to city water to correct Fail #1 , I only had tepid water. My power looked good, but heater wouldn’t fire up. No DSI light. Because the tank was already full of hot water, but it was mixing via the spray fixture as mentioned in this thread and elsewhere. So Fail #2 discovered and corrected. All good.

I had pretty much decided to call a mobile tech, but thought it couldn’t hurt to glance through the Forum before jumping. You guys saved me an unnecessary expense and I’ll enjoy a peaceful night of sleep!
    Home is where you park it!
    2021 Solitude 380FL
    2014 Silverado 3500HD LTZ DRW 6.6L Duramax Allison 6 Speed
    RVing since 1996; Full Time since 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, add me to the list of no hot water as well. Everything worked great last night and this morning but no hot water tonight. It is slightly warmer than just the cold water but not by much. Nothing to my knowledge was messed with while we’re here at camp. I did check the breaker and that was not tripped but I reset it anyway. I don’t hear it trying to fire on gas alone either. It’s late now so I’ll dig into it in the morning. Hopefully it’s an easy fix, I could really use a shower.

This may be a dumb question but, I can just leave the electric water heater switch on as long as I have water and shore power correct?
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by That 1 Ron View Post
    Well, add me to the list of no hot water as well. Everything worked great last night and this morning but no hot water tonight. It is slightly warmer than just the cold water but not by much. Nothing to my knowledge was messed with while we’re here at camp. I did check the breaker and that was not tripped but I reset it anyway. I don’t hear it trying to fire on gas alone either. It’s late now so I’ll dig into it in the morning. Hopefully it’s an easy fix, I could really use a shower.

This may be a dumb question but, I can just leave the electric water heater switch on as long as I have water and shore power correct?
    Yes. I only run propane when we take showers one after the other. Then turn propane off and leave electric on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news! I seemed to have fixed the issue. It was a bad connection at the thermostat. I found it as I was testing for power with my volt meter.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    The other thing to check is to be sure the outside shower valves are closed. If open the allow the hot/cold to mix. Also make sure the 110 plug is plugged it too.
    Yep. That was it (outside shower valves). Thanks. It was driving me crazy!
    2019 Solitude 310 GK-R
    2018 GMC 3500 Diesel SRW