User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lunkhead View Post
    This soft starter looks like a definite need.. adding this to my list!

Forgive the dumb question, but would one need a soft starter unit for each air conditioner?

Really appreciate the suggestion!
    I was thinking the same thing.

It almost seems like, in an RV, you could just hook up a big capacitor near the genset and have the same effect, no? I mean, most of the soft start kits I've ever seen are basically just a medium sized capacitor, or at least, that's what they appear to be. Seems like you could get "soft start" for everything win a big cap near the transfer switch.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgive the dumb question, but would one need a soft starter unit for each air conditioner?

I am adding the micro air easy start to my 15btu AC this week. It should arrive today. That way I will easily be able to run it off my Champion dual fuel 3500. And it just saves on the compressor wear and tear.

I am also going to add a micro air to my 13.5k in the near future so that I can run both off of a 30 amp service. My 3500 generator wont put out enough starting amps to run both off of the generator even with micro air on each AC but when connected to 30 amp shore power, i will be golden.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We got separate soft starters for each AC. I'm not sure if there's are different ones than we have that can be installed to work on more than one unit.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, if you want the soft start capability for both, you'll need one for both units. I have them on each unit and they both will run off my 2 Westinghouse 2500's without issue
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the interim, you might have luck by turning the A/C fan on "low", then turn the A/C to "cool", then turn the fan to "high". This way the start-up amperage is not as much and you may get away with it. With the fan running before the compressor kicks in, and staying on constantly instead of coming on with the compressor, amp draw is reduced. I had to do this with my SOB TT and a 3600 watt Champion genney.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing we had on was the refrigerator on, and it was running on propane. The internal breaker in the gen sets kept popping and I had to unplug the cord and reset the on/off button on them. I like the microair soft start idea, but wondering if that will void any type of warranty?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my 2nd cents on this (at least for on the Coleman unit I did this on). If you experience any issue, expect for it to be blamed, no matter what it is, on anything you've done.
    This device is also very easy to remove if you ever have an issue. I used very strong 2 sided adhesive to mount, so no drilling. It is essentially unplugging 2 wires and connective them into the device. I used the WAGO wire connector that GD already uses in other areas to avoid even having to crimp, then wrapped in electrical tape. It would just require crimping a spade terminal back on the wire to plug back in to OEM connections.
    Gus & Em
    2020.5 311BHS *Now w/ Disc Brakes from Stopyourtrailer.com
    2013 F250 6.7L Long Bed (200k+ and strong) w/ 5k airbag system

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armand_c View Post
    The only thing we had on was the refrigerator on, and it was running on propane. The internal breaker in the gen sets kept popping and I had to unplug the cord and reset the on/off button on them. I like the microair soft start idea, but wondering if that will void any type of warranty?
    It's your battery charger using 12 to 14 amps in the background, it's in bulk mode when it first gets AC. Turn off the circuit breaker to the charger and try it again.

You shouldn't need a soft start with 26 amps available from the Honda 2000's.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have what seems like the last 2019 260RD before they called them 2020 models with a single A/C unit. I use a single 3100 watt Champion generator and I was able to start the A/C without shutting anything else down first. For full disclosure I have installed a soft start but to protect the A/C running components.
    I really think you need to investigate further why the breaker is tripping because you may have a problem. Out of curiosity have you started it off of shore power recently? Have you confirmed that both generators yolked together are in fact powering the line? I know many say they can start an A/C unit with a single Honda 2000 but that is really on the edge and the breaker may really just be doing it's job.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KYCampers View Post
    Here's my 2nd cents on this (at least for on the Coleman unit I did this on). If you experience any issue, expect for it to be blamed, no matter what it is, on anything you've done.
    This device is also very easy to remove if you ever have an issue. I used very strong 2 sided adhesive to mount, so no drilling. It is essentially unplugging 2 wires and connective them into the device. I used the WAGO wire connector that GD already uses in other areas to avoid even having to crimp, then wrapped in electrical tape. It would just require crimping a spade terminal back on the wire to plug back in to OEM connections.
    Thanks for your insight.

I lost faith in the stealerships and service centers long ago, so we do as much work as we can ourselves.. My workmanship is better than what we get out of the labor we pay for anyway! But it's very wise to have a quick and easy way to revert to stock if the need or desire arose.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast