User Tag List

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    You can keep posting the same questions others have asked and hoping for answers or use my suggestion and actually find them.
    I couldn’t care less either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Strike 3, you are out cyber bully. Maybe you should just ignore my posts and don't respond. Problem solved. I don't need your permission to post.
    BTW, I used the search function yesterday morning, to which you posted your first snide remark, so you already knew that I had used it. But you had to come back with 2 more snide remarks after that. Get a life, 'bro'
    Last edited by Grandesigner; 08-11-2020 at 07:34 AM.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    Strike 3, you are out cyber bully. Maybe you should just ignore my posts and don't respond. Problem solved. I don't need your permission to post.
    BTW, I used the search function yesterday morning, to which you posted your first snide remark, so you already knew that I had used it. But you had to come back with 2 more snide remarks after that. Get a life, 'bro'
    I apologize, but you could "just ignore my posts" as well.
    You should check out the Grand Design solar facebook group.
    There's over a thousand members, all with solar and all are GD owners.
    PM me and I'll send you a link.
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 08-11-2020 at 12:07 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    On a side note, I see that several folks have newish 3/4 or 1 ton diesel trucks to pull these '1/2 ton' units. Nothing succeeds like wretched excess but wouldn't a newer gasser do the job as well?
    I currently have a y2k F250 powerstroke which will work just fine, but when I look for a modern truck I would hope it doesn't have to be a diesel...thoughts?
    I'll share my experience.

I had a 1/2 ton F150 XLT with the 3.5 Ecoboost turbo and a 3.55 rear axle and towing package We used it to tow a TT that weighed 5700 lbs (dry weight). The engine was a beast and had no problem pulling that TT; it had engine braking in the tow/haul mode, too. However, when towing on the interstate (over 50 mph), the rig was highly susceptible to outside influences (wind, truck draft, road condition, etc.) that resulted in a fair amount of "white knuckle" towing. It wasn't bad for a weekend jaunt here and there, but it was readily apparent that it wouldn't work for some long range travels in our plans.

We decided to upgrade to a 5'r to try to get a more stable pull. We looked at the 5'rs marketed as "1/2 ton towable", but quickly realized that the weight difference would create an uncomfortable situation. The 3.5 Ecoboost would certainly pull the 295RL that we were going to buy, but the total weight (dry weight and cargo weight) would have the F150 near its max capacity. This would likely begin to overtax the turbo at some point, and I wasn't sure the F150 could adequately stop the 295RL on a mountain descent.

We decided to go 3/4 ton, and looked at pretty much everything out there. After a lot of research, we decided that the 6.7L Cummins Diesel engine was what we wanted. A close friend owns a diesel shop - his comment was, "Of all the Diesel engines I work on, I work on that one the least." So, we traded the F150 for a Ram 2500 with the Cummins diesel.

Net result - the Ram 2500 diesel was a far more comfortable pull, and actually rides more smoothly than the F150 did while towing. Outside influences were minimized, and the truck pulls and stops flawlessly. No more white knuckles; DW is comfortable pulling this rig. We couldn't be happier with both the truck and the 5'r.
    Mike 🏌️⛳️
    2017 Ram 2500 CC, 6.7L Cummins Diesel 🐏
    2022 Solitude S-Class 2930RL-R
    Full-time since 8/9/21

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshhm View Post
    I'll share my experience.

I had a 1/2 ton F150 XLT with the 3.5 Ecoboost turbo and a 3.55 rear axle and towing package We used it to tow a TT that weighed 5700 lbs (dry weight). The engine was a beast and had no problem pulling that TT; it had engine braking in the tow/haul mode, too. However, when towing on the interstate (over 50 mph), the rig was highly susceptible to outside influences (wind, truck draft, road condition, etc.) that resulted in a fair amount of "white knuckle" towing. It wasn't bad for a weekend jaunt here and there, but it was readily apparent that it wouldn't work for some long range travels in our plans.

We decided to upgrade to a 5'r to try to get a more stable pull. We looked at the 5'rs marketed as "1/2 ton towable", but quickly realized that the weight difference would create an uncomfortable situation. The 3.5 Ecoboost would certainly pull the 295RL that we were going to buy, but the total weight (dry weight and cargo weight) would have the F150 near its max capacity. This would likely begin to overtax the turbo at some point, and I wasn't sure the F150 could adequately stop the 295RL on a mountain descent.

We decided to go 3/4 ton, and looked at pretty much everything out there. After a lot of research, we decided that the 6.7L Cummins Diesel engine was what we wanted. A close friend owns a diesel shop - his comment was, "Of all the Diesel engines I work on, I work on that one the least." So, we traded the F150 for a Ram 2500 with the Cummins diesel.

Net result - the Ram 2500 diesel was a far more comfortable pull, and actually rides more smoothly than the F150 did while towing. Outside influences were minimized, and the truck pulls and stops flawlessly. No more white knuckles; DW is comfortable pulling this rig. We couldn't be happier with both the truck and the 5'r.
    I agree with all this, but would skip the 3/4 ton and just get the 1 ton. Same truck but WAY more payload.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with all this, but would skip the 3/4 ton and just get the 1 ton. Same truck but WAY more payload.
    Indeed, but I didn't want a DRW, and finding a SRW in 1 ton wasn't looking very promising when I was in the market. I did find a GREAT deal on a used 3/4 ton, and since it capably met my needs, I jumped on it. The extra payload would be nice, but I'm very happy with what I got. Bonus - the wife loves the truck we got.
    Mike 🏌️⛳️
    2017 Ram 2500 CC, 6.7L Cummins Diesel 🐏
    2022 Solitude S-Class 2930RL-R
    Full-time since 8/9/21

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried tightening it as well. Also filed the front of the clamp to try and get it tighter, that didn't work either.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocalarv View Post
    I tried tightening it as well. Also filed the front of the clamp to try and get it tighter, that didn't work either.
    ??? What are you talking about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm now trying a plastic wedge (cut plastic cup). seams a little tighter. might try 2. I think it's a poor design, I wish they could retrofit something else.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocalarv View Post
    I'm now trying a plastic wedge (cut plastic cup). seams a little tighter. might try 2.
    I think it's a poor design, I wish they could retrofit something else.
    I like cheese.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gijake View Post
    I have the new 1 pole and have tightened it as much as it will go. Still wobbles.

Anyone have ideas on how to fix this? I can't line up the finishing nails with the holes.Attachment 28158
    I like cheese.
    I like a stable table for my cheese.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast