Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black and Gray water valves

My friend has a 330 reflection. This last time out he was getting ready to flush his black and gray tanks. He opened his black tank valve and the tank started draining then it stopped and then it started up again. Any ideas what would cause this to happen. Is it the toilet paper? Any suggestions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ​Most likely not using enough water when flushing, that combined with TP type causes most problems like that.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, what WhittleBurner said. I carry one of these just in case I get a total blockage but haven't had to use it yet. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2019 303RLS Reflection 5th Wheel
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC/SB/SRW 6.7L Diesel
    B&W Companion Slider Hitch

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzfire1 View Post
    My friend has a 330 reflection. This last time out he was getting ready to flush his black and gray tanks. He opened his black tank valve and the tank started draining then it stopped and then it started up again. Any ideas what would cause this to happen. Is it the toilet paper? Any suggestions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It’s the dreaded poo pyramid!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    It’s the dreaded poo pyramid!
    The Service guy at GD told me to put an 8# bag of ice down the toilet every once in a while before a long drive... it will swish around and break your poo pyramid up. So far it has worked pretty well!
    John Wood and Pat Shackelford
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    2016 F250 KR FX4
    Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 3000QB
    2 Australian Shepherds and looking forward to retirement...

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzfire1 View Post
    As others have said, it sure sounds as though something clumpy got to the outlet and blocked it for a while. Lucky for him that it broke up without messy intervention by him.

It's a Very Good Idea to add water to all gray and black tanks immediately after they are dumped, every time. I add about five gallons, other experienced and knowledgeable people go as high as ten gallons. The water ensures that things can't clump and pile up on the floor of the tank.

Every few times that I have dumped and charged with five gallons of fresh water, I add water softener powder and Dawn dish soap to the tank. This is called the GEO Method (google that) and is very commonly done by RV owners. (Some people use PineSol rather than dish soap.) The additives not only help with ensuring that everything in the tank goes out when dumping, but also help to keep sensors clean and more likely to work properly than they otherwise will.

This charging with water and detergents is especially effective if the trailer goes for a ride to its next campsite after it has been dumped and charged. The sloshing around of water, with or without cleaners in it, does nothing but good things to help avoid problems with sewage tanks.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch