Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alternative grey water tank sensor

Hello,

Anyone tried installing sensor and gauge shown in link to get more accurate reading on fill level in grey water tank?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WATER-TANK-...edirect=mobile

Next question would be if any knows the height on tank used in 230RL as I would need to order length of sender unit being 1" shorter.

Thanks

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by troja99 View Post
    Hello,

Anyone tried installing sensor and gauge shown in link to get more accurate reading on fill level in grey water tank?

Next question would be if any knows the height on tank used in 230RL as I would need to order length of sender unit being 1" shorter.

Thanks
    I've done tons of them but not in RV water tank. What you show looks to be a resistance device, an inexpensive but reliable instrument. A couple concerns are you would need to remove the tank to install it. There needs to be a hole in the top of the tank to insert it with clearance above for any protrusion or wire connection. You also need to know the correct depth of the tank where it is to be installed to order the correct length. I never looked but I think the tanks are rectangular with straight sides which this type device is good for as the response would be linear. If the tank has curved ( vertically like these brackets ) sides it would need a different taper to read correctly. I would be hesitant to use one in a black tank too. Toilet paper/solids in or around the ID of the donut would cause problems. two more thoughts are that installing it in such a remote spot makes any maintenance or repair difficult. Also the link you give seem to be a device for marine fuel level gauges. You would need to verify the float is compatible with water which has a specific gravity of 1, otherwise it will not report correctly. Gas or diesel are much less.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 07-04-2020 at 02:45 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by troja99 View Post

No, haven't done it or seen anyone else asking about it. Maybe that should give you pause.

My *guess* would be that the sensing device would be almost as prone to interference from residual gunk in the tanks (and on the sensing probe) as are the OEM devices.

This company makes sensors that are applied to the outside of the tanks. There has been some good buzz about them but AFAIK not many people in this forum have actually installed them.

https://www.garnetinstruments.com/rv...61645507812500

Those devices are expensive and not generally easy to install as after-market upgrades. I'd guess that they're also almost as prone to the gunk problem; seems to me that anything that sticks to the side of the tank could throw them off.

A lot of us just concentrate on thoroughly cleaning the tanks as much as possible; look up "GEO Method" for information about one easy approach to doing that. Lots of water, Dawn dish soap and water softener like Calgon or Borax in the tanks helps ensure that less of the solids and oils stay in the tank.

RV stores are full of commercial products promising to clean sensors; some of them might help. At least one person here adds lemon Pinesol to his tanks and thinks it helps.

And some people just give up on the sensors, ignore them completely. It's easy to know when tanks are approaching full and it's time to dump.

Good luck.
    Last edited by boyscout; 07-04-2020 at 02:26 PM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies and my considerations for the solution was considering:

a, Top of tank is accessible from the basement so no need to drop the tanks, I would need to double check before ordering but I recall I saw the vent pipes when I was checking how the plumbing is done
    b. I would like some move accurate over reading today which seams to read full tank when it is not really close
    c. @Wicked ace: I Agree I wouldn't consider this for black tank for the reasons you mention. Black tank is not as critical as we can go 6 days with-out emptying and that works just fine for us, I don't even bother to check the reading

I guess I need to contact GD and have them tell me the hight of the grey water tank. I only plan on installing this in the one tank underneath bathroom as I do couple the 2 grey tanks together while camping.