User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine 2400BH: Can't Find Refrigerator Info, May Need Larger. Any Info or Ideas?

Hello all, we are new to RV purchasing. We are looking at the GD Imagine 2400BH for several reasons, though we do not like the cabinet and hardware design (why not offer two options in case your customers don't like the modern look?!). Chiefly, we are looking under 30 ft. length, 6000 lbs. or under dry, bunks, option for theatre seating for more than 2 people, a separate master, good construction and multi-season viability.

Our last RV rental trip was very successful, with a large exception: Packing several days' worth of food in a tiny 6 cubit foot refrigerator and freezer unit was painful. Even with the small size it took several hours for the refrigerator to cool to a safe temperature, so we kept our refrigerated food in the cooler overnight. We also wanted ice and the ice trays take up a significant amount of the available freezer space so we found ourselves reordering meals in the first couple days so we could also get more ice made eventually.

The only published info I can seem to find (with dealerships and manufacturer closed over the holiday weekend) says this model has a "midsized" refrigerator. One person on a blog mentioned a 6 cubic foot unit. Can this be true? Surely GD offers larger appliances in their units, especially those designed for a family? Can anyone confirm the refrigerator/freezer size?

If the appliance is that small, we are also interested to learn if anyone has been able to order, work with a dealer, or themselves modify/replace to get an apartment residential size in this model? We are aiming for a minimum of 8 cubic feet, desire 10-12. If you have been able to arrange/work out a larger unit, how were you able to accomplish?

If there aren't options, we may have to go with another brand, which is not our preference, but with plans to be gone for longer trips, a love for cooking and grilling, and a couple of boon docking trips ahead we really need more refrigerator/freezer space.

Thanks in advance for the information and/or ideas and advice.

Sincerely,
    New Here & Excited to Start Our Adventure
    Last edited by BCPatt1; 07-05-2020 at 03:18 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe I have a 7 ft Norcold refrigerator. We full time half the year (If that makes sense). We can pack more than a weeks worth of food in the refrigerator/freezer combo, but also use a second freezer when we are parked for four months at a time. It’s just two of us.

Chances are you could put a slightly larger one in, but you may have to modify the surrounding cabinet structure.

As far as it getting cold, you must turn it on electric or gas about 24 hours before packing, and it’s best to put cold items into the freezer/refrigerator. When driving most (not all) will leave the unit on in the gas (propane) mode to keep it running and cold.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    I believe I have a 7 ft Norcold refrigerator. We full time half the year (If that makes sense). We can pack more than a weeks worth of food in the refrigerator/freezer combo, but also use a second freezer when we are parked for four months at a time. It’s just two of us.

Chances are you could put a slightly larger one in, but you may have to modify the surrounding cabinet structure.

As far as it getting cold, you must turn it on electric or gas about 24 hours before packing, and it’s best to put cold items into the freezer/refrigerator. When driving most (not all) will leave the unit on in the gas (propane) mode to keep it running and cold.

7 is better than 6 but still leaves us nervous. Two very hungry boys/men in this family.

Agree that the surrounding cabinet would need modification. We are not unused to projects but since it seems to connect to the slide out and ceiling, it seems a bit riskier of a task for someone not as familiar with the mechanics of RV appliances or RV construction.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an 8 cu.ft. in that unit. At least all I have seen. You also have the form cube in the outside kitchen. A portable ice maker also a problem solver.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fridge is 6 cu ft (at least on the 2020 model) and since it is in the slideout I do think it would be challenging to replace with something substantially larger. Something wider would be a challenge as you’d have to do some major re-work on the dinette and the window. Deeper might be an option as when the slideout is closed, there’s about a foot of clearance between the fridge and the counter. There is also an outdoor 1.6 cu ft fridge (that holds a surprising amount of beer) but it’s AC powered so without an inverter it won’t run when underway or when boondocking.

2400BH has the option for theater seating but it’s only for 2. I’m not sure you’ll find bunks and theater seating for 2+ under 30’. For our use case (family of 3 with occasional guests) it’s a fantastic TT; I’m very impressed with the quality so far.
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2021 Ram 2500 Laramie - 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel

BattleBorn LiFePO4 - Renogy/Victron Solar - SumoSprings - SeeLevel II

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol! Looks like we've not been helpful to the OP... At least it is Monday and a call to GD or dealer will confirm. I think I'd give up the per drawer to have the taller fridge back!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look into putting an Everchill 12 volt compressor fridge in it. They are lighter than the rv versions, and are 10 cubic ft.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Refriger...24-000119.html
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2021 Imagine 2400

Storage volume - total volume (ANSI/AHAM HRF-1-2007) 7.31 cu.ft
    Fridge storage volume (ANSI/AHAM HRF-1-2007) 5.60 cu.ft
    Freezer storage volume (ANSI/AHAM HRF-1-2007) 1.70 cu.ft
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2400
    2019 F150 XLT 4x4, 3.5 EcoBoost

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Duke View Post
    My 2021 Imagine 2400

Storage volume - total volume (ANSI/AHAM HRF-1-2007) 7.31 cu.ft
    Fridge storage volume (ANSI/AHAM HRF-1-2007) 5.60 cu.ft
    Freezer storage volume (ANSI/AHAM HRF-1-2007) 1.70 cu.ft
    From the one call we were able to make today, this is the most accurate. We've heard "about 7 cu ft". This is very surprising to us as the inclusion of bunks makes it more a family rig. Rockwood has a similar model with larger appliance options. We'd rather stay with GD but must have a larger fridge. I'm trying to imagine a week or two of making 3 meals per day without needing to run to the store and can't - based on our 4-5 day experiences so far. Sure we could bring a cooler for the first day or two but why store a cooler on the valuable floor space if we have an appliance in the rig?

Thanks to all who contributed.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Lol! Looks like we've not been helpful to the OP... At least it is Monday and a call to GD or dealer will confirm. I think I'd give up the per drawer to have the taller fridge back!
    I think that's a much better idea!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast