User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Norcold 1210T blowing 5amp Fuse

This is our first Grand Designs Reflection, new 2020 320mks, and it has been furnished with a Norcold 1210T 4-door refrigerator. We have used the RV once and the unit seemed to function fine. Just before taking it out for the 4th, we powered on the unit the night before using shore power. The following morning we find the refrigerator without power. Mains and breakers were fine.

There happens to be another 5amp fuse on the control board at the rear access panel. If this fuse is replaced, the unit powers up and allows you turn the refrigerator on but won’t hold as the fuse will blow again.

The dealership (questionable) suggests it’s a fan issue. I believe it to be some other issue, but alas I’m at the mercy of the “professionals” however there are two 12vDC 40amp fans mounted at the bottom oF the freezer fins in the back of the unit (top access panel) that are unreachable without pulling the refrigerator. Both fans spin freely by hand.

Has any member experienced this issue or perhaps has some insight as to this problem.

Thanks for your feed back.

Stan &Debbie Longwell
    Durango, CO
    Last edited by [email protected]; 07-04-2020 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Additional info

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am having the same problem with the same model (1210T) except mine is a 4-door unit. I created a post/thread earlier today.
    The 5-amp fuse that blows is the automotive type, which is the DC fuse. I did find some other references to this being caused by fan problems. If the fan locks up, it will cause excessive current which blows the fuse.
    I disconnected the red wire going to the fans, and the unit has been operational for about 15 hours. However, I'm not comfortable running the refrigerator in 100-degree heat without the fans. I'm looking at placing a box fan outside the access panel until I get some definitive service information. July 4 is a bad time to need service!

Bob
    Lubbock, Texas

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bob,

Counting the freezer and frig, 4 doors also. My experience with these type of fans (IT field w/cabinet and chassis fans) I’ve found they either fail and quit spinning or literally lock up. Interesting issue to have after a single use on a brand new unit. Also found that the fan label indicates 40amp but have not tried any fuse greater than the factory 5amp in it. Same situation where I’m reluctant to try a 7.5amp on a DC system. When I get more info from dealership, I’ll post the update. I’ve been told it will be 3 to 5 business days to get new fans.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally got the parts in at the dealership last week, scheduling was today. 2 new fans, 1 new controller board (the one with the 5amp blade fuse on it). It’s been running full throttle, setting #9 , for 15 hours now without popping the fuse. Prior to this, the fuse would hold about 1 hour. There is a significant fan noise now which is acceptable if it works. Summary: unless I post another reply to this thread, will for now consider it resolved.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 07-16-2020 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Updated inf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same issue on my 2020 Reflection 312 BHTS

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Finally got the parts in at the dealership last week, scheduling was today. 2 new fans, 1 new controller board (the one with the 5amp blade fuse on it). It’s been running full throttle, setting #9 , for 15 hours now without popping the fuse. Prior to this, the fuse would hold about 1 hour. There is a significant fan noise now which is acceptable if it works. Summary: unless I post another reply to this thread, will for now consider it resolved.
    I just encountered this same issue on my 2020 Reflection 312 BHTS with the Norcold 1210T. Lasts about 30 minutes before blowing the fuse. We have had some crazy high temperatures this past few months, so that fridge has probably been working its tail off. Thankfully we have a fridge in the outdoor kitchen for most things while we wait for a repair. GD and the repair shop said parts are hard to get right now. Could be a long wait and we're full-timers. A note on the latter, it has lasted over 30-days of continues and frequent daily use. Just disappointed that a brand new $3000 plus fridge has components already failing, especially given our daily need for it.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we had the same issue on our 311 the 5 amp fuse would pop when the fans kicked in. I made the dealer send out a mobile tech to fix as I only had my unit for less then 3 days. The mobile tech went and by passed the 5 amp fuse and hard wired in the 15 amp fridge fuse. so far it has been working like a charm
    Dean And Monica
    Brighton, Colorado
    2021 Grand Deign 311 BHS
    TV: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (aka Grumpy Smurf)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same issue on my 2020 Reflection 312 BHTS

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_and_Monica View Post
    we had the same issue on our 311 the 5 amp fuse would pop when the fans kicked in. I made the dealer send out a mobile tech to fix as I only had my unit for less then 3 days. The mobile tech went and by passed the 5 amp fuse and hard wired in the 15 amp fridge fuse. so far it has been working like a charm
    Well I found out some good news and somewhat bad news on mine. The good news is that Norcold is standing behind their refrigerator. As it appears, these units have some cooling fan issues. They are going to replace the entire fridge with a brand new one and use my old one to try and figure out why this is a recurring issue. The bad news is that we are living full-time in ours and there will be further inconvenience. However, it could be worse. I'm glad they are replacing it with a revised new unit and we can use our smaller fridge in the outdoor kitchen which I will bring inside temporarily.

-Matt

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another me too. Hope they figure it out. The two service techs that have come out have both said that Norcold is a pain to deal with - lots of push back on any repair item.

So far we’ve replaced the electronic card, the eyebrow (their term) with the controls, and the thermister. I think the fan behind the fridge is also not working. It’s finally cooling but not as good as it should be.

The frig is the biggest disappointment with the rig (actually the only disappointment).
    2020 Solitude 310GK
    2017 F350 Diesel CC SRW