User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which Equalizer to buy?

I am picking up a new Imagine 3250BH in a few weeks and have decided to go with an Equalizer, but was looking for recommendations on which weight to buy. The listed trailer tongue weight is 844lbs, and GVWR is 10,195lbs. At 13% of GVWR on the tongue that would be 1,325lbs, and at 15% that would be 1,529lb tongue weight.

Should I order the 1,400lb Equalizer or spring for the 1,600lb? Any downside to just doing the 1,600 other than a couple bucks higher cost? Thanks for any input.

ETA - I have done a lot of searching online and used different calculators, and it looks like I fall right between the two options depending on which % I use to estimate tongue weight. That is why I posted here, really to see if there was any downside to going 1,600.
    Last edited by MemphisRebel82; 07-03-2020 at 04:27 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you really want to know call them. I have called them 2 times over the years and always get someone that is helpful. They made the new 16k and I an sure that they will tell you that one for your needs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Kenny & Susan "Freddie" on board
    2019 Reflection 297rsts
    2017 F250 6.2
    14k Equalizer

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retired Copper View Post
    If you really want to know call them. I have called them 2 times over the years and always get someone that is helpful. They made the new 16k and I an sure that they will tell you that one for your needs.
    I agree with "call them". I emailed (contact us on the site) when we upgraded from a 6,500 to an 8,500 TT. They didn't try to sell me a 1,200/12K e4. They confirmed that my 1,000/10K e4 was plenty...just needed to re-adjust the head/washers to fit the new TT/TV.
    2019 GD Imagine 2600RB
    Maxxis M8008 ST Radial 225/75R-15 E 10-ply tires
    MoRryde CRE2-35 CRE3000 w/ wet bolt kit & X-Factor cross-member
    Furrion Observation camera with 5-inch monitor
    Equalizer WDH 1,000/10,000

2018 Toyota Tundra SR5 Extended Cab
    Michelin Defender LTX E-rated tires
    RoadMaster Active Suspension (in lieu of TRD sway bar and airbags)
    BakFLip MX4 hard-folding tonneau cover
    Putco Blade LED Tailgate Light Bar
    Westin stainless R7 running boards

Southern Arizona - We're close to Tombstone and can see Mexico (Mt. San Jose) from our backyard.
    US Army, Retired

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Talked it over with them and we agreed on the 1,600 tongue weight hitch to play it safe. Would rather err on the side of more sway reduction than too little, and the numbers are still in the ballpark to where the 1600 wouldn't be overkill.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MemphisRebel82 View Post
    I am picking up a new Imagine 3250BH in a few weeks and have decided to go with an Equalizer, but was looking for recommendations on which weight to buy. The listed trailer tongue weight is 844lbs, and GVWR is 10,195lbs. At 13% of GVWR on the tongue that would be 1,325lbs, and at 15% that would be 1,529lb tongue weight.

Should I order the 1,400lb Equalizer or spring for the 1,600lb? Any downside to just doing the 1,600 other than a couple bucks higher cost? Thanks for any input.

ETA - I have done a lot of searching online and used different calculators, and it looks like I fall right between the two options depending on which % I use to estimate tongue weight. That is why I posted here, really to see if there was any downside to going 1,600.
    So why is it that it seems that ALL mfg's under publish the tongue weights? I keep telling my wife this and she won't believe me. We're looking at the Momentum 28G with a published TW of 1300 and GVWR of 12000. What can I 'realistically expect? 12% = 1467; 15% = 1800!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure why. My research showed to estimate 13%-15% of GVWR for tongue weight, so your expectations appear reasonable.

I could have gotten by with the 1400lb Equalizer at a 13% estimate but went with thr 1600 for a few reasons. I am sure my wife is going to load a lot of weight in the trailer, I am planning to move from 20lb propane tanks to 30lb tanks, and at 36’11” this is a LONG trailer and I will accept a stiffer ride for more sway control.

Scary thing, to your point, is my listed tongue weight is 844lbs so the dealer was trying to sell me the 1,000lb tongue weight Equalizer. Seems like that would have been way too little. I bought the 1600lb myself and had it shipped to the dealer for them to install prior to pickup.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MemphisRebel82 View Post
    Not sure why. My research showed to estimate 13%-15% of GVWR for tongue weight, so your expectations appear reasonable.

I could have gotten by with the 1400lb Equalizer at a 13% estimate but went with thr 1600 for a few reasons. I am sure my wife is going to load a lot of weight in the trailer, I am planning to move from 20lb propane tanks to 30lb tanks, and at 36’11” this is a LONG trailer and I will accept a stiffer ride for more sway control.

Scary thing, to your point, is my listed tongue weight is 844lbs so the dealer was trying to sell me the 1,000lb tongue weight Equalizer. Seems like that would have been way too little. I bought the 1600lb myself and had it shipped to the dealer for them to install prior to pickup.
    Well, like lots of folks say don't believe what you hear from dealers, they want to sell you a trailer. My salesman AND the GM both told me I could use a 1200/12000 Equalizer on the 28G that has a published (ie low) figure of 1300!