User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replaced RV mattress with a Sleep Number mattress; where can I put the pump unit?

We just bought a 22MLE and the first thing we upgraded was the RV mattress with a Sleep Number queen mattress. The air tubes are pretty short and don't give me a lot of options for where to place the electric pump.

I was thinking of getting some air extension hoses from airbedrepair.com and placing the pump in the large storage place under the foot of the bed. But I would have to drill holes in the plywood base for the hoses to drop down into and another for the plug to come out the side of the storage bay so we could plug it in. I don't really want to drill holes in my brand new camper.

Has anyone replaced the RV mattress with a sleep number mattress and found a good place to keep the air pump?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drill 'em!

I did and glad I did. Everything tucked nicely out of the way.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moodan View Post

Has anyone replaced the RV mattress with a sleep number mattress and found a good place to keep the air pump?
    I've had sleep number beds since they hit the market. Once you are comfortable, you don't change pressure very often. At home we might fiddle with it twice a year, usually to firm the mattresses up a little. In the camper, its maybe four times a year. Till you hit the mountains.

Our mattress is reversed so the connections are at the base instead of the head. We fill the chambers up, disconnect, put the plugs/caps on and put the pump, hoses and controls in a box in the underbed foot locker.

Mountains
    last year we left for a trip to Washington State. I like a very firm mattress, Sheryl likes her's kind of soft. We were in Montana and Sheryl said her mattress was harder than she liked, so we bled it a little. I checked mine and said "Mine is great." The next day we crossed the Rockies. When we parked for the night I looked at the bed and thought "How did a pillow get under the sheets?"

So the mattresses have something like a divider every 12 inches are so. They aren't there to separate the mattress into multiple chambers, they are there to keep it flat. Because of the pressure increase (or more accurately the decrease in outside pressure) with increased elevation, I blew the seam on the first divider. It worked out OK, because I ended up with a permanent pillow. If it had been in the middle though . . . We were 10 days into a two month trip.

The really distressing thing is I'm I retired engineer. I often dealt with pressurized components. We always compensated for temperature and elevation affects on pressure.
    Steve & Sheryl
    Bucca and Nyx RIP-Tag and Gordon
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    Ford F250

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the idea to turn it around. I hadn't thought about that.

And thank you for the tip about altitude and air pressure affecting the bed.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2800bh that has a closet and a bedside drawer on both sides of the bed. When I installed sleep number mattress, I removed the passenger side drawer and installed my pump behind it. I drilled 2 holes to run the tubing to the mattress and another hole into the pass through storage area where there is a power outlet. It is a clean install with everything being hidden.
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500