User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Steve and Lynne

Question Furnace not working!

We are currently staying with friends just east of Dallas, TX. On Friday the furnace blower in our Reflection 337RLS started making a squealing noise on startup. Last night we got in our door, had lost outside power. When we got reconnected, I turned the thermostat back on, the blower motor tried to start a few times, was laboring heavily and dimmed the lights each time, then it gave up! I think it is an Atwood, our other appliances are, so we are without a furnace. I have gotten help from Dean Brovont and Tim Reams on other minor situations, but I am afraid this one will need professional help! Thanks all- possibly Janice when she can on Monday. This is our first big issue since we began our adventure in early May 2014. We love our Grand Design, the rally in Elkhart was great, don't know whether fellow owners or Grand Design people were the high point- they both were! Thank you!

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is an Atwood unit in the Reflection line. If you ever want to know who makes the products in your RV, you can go to the GD website, click on the "Service" tab, click on "Service Videos & Resources", and then click on "Component Manufacturer's Contact List (Reflection)".

Here's a link to the list of manufacturer's for your Reflection:
    http://www.granddesignrv.com/pdf/ser...Reflection.pdf

I'm sure the customer service folks will get you back up and running again. Although I don't have access to my 337 right now, I don't believe it's real hard to get to the blower motor.

Steve and Lynne
    We really appreciate your good advice and recommendations. All of our visible appliances are Atwood, so that was our assumption. I have been very impressed with your help to lots of other folks. We are less than 10 miles from McClain's RV in Rockwall, TX, so we hope they can quickly and competently fix this!

Steve and Lynne
    Update hopefully good news. McClain RV in Rockwall, TX has ordered the fan motor and think they will see it tomorrow (Thursday). They requested the model number from the Atwood furnace, also serial number. I removed all items from pass-through storage and partition walls. I had to use my phone to get around to the far side and snap a photo of the stickers. They also are going to look at the bedroom slide of our Reflection 337, have had ongoing issues with unevenness when we retract the slide or not going in all the way. Anyone else have this? I hope they can solve!

Steve and Lynne
    Update- not good! We dropped off our 337 at McClain mid-morning Thursday 2/5. Dena our service advisor called me late in the afternoon, problem is not the fan motor, it is the control board. They had ordered the control board and would see it Friday. I went to the shop late Thursday where the tech had the furnace out on the bench and showed me the board and other components. Late Friday afternoon we stopped in, unit was finished Dena and Ronnie the tech both said they felt good heat from proper furnace operation. They are ordering gear parts for Schwintek bedroom slide, here in 7-10 days, we will travel some in TX and return when parts arrive. Got home, tested furnace, worked OK. About 10 PM returned to a COLD fifth wheel, had left stat at 64 degrees. Cycled stat off and on, blower runs for 20 seconds (cold air), no audible ignition of gas, furnace shuts down, Tried a couple times during the night, no better! Swapped gas bottles on and off, stove has good flame. Think we are returning to McClain Monday morning. Any advice or insight? Disappointed but not angry, that accomplishes nothing! We know we are at a good service center, they will get it solved.
    Last edited by Steve and Lynne; 02-15-2015 at 07:33 AM. Reason: spelling error

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve and Lynne View Post
    Update- not good! We dropped off our 337 at McClain mid-morning Thursday 2/5. Dena our service advisor called me late in the afternoon, problem is not the fan motor, it is the control board. They had ordered the control board and would see it Friday. I went to the shop late Thursday where the tech had the furnace out on the bench and showed me the board and other components. Late Friday afternoon we stopped in, unit was finished Dena and Ronnie the tech both said they feelt good heat from proper furnace operation. They are ordering gear parts for Schwintek bedroom slide, here in 7-10 days, we will travel some in TX and return when parts arrive. Got home, tested furnace, worked OK. About 10 PM returned to a COLD fifth wheel, had left stat at 64 degrees. Cycled stat off and on, blower runs for 20 seconds (cold air), no audible ignition of gas, furnace shuts down, Tried a couple times during the night, no better! Swapped gas bottles on and off, stove has good flame. Think we are returning to McClain Monday morning. Any advice or insight? Disappointed but not angry, that accomplishes nothing! We know we are at a good service center, they will get it solved.
    Hi @Steve and Lynne,

My understanding is that JD from our Customer Support is working with you and your dealer -- please don't hesitate to contact us if we can be of further assistance.

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.

Steve and Lynne
    Great news of JD's involvement. We met him at the service center when we were at the rally, he is very engaged and committed. From this forum I know he has helped others a lot! We have had no direct contact with him, but it may not be necessary at this point. Hopefully our furnace will be fixed today- they did not get the part yesterday.

Steve and Lynne
    Very good news- we were called by McClain's service department Wednesday afternoon- part had arrived, installed in furnace and was bench tested. Then it was reinstalled. We requested our Reflection 337 be parked outside, propane filled, and furnace run at 70 degrees overnight. They agreed this was a good idea. I called them Thursday morning, Keith the service manager went out and checked, furnace was working fine. We are very appreciative of their conscientious service and support from Grand Design. We hope they get the Schwintek slide parts very soon so our "home" is at 100 percent again!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mclain's is a good dealership and they have very knowledgeable techs. They'll take care of you. We used the center in Fort Worth and have nothing but good things to say about them and the service we received. Steve, what happened to your bedroom slide?
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Steve and Lynne
    Glad you asked! McClain diagnosed the slide problem as stripped gears on the front drive unit. As we brought the unit in for the second time on the furnace (circuit board), the tech (Ronnie) took pictures of the gears on the slide to verify the correct serial number for replacement parts. They estimate four to six hours to complete the repair, and believe the parts will be in about 7-10 days from time of order (Monday 2/9), so we probably hang out in the Dallas area until then. I do agree they are a quality dealership on the service side. The waiting room area displays the certificate of agreement between Grand Design and their dealerships for expediting service for traveling owners- they definitely did that for us on our furnace!
    Last edited by Steve and Lynne; 03-01-2015 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Correcting name of tech