Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuel station not pumping

Momentum 25G - tank is 3/4 full, pump is running and gears are turning. You can hear the pump trying to pump when you pulll the triggers buf no gas. Worked OK the first couple of trip???

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hate to hear you're having this problem. I'm in a similar boat, but my pump seems to pop the breaker every time I try to use it.

From what I've found in researching the issue, the stock hardware components that make up the fuel pump are cheap and tend to absorb fuel when not in use (or drained between uses). This absorption saturates the components, which swell, causing them to slow and eventually stop.

I don't know for sure, because this is the first time I have the pleasure of working through this issue, but my plan is to replace the stock pump with another stock pump. Knowing full well that I'll likely face the issue again, I'll be researching alternative pumps of higher quality and reputation, and hope that my second replacement fixes the issues.

These systems are simple, and there aren't many points of failure. If there is fuel in the tank, and the pump is running but no fuel is dispensed, you're likely looking at some component(s) within the fuel pump having failed.

Keep us posted.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply I think I fixed it. I believe the antisyphon valve was stuck. I put the pump close to the ground and just continued to trigger it and it opened...

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a period of time when GPI was shipping pumps that had gears that would swell, especially when using ethanol-containing gasoline. Using ethanol-free generally avoids the issue. You can get replacement gears from GPI that don't swell as much in ethanol fuel, and I believe they have been using them in shipping pumps for some time.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other possibility is a blockage in the vent system for the tank....think insects like wasps, hornets, etc. There is a charcoal filter in the vent system and is usually located on the opposite side of the pump nozzle side of the tank. But, I will say this, the GPI pumps are basically junk, I've gone through two of them...one on my previous Toy Hauler and one on the aux. tank for diesel fuel in the bed of my truck. I now use a Fill-Rite brand in my truck aux. tank and have had zero issues with it.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    There was a period of time when GPI was shipping pumps that had gears that would swell, especially when using ethanol-containing gasoline. Using ethanol-free generally avoids the issue. You can get replacement gears from GPI that don't swell as much in ethanol fuel, and I believe they have been using them in shipping pumps for some time.
    Thanks for this update! I will be investigating the options for replacing gears too!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope didnt fix it... its like its vapor locked or something. Vent seems to be OK because the genset runs off the tank with the same vent?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GD pinched the fuel line on mine between the garage floor and the trailer frame. Some day I'll cut the line and reroute it.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73