Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going over 13'6"?

On my 351M the height as stated by GD is 13'5". I, like many others, have a truck height problem, I'd like to have more clearance for the 5er over the truck. It's fine most of the time, but there are some situations that I can get into where it gets really, really close. I'm towing with a Goosebox, and I'm considering just raising the ball up a little bit (although, OMG, is that ball expensive! 300 bucks for a BALL!!!), I think that'll get me another 1.5" or so. However, of course, that has the problem of changing the towing angle, I'm pretty close to level right now, going "up" on the ball will result in being a little further out of level.

It seems like this is a really common problem on new trucks, so, in my reading on the issue, someone mentioned Lippert Correct Track:

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-87220...00JMHF15G?th=1

As a possible way to fix this issue. It give about 1.5-2" of additional height on the trailer which would also likely solve my problem. My question is, if the stated height is right (13'5") then adding CorrectTrack would take me to 13'7" or so, above the normal "limit". I rarely look at clearance signs today, but I understand that there are a lot of bridges and overpasses sized with 13'6" as the max height? Anyone here take their up higher? Is it a problem in a lot of places/few places/nowhere?

Any other ideas for how to get better clearance? Raise the ball, raise the trailer or lower the truck? I did see some lowering blocks available for a F450, can't seem to find any for a 2019 though. What about leveling the truck (adding lift to the front)? Seems like that might work to gain a little more in the back because the truck wouldn't be as "raked" forward.

Thanks!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably the “best” solution is a dedicated 5th wheel truck bed. Bed clearance issues go away. Not the cheapest solution though.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking for a list of maximum vehicle height by state, I found that we were over the legal limit (13') when we towed the Reflection through Colorado. I'm sure that limit has to do with the many tunnels on the roads through the mountains, etc. Anyway, of the states that have height limits, about 2/3 of them have set it at 13' 6".

That said, if you have the MORryde independent suspension installed, they ask you how tall you want the trailer and can add any amount of height you ask for with the subframe (we did that on our Reflection 337 because of the taller truck we had at the time). Other than that, I would vote for lowering the truck a bit. I would be concerned about any solutions (pin box/ball adjustments) that would put the trailer nose high.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Probably the “best” solution is a dedicated 5th wheel truck bed. Bed clearance issues go away. Not the cheapest solution though.
    Certainly solves any clearance problems, but also makes the truck single purpose. Not so easy to go pick up trees or load the back up with mulch without a bed.

If I was full time and never used my truck for anything else, I'd certainly look at that, but, honestly, what I have now is "pretty close". I've never hit, I've just been too close for comfort and would like to get a little breathing room. An 1 or 2 would be plenty.

I saw the new 2020's are a bit lower, so apparently truck makers realize that they are getting so high that the thing these vehicles are best at they can no longer do.

A lowering block on the truck (if one exists) and an inch or 2 on the trailer would be more than enough, I'm just not sure if I'm setting myself up for disaster by going a little higher than 13'6". Since this kit is offered by Lippert though, and it's designed for 5th wheels, I kind of sit here wondering.. Aren't they all basically 13'6" coming out of the factory? If so, who can actually use this alignment kit?!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Looking for a list of maximum vehicle height by state, I found that we were over the legal limit (13') when we towed the Reflection through Colorado. I'm sure that limit has to do with the many tunnels on the roads through the mountains, etc. Anyway, of the states that have height limits, about 2/3 of them have set it at 13' 6".

That said, if you have the MORryde independent suspension installed, they ask you how tall you want the trailer and can add any amount of height you ask for with the subframe (we did that on our Reflection 337 because of the taller truck we had at the time). Other than that, I would vote for lowering the truck a bit. I would be concerned about any solutions (pin box/ball adjustments) that would put the trailer nose high.

Rob
    I kind of think that's the right answer too, lower the truck a bit, it's plenty high as it sits! And the new 2020's are lower from the factory, so, seems to indicate that it's not entirely necessary to be 8' in the air!

The question is "how"? Lowering blocks seem to be an answer, but I can't find any for a 2019 F450. Also, I have airbags, any idea of blocks and bags are compatible?

Sulastic has a lowering kit available for their spring hangers, but appears they don't have a set for the 450, I put an e-mail into them today to find out, if I could get a better ride and lose an inch or two, that would be perfect.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The answer is relatively easy. The blocks that the bed sits on are interchangeable. Get the blocks from a 2020 and replace the ones in your truck. Bed lower, problem solved, little money spent.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    I kind of think that's the right answer too, lower the truck a bit, it's plenty high as it sits! And the new 2020's are lower from the factory, so, seems to indicate that it's not entirely necessary to be 8' in the air!

The question is "how"? Lowering blocks seem to be an answer, but I can't find any for a 2019 F450. Also, I have airbags, any idea of blocks and bags are compatible?

Sulastic has a lowering kit available for their spring hangers, but appears they don't have a set for the 450, I put an e-mail into them today to find out, if I could get a better ride and lose an inch or two, that would be perfect.
    Try what @JColeman suggested and see if that will work. I don't get into the specifics of truck modification beyond what applies to my truck, but I'm a member over at the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum and there are a LOT of knowledgeable people over there...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

There are sub-forums for each series of truck(s).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overtaxed I wonder if the goosebox is the problem. When I had the Rotoflex box on mine the trailer was level and I had about 6 inches of rail clearance. When I had it converted over to the new MorRyde box that GD uses I picked up a solid inch to inch and a half of rail clearance and the trailer is still level. I am using the B&W Companion hitch for the Ford puck system also. I can also get the trailer to almost 90 degrees and the pinbox clears the bed rails, not so with the Rotoflex. Just thinking out loud here.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    The answer is relatively easy. The blocks that the bed sits on are interchangeable. Get the blocks from a 2020 and replace the ones in your truck. Bed lower, problem solved, little money spent.
    Will that work with bags (Airlift 5000s) in place? I assume it would, just wondered if you knew for sure. I was doing a little Google-fu after posting this thread and it does seem like this is a good solution to the issue and would knock between 1-2 inches off the rear height. Then I could get a 1-2in lift ball for the Goosebox and all would be well in the world (I'm relatively level right now) if I want even more clearance.

To someone who asked about the Goosebox, yes, that could be part of the problem. But I'm not giving it up! So I need to make this work better, however, it does work now. It's just a "little tight" for my liking, if I get off kilter, it gets too close for comfort. The only places that has ever happened have been going into my parking spot at home (which has a hill leading up to it and I need to get way cranked over on the trailer to get in there) and pulling into campsites. I need to get the Goosebox a tiny bit higher to clear the rails of my truck and I need to get the truck a tiny bit lower to keep the RV level with the Goosebox higher. <sigh> Thing that kills me, the price of the lift ball is insane (300 dollars), but it does look very nice and gets good reviews so.. Whatever, it's only money, right? If I could pull 2 in out of the truck and add it on the ball, all would be well in the world.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like whenever the trailer company's do something to raise the trailers to make towing better the truck company's raise the beds of the trucks. How people always bash the trailer company's and everything is their fault. Why don't people start complaining to the truck company's about what they keep doing to the trucks. When the truck company's raise the beds the trailer company's can raise the trailers but what about all the trailers already on the road. Raising them on the majority of them would be too expensive. Now they have to travel unlevel Possibly making them dangerous.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast