User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Running AC unit with a generator questions

So we finally got to take out our new 2021 Reflection 260RD out on our first camping trip. While camping at a national forest campground we decided to set up our two Honda EU2000 generators which I run in tandem. As soon as I flipped the switch to turn on the AC unit, the breaker on the AC unit popped. I reset again after I checked everything out and bam! same thing happened. I checked the breaker inn the panel and none of the breakers were popped and went outside and checked the generator. Unplugged the cord and reinstalled and had the kids turn on the AC unit and same thing happened. At this point, I realized that this wasn't going to work, so I gave up before I did something i would regret. Never had any problems using these two generators on our old trailer with a 13k BTU AC unit. This one has a 15k unit. We weren't running anything else except for the lights. Am i going to need a bigger generator to run the AC unit? The only thing I could think of is that I was using a 50 to 30 amp reducer to plug into the generators. This unit only has one AC unit by the way, not two. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks all

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to look into adding a soft starter to the AC. The current draw starting the compressor is your issue. Adding a soft starter will decrease that initial current draw. Many can run their AC's w/ just one Honda. Micro-air is the industry standard. Lots of YouTube videos showing how it dramatically reduces current draw. I installed in my reflection in less than 45 minutes. It also decreases the compressor noise when starting.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More power!!! Lol. It won't hurt. The issue is likely as said above with the starting demand. Also, why you think you may have nothing else on, the battery could be charging or you have the HWH on electric or the fridge.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the MicroAir Easy Start. Your two gensets don't have enough amps for the heavy amp draw of the ac unit when it first kicks over. Once the unit is running the amp draw goes down.

https://www.microair.net/collections...nt=30176048267
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    More power!!! Lol. It won't hurt. The issue is likely as said above with the starting demand. Also, why you think you may have nothing else on, the battery could be charging or you have the HWH on electric or the fridge.
    I would also recommend the above suggestions. I would also consider your rv fridge leave that on propane, your outside fridge if equipped and dont forget your battery converter/charger that too can draw a bunch of amps you are trying to use to start the AC. flip a few breakers and try again?

Mike

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2 Honda EU2200 generators and they will easily start one of my 15k Colemans. I tried it as a test when I bought them last fall, make sure nothing else is on like fridge, water heater, etc. I did not turn off the converter during the test however. Maybe the new 2200's make enough power to start them, who knows. I also do not have the easy start kits on the a/c units. I would try again making sure everything else is off and also make sure the eco throttle setting is OFF on the generator before starting a/c,
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should have plenty of generator for 1 AC unit. Does AC breaker kick out on shore power?
    Becky, BoBo and Mike
    2015 Solitude 369RL
    2020 GMC 2500 Duramax
    Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armand_c View Post
    So we finally got to take out our new 2021 Reflection 260RD out on our first camping trip. While camping at a national forest campground we decided to set up our two Honda EU2000 generators which I run in tandem. As soon as I flipped the switch to turn on the AC unit, the breaker on the AC unit popped. I reset again after I checked everything out and bam! same thing happened. I checked the breaker inn the panel and none of the breakers were popped and went outside and checked the generator. Unplugged the cord and reinstalled and had the kids turn on the AC unit and same thing happened. At this point, I realized that this wasn't going to work, so I gave up before I did something i would regret. Never had any problems using these two generators on our old trailer with a 13k BTU AC unit. This one has a 15k unit. We weren't running anything else except for the lights. Am i going to need a bigger generator to run the AC unit? The only thing I could think of is that I was using a 50 to 30 amp reducer to plug into the generators. This unit only has one AC unit by the way, not two. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks all
    I agree with Txfivver, double check what things you have running on 110v and turn them off. You'd be surprised how much power things like the electric water heater takes.

On my 2800bh, my 2 Honda 2200's easily run my a/c.
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    I have 2 Honda EU2200 generators and they will easily start one of my 15k Colemans. I tried it as a test when I bought them last fall, make sure nothing else is on like fridge, water heater, etc. I did not turn off the converter during the test however. Maybe the new 2200's make enough power to start them, who knows. I also do not have the easy start kits on the a/c units. I would try again making sure everything else is off and also make sure the eco throttle setting is OFF on the generator before starting a/c,
    This, you should have plenty of power. Experience suggests that you do not need to get some kind of easy start system. Many folks here start their factory AC units with 2800-3400 watts of generator power. See what else is on when starting. turn off all the breakers except the AC and try again. If that does not work I suspect a ground fault plug would help. See other threads regarding grounding plugs for the Honda generators.
    Brian & Shea+ Zeke & Roxy GSP’s
    2018 GD Reflection 303RLS 800w solar 400ah LiFePO4
    Sold 2018 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat gas 2,980# payload
    2024 Ford F-350 4x4 CCSB Lariat diesel 4,000# payload

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This soft starter looks like a definite need.. adding this to my list!

Forgive the dumb question, but would one need a soft starter unit for each air conditioner?

Really appreciate the suggestion!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast