Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having second thoughts about a trailer

With the current situation we have been doing a lot of thinking about a trailer vs a small motorhome. We thought maybe a small motorhome (Sprinter C Class) would be very handy in these times and in the near future since it could be used for short trips where you don't want to drag a TT around and be easier for cross country travel as well especially with the crowds and potential shortages of camp spots, if a camp spot could not be found it would be an easy manner to just park somewhere and fire up the on board genny. It would also be handy for day trips to have kitchen and toilet with you. Of course the drawbacks are less space inside and having to break camp every time you want to go somewhere, or tow a small car.
    We had pretty much talked ourselves into the Sprinter and went to look at a used one yesterday but were somewhat disappointed at what you get for the money, these rigs fetch some pretty high prices even used. The one we looked at said "like new" but it definitely was not, and priced over $80K, 6 years old and rough. Same model new is $165K and a 14 month wait.
    So back home to think some more, maybe back to plan A, TT and truck. Spoke with my sister in WA and she told me they are getting a bit tired of their MH, especially when stuck inside in poor weather. They are now thinking about a truck and trailer again.
    Where we are at: 1. Decided not to do anything rash at the moment since the future of the epidemic and the future of the economy is unknown at this time, and I do not feel it is the best time to try and buy when everyone else is trying to buy. Unfortunately may wait till fall or even next year to see if things normalize a bit.
    2. I have a sneaking suspicion that the sudden RV craze will slow significantly in the fall, or when things improve with this pandemic and we will have more to choose from at better prices.

I know a lot of you experienced RVers have tried both TT and MH and we welcome your comments. Incidentally we have very limited choices on size due to wanting to keep the rig at home in the garage which is 30 feet deep with an 11 foot rollup door. So we know exactly which TT it will be and exactly which MH it will be if we go that direction.
    Last edited by bigb56; 07-05-2020 at 04:30 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would wait until next year if you can. Everybody and their brother is buying stuff now without really thinking it through. I think there will be great buys next year after people use it for 2 weeks then pay to store for 12 months. Many new buyers don’t even know or research this expensive purchase, they listen to the sales person who probably does not even have one. Or buy because they like the color of the interior.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No matter what RV you get.. there is always a compromise..... After retiring we had a small Class C..... great for exploring the western states... we moved a lot spending only a few days at each stop.... Rain days were really tough... no storage... packing up most days to sight see and then back to same camp got old.... Last year we went back to a 5th wheel, we had found our favorite spots and don't move as much.. kept it small, for National Forest campgrounds... Might be right about good deals next year, but you are not getting any younger.... good luck
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have doubts and are undecided which way works for you it is probably best to research further until you see a clear path. Making a wrong choice as you have seen can be an expensive mistake which many do. There is lots to be said about waiting things out for now. Lots of new people and RVs out there and campgrounds are nearing capacity with spots and reservations slim or requiring lots of advance planning so using a camper now to do what you want could be difficult. If things turn by next spring you could probably be cherry picking.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
    With the current situation we have been doing a lot of thinking about a trailer vs a small motorhome. We thought maybe a small motorhome (Sprinter C Class) would be very handy in these times and in the near future since it could be used for short trips where you don't want to drag a TT around and be easier for cross country travel as well especially with the crowds and potential shortages of camp spots, if a camp spot could not be found it would be an easy manner to just park somewhere and fire up the on board genny. It would also be handy for day trips to have kitchen and toilet with you. Of course the drawbacks are less space inside and having to break camp every time you want to go somewhere, or tow a small car.
    We had pretty much talked ourselves into the Sprinter and went to look at a used one yesterday but were somewhat disappointed at what you get for the money, these rigs fetch some pretty high prices even used. The one we looked at said "like new" but it definitely was not, and priced over $80K, 6 years old and rough. Same model new is $165K and a 14 month wait.
    So back home to think some more, maybe back to plan A, TT and truck. Spoke with my sister in WA and she told me they are getting a bit tired of their MH, especially when stuck inside in poor weather. They are now thinking about a truck and trailer again.
    Where we are at: 1. Decided not to do anything rash at the moment since the future of the epidemic and the future of the economy is unknown at this time, and I do not feel it is the best time to try and buy when everyone else is trying to buy. Unfortunately may wait till fall or even next year to see if things normalize a bit.
    2. I have a sneaking suspicion that the sudden RV craze will slow significantly in the fall, or when things improve with this pandemic and we will have more to choose from at better prices.

I know a lot of you experienced RVers have tried both TT and MH and we welcome your comments. Incidentally we have very limited choices on size due to wanting to keep the rig at home in the garage which is 30 feet deep with an 11 foot rollup door. So we know exactly which TT it will be and exactly which MH it will be if we go that direction.
    We really like having the trailer rather than a small or large motorhome for a few reasons.
    1. Price of trailer and truck is cheaper than the motorhome.
    2. You get much more in the trailer as far a value, living space and storage space goes. At least in our view.
    3. No need to disconnect everything to go shopping or sightseeing. Setup once and done until you leave. Could pull a small car behind a motorhome but just not for us considering 1 and 2.
    4. More space in the trailer plus not needing to break down camp when you want to leave makes rainy days easier to cope with.

With you limited space for storage seems to me that you would be better off with the trailer for many of the reasons mentioned.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post

My recommendation would be to rent one. It can get quite expensive if you buy the wrong one. No matter which one you bought you would probably always be second guessing that decision. I think i would start with the class c because of the limited size that some people complain about.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am solidly in the trailer option 'camp'. Sooooooo much versatility.

You get a truck - very useful; and that's your ride into the back country dirt roads if you want to explore out west a bit. You can't do that with a Class B or C (wellll, you can, but you wouldn't want to go where I go exploring).

Like you said - you don't have to break camp. You want to watch that 'goat rodeo'? - go to any western national park and watch all the rental people set up and break down daily and then watch when they have to find a parking spot in this crazed and crowded places!

We've had travel trailers, class As (small and large) and 5th wheels. For now the fiver is the best choice. I can almost see a smaller trailer in our future (years away from that I hope). And whenever I start to drool over Class Bs and small Cs I whack myself in the head thinking that I would have to have a 'toad' because of laziness over breaking camp daily.

When we've traveled with folks not towing or with no separate vehicle other than their camper it always ends up where they want a ride to the restaurant(s) on the day trips, etc. Seems like a hassle.

Finally - for the position you are in now, no decision (other than to keep looking) IS a decision. So don't beat yourself up about not choosing yet.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    ... So don't beat yourself up about not choosing yet.
    We researched for 2 years before we finally made a choice. But we were determined not to play the "people buying RVs tend to buy 3 rigs before they finally get the one they should have bought in the first place" game.

We've had it 3 1/2 years and still like it, no plans to "upgrade", "get a new one" or "sell it".

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We oscillated for a while (even after we bought this trailer). We spend a good fraction of the year traveling with a camper. My sister is a "drifter" in a class C, she's on the road most of the time, so we can see that lifestyle too.

At home we live in a house and drive a car to the store. I've never thought "gee it would be so much easier if we could just pack up the house and drive it to the store."
    On the road, its the same thing except its a smaller house. That's why you see most motorhomes with a tow vehicle. So when we asked ourselves the question: "What would we gain by adding a motor and drive train to our house?" We couldn't come up with an answer that justified the cost.

My sister did though. But she moved from a 36 ft sailboat to a 22 ft MH. She's all 12 volt and solar, so she's only "hooked-up" for the time to drain one tank and refill the other.
    Steve & Sheryl
    Bucca and Nyx RIP-Tag and Gordon
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    Ford F250

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    We researched for 2 years before we finally made a choice. But we were determined not to play the "people buying RVs tend to buy 3 rigs before they finally get the one they should have bought in the first place" game.

We've had it 3 1/2 years and still like it, no plans to "upgrade", "get a new one" or "sell it".
    We did the same, and have no regrets. Buy the biggest truck you can, and you can tow whatever trailer you decide upon in the future.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast