User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Gale-n8gs

Looking to buy a 337rls

I've been looking for a new 5th wheel for a several months now and am impressed with the 337rls. My big concern is if I have enough truck to pull it. Well, really its a case of rear tire loading. I have a '09 GMC Duramax 4x4 ext cab long box with a 50 gal aux fuel tank in the bed. This puts my rear axle weight at 3410# Tire rating is 6400# leaving me with 2990# available for pin weight,plus a Honda 2000 and my empty 50 gal aux fresh water tank. I know its gonna be close.
    So to sum this up I have been looking for folks that have a 337rls and have taken it across a scale to get their actual loaded traveling pin weight.

More ramblings
    The aux water tank is for dry camping. Three years ago I had an opportunity to camp with a large group of ham radio ops in the desert south of Quartzsite, AZ. I fell in love with the desert environment. My wife could only get one week off work so she flew out and back while I spent 42 days in the desert. That trip was with an '06 Cougar 290 (32'longl).
    I have the Cougar set up with 4 Trogan batteries for 600 Ah of capacity. I converted all the lighting to LED and I installed a 2000 watt inverter. I never had to use the generator on that trip because I have 470 watts of solar panels.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Gale-n8gs! There are quite a few 337 owners here that I am sure will be by shortly to answer your questions. Good luck with your search for a 5er.

Steve

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome! I'm averaging about 2600 on my 2014 337 depending on what I have loaded. I'm running 200 watts of solar and two six volt AGM batterie. I don't have an inverter, but I only run the generator for the TV or microwave when we're dry camping.

Gale-n8gs
    Jim
    Its hard to run a microwave with less than 600 Ah so I understand your using a genny. That one of the comparmises I might have to make--reduce tha number of batteries to save 170# and carry the genny on the back of the trailer. The rear receiver can carry the weight of the genny and our bikes.
    How long is your typical trip? That tends to influence the weight of all the stuff that I take on a trip.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When we're boondocking were usually out for 7-10 days. During that time, we'll run the genset for 30 minutes to an hour.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bumping this to see if anyone has any more responses on actual loaded pin weights on the 337RLS (only one response to the original question above). I would be particularly interested in how you were loaded when you weighed (what was in the basement, do you have W/D, how much stuff in the front wardrobe and bedroom, etc.).

Thanks in advance!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Gale-n8gs
    Yes so far only one response to my original question. However I spent a couple hours doing weight calculations and came up with a pin weight of 2810. That was before I got the above response of 2820. Makes me comfortable with that number. My weight included 4 83# batteries in the forward compartment. My calcs also included a small Honda genny and 2 solar panels in a carrier on the backend. Those items help to reduce the pin weight by about 100# while adding to the axle weight.
    All those years working with Civil Engineers taught me a few things that have turned out to be useful in retirement.
    But it would still be nice to see a few more actual weights.
    Gale

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gale-n8gs View Post
    Yes so far only one response to my original question. However I spent a couple hours doing weight calculations and came up with a pin weight of 2810. That was before I got the above response of 2820. Makes me comfortable with that number. My weight included 4 83# batteries in the forward compartment. My calcs also included a small Honda genny and 2 solar panels in a carrier on the backend. Those items help to reduce the pin weight by about 100# while adding to the axle weight.
    All those years working with Civil Engineers taught me a few things that have turned out to be useful in retirement.
    But it would still be nice to see a few more actual weights.
    Gale
    Thanks, Gale. I had come up with 2,767 - but without the extra batteries and other stuff you included. However, like you, I would really like to see some more responses with actual loaded pin weights.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015