User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Solar panel install on 2020 2400BHS - part 2 of 2

continued from part one...

Now it's time to install the actual panels and the entry gland to the roof.

I used 3M VHB tape on the glands and the solar panel feet. Then covered that with Eternabond, and used Dicor to seal the edges of the Eternabond.

The finished product:

After a few days I got a little nervous of having those big panels only held on by tape to the TPO roof, as I wasn't sure how well bonded the TPO is to the wood underneath, so I went back and installed the supplied screws into the solar panel Z mounts, and covered everything in Dicor. I now have 16 more potential water entry points to my roof, but I'm confident in my waterproofing skills, and I do a twice-per-year job of inspecting the existing Dicor sealant.

I originally planned on running the panels in parallel, but I wasn't happy with the placement of the Y connectors, so I switched to running in series. I used a few pieces of Eternabond to tape down the cables, keeping the ends free for service access.

If we ever really get into more boondocking, I have room for at least two more 170W panels, but I would need to upgrade my charge controller and add at least one more battery first.

Thanks for reading, and remember to keep your stick on the ice!
    2017 F150 Lariat 3.5 EB
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

retired: 2016 Starcraft 19BHS & 2004 Fleetwood Mesa

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pics. I have plans for the same with my 2450 RL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to add roof solar but since our favorite dry sites are shaded I'm running portable panels. Two 100W standard panels in series I made a ground mount for, 100' of 12-2 cable, and a MPPT controller in the pass through. A test run got me 140W.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    I'd love to add roof solar but since our favorite dry sites are shaded I'm running portable panels. Two 100W standard panels in series I made a ground mount for, 100' of 12-2 cable, and a MPPT controller in the pass through. A test run got me 140W.
    I think I am going to do something similar to your setup. I'd love to see any pictures of your setup. Thanks in advance!
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    I have 2x 40W portable panels that I have wired up to an old PWM charge controller in my storage bay as well. I haven't used them on this trailer yet, but the intention is the same, to use them when the roof is shaded over, and place the panels in the sunshine.
    2017 F150 Lariat 3.5 EB
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

retired: 2016 Starcraft 19BHS & 2004 Fleetwood Mesa