User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do they make trucks so high!

Let me start out by saying I have never towed a RV. Back in the early 80's I pulled a 14' flat bottom boat but nothing since then. I have a 2020 Chevy silverado 2500hd duromax diesel LTZ with avail payload of 3136lbs. I went to the closest Grand Design dealer to look at the 295rls. I measured the overhang at 60" and measured my truck bed rail height at 59". How do I tow a fifth wheel with 1" clearance? What do I need to get the trailer to tow level?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your unsprung height of the truck isn't a concern. There were some issues a few years ago when there was a mismatch between the automotive industry and the RV industry, but not now when talking new truck pulling new 5er. The 5er pin weight, plus the hitch weight, will squat the truck considerably. There are adjustments on 5er hitches as well as for the pin box in the wings. You should have no issue getting adjusted into level barring, of course, a lifted truck on wagon wheels.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad to hear that. I called a couple of truck places that lift them and asked about lowering. They asked why would you do that. Lol. I was a kid once. Now I'm past the legal speed limit in most states and running in the fast lane to pass the rest of them.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So many owners think you've got to have huge tires on pickup trucks--even 1/2 ton trucks.

The truth be known that those tall tires do nothing for owners--other than making a step ladder needed to get in the truck.

And 1/2 ton trucks are for looks. They're sprung like an old Crown Victoria and don't have much cargo carrying capabilities. Nice thing is that they will tow a light or medium size trailer.

My 2020 F150 is about 5 inches higher than I'd like, and it's actually tougher to get in than my F250 2x4 truck. I wish they made a spacer that'd lower my running boards just a little.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    My 2020 F150 is about 5 inches higher than I'd like, and it's actually tougher to get in than my F250 2x4 truck. I wish they made a spacer that'd lower my running boards just a little.
    There is a fix for that but it's not cheap. My 2017 F250 had the fixed running boards and they were way to high. The new truck has the power running boards and they drop down much lower to step in. They can be ordered through aftermarket sources and really make it easier to get in and out of the truck. A bit pricey but might be a fix for you.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    There is a fix for that but it's not cheap. My 2017 F250 had the fixed running boards and they were way to high. The new truck has the power running boards and they drop down much lower to step in. They can be ordered through aftermarket sources and really make it easier to get in and out of the truck. A bit pricey but might be a fix for you.
    My 2017 F150 came with the power drop down running boards. They are lower than fixed running boards. The power step drops down when door is opened and goes up when door is closed. I have been told that amp research made them.My F150 was 23" from ground to floorboard,and the step was 13" off ground. My 2020 2500 chevy is 28" from ground to floorboard and we are getting the aries actionTrac installed.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan&Deb View Post
    My 2017 F150 came with the power drop down running boards. They are lower than fixed running boards. The power step drops down when door is opened and goes up when door is closed. I have been told that amp research made them.My F150 was 23" from ground to floorboard,and the step was 13" off ground. My 2020 2500 chevy is 28" from ground to floorboard and we are getting the aries actionTrac installed.
    I haven't seen that brand or style before but looks like a nice solution, hope they work well for you!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. My new F150 has the 20" tires and it looks about the same height as 4x4 models. Even the tailgate is much taller off the ground than my F250 2x4.

The extra two or three inches of floor height make you have to step up on the running boards to get in rather than sitting in the seat and sliding my legs in. It's just a little uncomfortable to get in.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The federal standard for vertical clearance on an INTERSTATE is 16ft over the entire width of the roadway. For highways used for defense purposes, the vertical clearance is 17ft. This standard started in 2014 so there are a lot of overpasses that were not due for replacement so they will be at the old 13.6ft. Michigan requires a permit for anything over 13.6ft.
    Patrick & Marla with Boomer and Sooner

2007 Chev 2500 Allison Duramax
    2014 Solitude 368RD

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phansen404 View Post
    .... Michigan requires a permit for anything over 13.6ft.
    Wow! I just looked at my solitude brochure and all the current solitudes are 13'5".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast