Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

slider or no slider that is the question

Okay.. So I am waiting on a new Reflection 27RL and I plan on pulling it with a 2014 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 and the standard bed 6.5' I have equipped it with load leveler 5000, a cool air intake, an additional tranny cooler and an engine programmer. But the real question is in what hitch to buy... I have a guy trying to get me to buy the curt 16k slider but do I need a slider? Is Curt a good brand? I appreciate your thoughts and wisdom.

PC

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Curt makes a good hitch, in fact I don't know of any "bad" brands of hitches. I've had a slider on my last three rigs, but I rarely had to use it. However if you get into a situation where you need it, you'll kick yourself if you don't have it, and maybe damage your truck or trailer.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    B&W makes a line of good hitches--in the USA. I have had my Patriot on 2 trucks pulling 2 different trailers. Great hitch, no chucking. If I were looking for a new hitch now I would seriously consider the Anderson fifth wheel hitch. Also made in the USA, unlike any other hitch. I have seen that hitch priced for $350 online, plus the rails.

Robert
    Robert & Sheila, Amarillo, TX
    2013 F250 short bed crew cab, diesel, 4X4, Firestone air bags
    2014 Reflection 337, Michelin XPS Ribs, Anderson Ultimate Fifth wheel hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a Curt slider hitch! Good hitch in my hubbs opinion. Easy to hook up, and it's very obvious when the latch is engaged! A friend had a Pullright easy glide hitch which he'd have to really jam into to connect, and ended up dropping his 5th wheel on the bed of his truck. With the Curt there's a lever that drops into place where you insert s pin. If it's not lined up, you're not fully hitched. It locks into place easily, don't have to hit it with the pin to engage. We've used the slider a few times which make it easier if trying to cut into a tight spot. We use it on occasion backing into our driveway if someone is parked across the street.

The only thing hubs doesn't care for is the manual operation required to engage the slider. There is a cost savings tho, so it's a matter of personal preference.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PC

Re: Slider or Not

With a short bed truck, when you need a slider, you NEED it.

It is worth the investment up front, just for the peace of mind. IMO.

K
    Ken & Wilma
    Central Maryland
    2014 Reflection 337RLS #439
    2011 F250 CC 4x4

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My truck isn't a short bed it's the standard bed at 6.5 foot

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcontatore View Post
    My truck isn't a short bed it's the standard bed at 6.5 foot
    For all intense and purposes, any bed that's not a true long bed is considered a short bed when discussing 5th wheel hitches. My Silverado is also a 6.5 ft bed but I have a slider hitch. In 5 years I have never once used it other than 1 time when I wanted to see how it worked and, not paying attention, the PIN box hit my tailgate when it was in the full back position and I was turning sharply and backing into my driveway! Well, that sucked. All in all I would probably keep a slider hitch in it just in case.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be worried about going over GVW or the RAWR with a 29L and a 1500. A call to GD would answer the front cap clearance vs 6.5 bed concern.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just about all the larger manufacturers have different lines of hitches--basic and nicer. I do like the Curt Q series of hitches.

I bought a B&W Patriot 16K hitch due to the design and high quality. The jaws are comparable to Curt's Q series. What I like about the B&W's is that they're easily adjustable up and down, front and back. I also like how the head half of the hitch can be removed in 2 seconds, and removing the hitch in two halves is not too heavy. And I got a great deal on Amazon.com--along with Curt custom frame mounts and cross rails.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am getting an F350 with fifth wheel prep package, I checked etrailer.com and saw that for the 6 3/4' bed they specify the slider version (manual) of the Reese hitch. Maybe that is in case you don't have a fiver with extended pin and cut away front cap corners. Since my fiver has a Sidewinder pin box, I will just continue with the non-slider Reese 16K I had in my 5'7" F150 bed.
    2015 Ford F350 SRW CrewCab SB 6.7 PSD, Andersen Ultimate fifth wheel hitch
    2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde pin box, 300w of solar
    1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps, RVN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast