User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gooseneck Hidden-Ball Systems - Manufacturer Pros and Cons

So, we recently purchased a 2019 Ford F250 that did not come with the factory Gooseneck/Fifth Wheel Package. We are looking to purchase a Fifth Wheel camper and I am pretty much dead set on using an Andersen Ultimate system to tow. Two primary reasons; the truck is a daily driver and we use the bed, and second we have many friends who have used both conventional fifth wheel and Andersen and all swear Andersen is a superior tow.

Now, on to the real question. When looking for the aftermarket gooseneck addition kits I am finding many options. The first that comes up is the B&W Turnoverball kit. I also found the Curt OEM kit (with a removable ball and cap) and the DoubleLock EZR (but that one doesn't seem to have a matching rail kit for a 2019 Ford F250?). Then I came across the Draw Tite Hide-A-Goose kit which for all intents and purposes seems to be the same as the B&W just less money (buying B&W name?).

Does anyone have experience with any of these and their install? I plan to install myself since I am somewhat handy/capable and have a number of mechanic friends who said they'd help me (for a few beers and laughs of course). I'd really like some feedback on any of these four systems.

Thanks in advance for all of your feedback.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve had two B&W Turnover Balls, and never a problem. I use mine with my Andersen hitch and everything is sweet. Safety chain hookups are easily accessible. I use this stall mat under my hitch https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...n?cm_vc=-10005
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2B1Ask1 View Post
    So, we recently purchased a 2019 Ford F250 that did not come with the factory Gooseneck/Fifth Wheel Package. We are looking to purchase a Fifth Wheel camper and I am pretty much dead set on using an Andersen Ultimate system to tow. Two primary reasons; the truck is a daily driver and we use the bed, and second we have many friends who have used both conventional fifth wheel and Andersen and all swear Andersen is a superior tow.

Now, on to the real question. When looking for the aftermarket gooseneck addition kits I am finding many options. The first that comes up is the B&W Turnoverball kit. I also found the Curt OEM kit (with a removable ball and cap) and the DoubleLock EZR (but that one doesn't seem to have a matching rail kit for a 2019 Ford F250?). Then I came across the Draw Tite Hide-A-Goose kit which for all intents and purposes seems to be the same as the B&W just less money (buying B&W name?).

Does anyone have experience with any of these and their install? I plan to install myself since I am somewhat handy/capable and have a number of mechanic friends who said they'd help me (for a few beers and laughs of course). I'd really like some feedback on any of these four systems.

Thanks in advance for all of your feedback.
    My truck did not have the built in hitch setup. I bought the B&W turnover ball from E Trailer I think. Myself and son installed it ourselves in about 1/2 day. It's a heavy item to get up to the frame but is built in pieces. The quality is top notch, lined up perfectly, and I am very happy with it as well as the AUH. The most stomach turning time was perfectly drilling a 4" hole in the middle of the bed of my new truck.!! Measure twice, cut once. I measured about 10 times (following their perfect directions), looked at my son and said: Let's do this!
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When drilling the hole, Ford made small dimples that perfectly show where the center of the hole is. If you have the bedliner, cut it away where you think the hole should be to find the dimple. I have the OEM from factory, but have heard nothing but good things about B&W.

Good luck
    2021 Reflection 28BH
    Pullrite Superlite 2600
    2019 Ford F250 CC SB 6.7L
    2017 Jayco 27bhs (Sold)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used the B&W Turnover ball hitch in four trucks over the years towing both gooseneck and fifth wheel trailers. The hitch has worked well. The only potential problem comes from not removing the ball a couple times a year to see if it will still come out. Dirt and rust can make the removal of the ball a difficult task otherwise. The shank of the ball needs some grease on the corners and the locking pin can get rusty, making it hard to move. I live in the north country where there can be plenty of salt on the roads at times. If you live in a salt free environment, you won't have that big of a problem with rust.
    Paul and Sue
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, GooseBox hitch
    2019 Ram 3500 Cummins CC SB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    I’ve had two B&W Turnover Balls, and never a problem. I use mine with my Andersen hitch and everything is sweet. Safety chain hookups are easily accessible. I use this stall mat under my hitch https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...n?cm_vc=-10005
    John why do you us the stall mat, curious minds want to know ..
    2020 3500 SRW GMC AT4
    2020 Momentum 351M

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobbledot View Post
    John why do you us the stall mat, curious minds want to know ..
    The first time I used the hitch, it compressed the factory sprayed-in bed liner And left a small mark. The mark went away In a day or two, but I didn’t see any point pushing my luck
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    The first time I used the hitch, it compressed the factory sprayed-in bed liner And left a small mark. The mark went away In a day or two, but I didn’t see any point pushing my luck
    I thought it might of been to help prevent it from turning. The first time I pulled with mine on the factory sprayed in liner it twisted about 3/4" and I thought about putting something like that under mine to help alleviate that but when I emailed the company they told me to torque my bolts down a little more (my instructions said to torque 40-50 lbs) and if that didn't help they would send me an anti-slip kit which is what I thought that mat may do. Now I torque top bolt to 65lbs and it works like a charm.
    2020 3500 SRW GMC AT4
    2020 Momentum 351M

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andersen actually recommends a mat. http://help.andersenhitches.com/faq/...-liner-systems

I had a B&W turn-over ball in my 2015 2500HD with the AUH. Worked great. I carried over the AUH to the F350 for a while (with the ford puck ball) and used a mat on top of the bed-liner... no issues. The B&W stuff is built like a tank - I have their fixed 25K# hitch in my F450 now. I kept my Ford ball kit from the F350, otherwise I would have bought the B&W ball kit (for Ford Pucks) to have on hand if needed.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the B&W hitch and absolutely love it. It is actually a slider.
    My truck with the turnover ball hitch. You can see the info in my signature.
    You will not be disappointed, just get it!
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast