Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Victron BMV-712 Display Mounting in a Solitude 310GK

Hi all -

So I have my BMV here and I'm scratching my head as to where to mount the display. Ideally I thought somewhere in the living area, but I have no idea how or where to route the phone wire. Plus, I'm a little leery about drilling holes not knowing what might be on the back side. Since this is Blue Tooth and accessible via my phone, any reason I can't just mount the display in the front compartment next to the shunt, etc.? Or is there some concern about getting the Blue Tooth signal out of that front compartment?

Anyone know what's in that front wall between the basement and front compartment? Feels like a sheet of plywood but I'm not certain.

Any pictures to share or other inspiration would be most helpful.

I read some other threads on programming, settings, etc. I haven't got there yet. . .

Thanks, -Jeff
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can really mount it anywhere. I've had no need to look at mine on a regular basis since I use the app on my phone to see any information I might need.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    Hi all -

So I have my BMV here and I'm scratching my head as to where to mount the display. Ideally I thought somewhere in the living area, but I have no idea how or where to route the phone wire. Plus, I'm a little leery about drilling holes not knowing what might be on the back side. Since this is Blue Tooth and accessible via my phone, any reason I can't just mount the display in the front compartment next to the shunt, etc.? Or is there some concern about getting the Blue Tooth signal out of that front compartment?

Anyone know what's in that front wall between the basement and front compartment? Feels like a sheet of plywood but I'm not certain.

Any pictures to share or other inspiration would be most helpful.

I read some other threads on programming, settings, etc. I haven't got there yet. . .

Thanks, -Jeff
    I have a 2020 Reflection 337 and just left the BMV 712 display in the front hatch and the blue tooth works great from inside or out side a little away from the trailer. Set it up and give it a try without mounting the digital display and see how it works. Several times I have picked up the neighbors Victron bluetooth in rv parks. Make sure you change your password. If not someone else with a Victron could lock you out of your system.
    Last edited by Always Learning; 07-04-2020 at 11:13 AM.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mounted my display on the rear basement wall above the vacuum cleaner. I use the Bluetooth app so I rarely look at the physical display.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2618.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	27787
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone! I figured I wouldn't need to look at it very often. I was just wondering if there were any problems mounting in the front compartment that I wasn't aware of. Seems not. I'll give that a try. Thanks again!
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    Thanks everyone! I figured I wouldn't need to look at it very often. I was just wondering if there were any problems mounting in the front compartment that I wasn't aware of. Seems not. I'll give that a try. Thanks again!
    I wanted mine in the controls cabinet (slide switches, etc.) at the door to the coach. At least a half-hour of fiddling with a snake trying to get something run up to that cabinet from the basement was fruitless. The existing wiring very thoroughly stuffs the entry holes to that behind-the-wall space through which wires run up to the cabinet, and having seen bad GD wiring connections I didn't want to mess with that wiring. Even bypassing those entry holes I was unable to get a snake up to the cabinet.

So I installed my 712 in the cabinet just above the breaker / fuse panel. I removed the drawer above the fuse panel door. Had the correct hole saw - is it 2"? I forget. Drilled through the cabinet just above the breaker panel. The 712 was a tight fit but it did fit. Running the wire to the 712 from the battery compartment was dead-easy - acres of space behind the fuse panel. Put the drawer back in and voila! looks like it belongs there.

It is admittedly not easy to read there unless one bends down to look at it, but as others have said we use the app anyway.

However I'm happy to have it inside the trailer for another reason: alarms.

If we have a complete battery failure - as we do every time I turn off our truly-kill-everything battery kill switch - then the 712 comes to life beeping and warning of that inside the trailer. There are other conditions in which the device alarms. I don't allow many notifications on my phone - maybe the app notifies of alarms and is capable of turning them off, but my phone is silent. So I'm happy to hear the alarms in the trailer and easily silence them by flipping open the cabinet door and touching the 712.

Hope this is useful to someone else if not to you.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again! I got my monitor installed (in the basement) and everything seems to be working fine except I have a few questions.

1. I thought I changed the PIN during the initial set up but now every time I first open the the app, there's a message about the default pin code being 000000. Is this telling me I didn't change the PIN as I thought?

Name:	IMG_6769.PNG 
Views:	12 
Size:	228.5 KB 
ID:	28331

2. I contacted the battery manufacturer (Interstate) for the data sheets and all I got was basically the capacity (88Ah in my case - I have 2 in parallel). What about discharge floor, tail current, charged detection time, Peukert exponent, etc. Where do I find that info?

Name:	IMG_6771.PNG 
Views:	18 
Size:	209.1 KB 
ID:	28332

Thanks!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mounted mine in the front storage compartment with the batteries and everything else. I used a parts bin for the mount.

I don't know the setting for your batteries. I do know the factory converter is junk. HERE is a chart to find your equal replacement. Your batteries will be happier and charge quicker with a 4 stage converter. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I mounted my display on the rear basement wall above the vacuum cleaner. I use the Bluetooth app so I rarely look at the physical display.

Name:	IMG_2618.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	27787
    I mounted my Victron monitor display in the same location, except higher up near the top of the wall. As others have said, with how handy the Victron Smartphone App is, it really does not matter where you mount the hard wired display, so choose the easiest location.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi - Any input on the other variables in the settings? Discharge floor, tail current, charged detection time, Peukert exponent, etc. Where do I find that info?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast