User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer Brakes Safety Cable Pulled...

Had a bit of a tough sled when rolling into our holiday campsite on Thursday. A friend had booked a bunch of sites for a group of us, and we never were told that there was second entrance to be used for 5th wheel/long rigs. We all came up a different times, so my wife and I just followed the signs to the office. Short story, I got jammed up in a situation where I was asked to back up and out. Campground 'security' dude promised to ground guide me; I asked him to take a hand-held, but he said "I don't need that; I'll be in the your mirror the whole time". Well, or course that didn't happen. Long story short, there was no way to make the target 'spot' between a boat and a trailer, so I aborted.

Sometime during the process, the safety cable pulled out on the trailer. This cable pulled once before, and when it did the Ram trailering package had displayed a message on the dash. This time, I wasn't in the right screen, so i never so a message. As a result, I couldn't figure out what was happening. I had literally 10 cars and golf carts lined up in front and in back of me, so I tried to pull forward up a hill. Well, the Ram dragged the 327M up the hill for about 100ft, where I was able to get out and correct the problem. I know, I should have checked it right away, but I didn't as I was getting nagged at by the facilities folks to move move move.

Live and learn. It was FUBAR for sure; ended up having to navigate the entire tent camping section of the grounds (tight turns, stone walls, trees, carts, etc.) to get to the pull thrus.

Moving on, I now re-routed the safety cable to a closer anchor point relative to the pin box in the hopes it won't unnecessary pull out again. I'm also going to be sure to run the Ram's dash info screens on the tow/trailer mode. As far as the trailer and any damage, I don't seem to be able to see any flat spots on the tires, and didn't smell and burning break odors. Here's my question: Is there a good way to inspect the trailer brakes/system without a removing the wheels?
    CJ & Jo
    RIP: Rocky & Rya
    2018 Momentum 327M, 2019 RAM 2500 6.7L Turbo Cummins, BW Companion Slider, Timbren SES, Bilstein 4600

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At slow speed for a short distance, I wouldn’t be too worried. If the brakes work, you should be fine.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks John - yep, the brakes are working still, so that's a good sign!
    CJ & Jo
    2018 Momentum 327M, 2019 RAM 2500 6.7L Turbo Cummins, BW Companion Slider, Timbren SES, Bilstein 4600

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you still have the OEM cable, you might want to consider switching to one of these......https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a pic of mine hooked up to a truckbed tool box, via an eyebolt mounted into the box.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not moving fast for one hundred feet you would not have built up enough heat to hurt anything.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    If you still have the OEM cable, you might want to consider switching to one of these......https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a pic of mine hooked up to a truckbed tool box, via an eyebolt mounted into the box.
    ordered! Thanks for this...
    CJ & Jo

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're certainly welcome. I got the idea from Chad and Tara from Changing Lanes RV and ordered it for mine....I like it.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"