User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parts Secret number please

I keep reading about how all these folks just call up Grand Design and they send part under warranty without having to deal with a dealer.

I tried calling customer service and was nicely told to go pack sand and deal with a dealer.

Well since I have been calling the dealer for weeks and still can't get an answer, and the LED light bar on the rear awning that has never worked was "ordered" 2 months ago and I still have not got a call about that... I was hoping maybe I could get access to the top secret line where they will drop ship me some parts.

Thanks

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpfinder View Post
    I keep reading about how all these folks just call up Grand Design and they send part under warranty without having to deal with a dealer.

I tried calling customer service and was nicely told to go pack sand and deal with a dealer.

Well since I have been calling the dealer for weeks and still can't get an answer, and the LED light bar on the rear awning that has never worked was "ordered" 2 months ago and I still have not got a call about that... I was hoping maybe I could get access to the top secret line where they will drop ship me some parts.

Thanks
    I would try calling again and explain the situation with the dealer. I have not had this issue with GD customer service and they have shipped me a couple of items when I called about issues with them.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best bet is to ask the dealer for the pre-authorization number, if they cant give you one, they didnt order the part. If they give you the number, call GD and provide it to them and they can tell you the status.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    I would try calling again and explain the situation with the dealer. I have not had this issue with GD customer service and they have shipped me a couple of items when I called about issues with them.

Rob
    Every time we've called GD regarding getting a part, we've been told "order it through a dealer". Never, again [U]NEVER[U] has GD sent anything direct to us, or even suggested it.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    I know it's frustrating to find your new camper is dysfunctional and more so when you can't get help to solve a problem. If you do call Customer service and don't get a response you think is appropriate send an email here: [email protected]
    If you go to the General Discussion forum there is a sticky at the top with contact numbers and email addresses. Some are dead links, not being updated or current but I know that one works.
    I'm just asking here to get all the facts. You seem willing to do some DIY so I'll ask if you have verified there is power to the light strip when you attempt to turn them on? GD with all their expertise (being sarcastic ) has been know to miss a few things and hide fuses in obscure places. If you don't have power next place to look is behind the panel where the switch is located.
    Two recommendations, if I may, are to install dimmers as those lights tend to be too bright and should you replace the LED strip get your own, file a claim and send the receipt to GD. They are nothing special and you can find them easily on the 'net in rolls that can be trimmed to fit. I also suggest thinking about yellow tinted lights, bugs are not attracted to it like the bright white.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 07-07-2020 at 05:15 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    Every time we've called GD regarding getting a part, we've been told "order it through a dealer". Never, again [U]NEVER[U] has GD sent anything direct to us, or even suggested it.
    Sorry to hear that you have not had luck getting GD to send parts. They sent me a new antenna amplifier because I could not get the cable TV to work and did the trouble shooting myself. They also sent me a new furnace cover because the original was rusting out at the bottom. They would not however send me so of the bulb seal for the slideout when mine was split. Guess it can be hit or miss and maybe I have been lucky.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    I know it's frustrating to find your new camper is dysfunctional and more so when you can't get help to solve a problem. If you do call Customer service and don't get a response you think is appropriate send an email here: [email protected]
    If you go to the General Discussion forum there is a sticky at the top with contact numbers and email addresses. Some are dead links, not being updated or current but I know that one works.
    I'm just asking here to get all the facts. You seem willing to do some DIY so I'll ask if you have verified there is power to the light strip when you attempt to turn them on? GD with all their expertise (being sarcastic ) has been know to miss a few things and hide fuses in obscure places. If you don't have power next place to look is behind the panel where the switch is located.
    Two recommendations, if I may, are to install dimmers as those lights tend to be too bright and should you replace the LED strip get your own, file a claim and send the receipt to GD. They are nothing special and you can find them easily on the 'net in rolls that can be trimmed to fit. I also suggest thinking about yellow tinted lights, bugs are not attracted to it like the bright white.

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes I am a fixer, much easier for me to do this work than to take it somewhere.

1. Light Strip, I have disconnected and used volt ohm meter and went one step further and ran lights off the wire at the awning edge, so I know I am getting power. To your point, yeah it might be easier to just buy my own and be done with it. ( like the idea about yellow vs white and dimmers )
    2. My hot water heater cover blew off the rig 7 miles into maiden voyage, and I have never removed it. By the time I got to it, it got ran over 3 times including my yellow jacket blocker.
    3. Screen door catch screws were stripped and the screen door would not stay attached to main door, some jbweld sorted that out.
    4. Tables that slide on to Super Sofa, were mounted unlevel and screws were stripped out. Put backing boards inside couch, and used 1/4 inch bolts to re-attach
    5. Back door into rig will not close unless you hold the latch open while closing. ( have not dug into this one yet)
    6. Rear bunkhouse window (emergency exit) blew open driving down road, got shut down before any damage was done. ( added to pre-flight checklist)
    7. drivers side basement door where water system is decided to just come open despite the latch being locked. ( still not sure why/how that happened ) but lost nothing and did not damage.
    8. Light above main door lens cap fell off on the way home from the dealer, but the light is still there and works just need a cover for it. ( one of the parts I am seeking)
    9. Rear awning, does not suck up all the way against the slide out. Played with some settings and still trying to figure out what might be the cause of this.
    10. Auto level was set wrong, was sitting about 1.5 inches to low in front, doors kept swinging closed. Found instructions on how to reset this.
    11 Main entrance door the metal catch that screws into the wall is stripped out.
    12. All the screws in the bay doors had to be tightened

All of this is fine, and I knew going into this purchase that I was going to be busy fixing / repairing. I was just hoping for an easy in to getting the parts needed to sort out messes on my own.

Where I really screwed up, was purchasing a SRW 1 Ton in Dec prior to buying the camper. I had to eat some serious money to upgrade to a 1ton DRW.

I could have gotten by with the SRW but man i must admit this thing rides down the road so much better with a dually. I am not a big weight police kind of guy, but the stability that DRW brought with it was worth every penny I ate.

I will take a breath and go at it one more time prior to reaching out to the email you provided.

Okie

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @stumpfinder your list has a lot of things the dealer should have checked. One way to be able to DIY is to get the right contact at your dealer that handles warranty items. This is always someone that is not in the main service or parts department as their sole job is to put claims into the manufacturers for parts under warranty identified by service. It's a process because photos are required by most all manufacturers now to support claims. If this individual is locked away to you, the Service Manager us your next best bet. They will likely ask you to describe the issue and provide photographs and they will do the behind the scenes with GD and ask the dealer to have items sent direct to you. With the light and HWH cover, expect push-back on these under warranty. In fact, they'll be officially denied most likely. However, GD will typically provide good will replacement for a brand new rig. The push-back will because the unit was delivered with them, no "we owe" from the dealer, and the dealer and yourself are expected to make sure these things are secure. No doubt the HWH door didn't get the twist on the latch. I can tell you from a 5-month saga I've been in, my dealership is at hot mess from the corporate flagship location all the way through to satellite store servicing me, and Grand Design is absolutely swamped! They have been nothing but great to us, including stepping in to correct the dealer's blunders, but even when management is doing everything to assist it doesn't always translate to the guy packing the boxes!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    @stumpfinder your list has a lot of things the dealer should have checked. One way to be able to DIY is to get the right contact at your dealer that handles warranty items. This is always someone that is not in the main service or parts department as their sole job is to put claims into the manufacturers for parts under warranty identified by service. It's a process because photos are required by most all manufacturers now to support claims. If this individual is locked away to you, the Service Manager us your next best bet. They will likely ask you to describe the issue and provide photographs and they will do the behind the scenes with GD and ask the dealer to have items sent direct to you. With the light and HWH cover, expect push-back on these under warranty. In fact, they'll be officially denied most likely. However, GD will typically provide good will replacement for a brand new rig. The push-back will because the unit was delivered with them, no "we owe" from the dealer, and the dealer and yourself are expected to make sure these things are secure. No doubt the HWH door didn't get the twist on the latch. I can tell you from a 5-month saga I've been in, my dealership is at hot mess from the corporate flagship location all the way through to satellite store servicing me, and Grand Design is absolutely swamped! They have been nothing but great to us, including stepping in to correct the dealer's blunders, but even when management is doing everything to assist it doesn't always translate to the guy packing the boxes!
    Thanks all....
    Called the dealer 3 more times today... Got voicemail
    Sent email to GD parts, they responded with:
    Hi John,

Here are some dealers that you could contact that would be happy to assist you with your part needs:

Coachlight RV Sales

417-358-7444

Pharr RVs

806-765-6088

Tiara RV Sales

574-266-2136

Youngbloods of Paducah KY

270-443-8211

Notice no part numbers were included...

Finally got smart, got both parts ordered online for grand total of 50 bucks... Problem solved... Unless I have a serious problem in the future... I think this might be the path of least resistance, and much better than spending hours calling/asking/begging/pleading/leaving voicemails/being ignored.

Thanks again for all the advice, I will work on making contacts within a dealership if possible, and just keep fingers crossed nothing big goes wrong.

Okie

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all....
    Notice no part numbers were included...

Finally got smart, got both parts ordered online for grand total of 50 bucks... Problem solved... Unless I have a serious problem in the future... I think this might be the path of least resistance, and much better than spending hours calling/asking/begging/pleading/leaving voicemails/being ignored.

Thanks again for all the advice, I will work on making contacts within a dealership if possible, and just keep fingers crossed nothing big goes wrong.

Okie

Again a well worded and placed email as I suggested above works wonders. I don't know what happened to customer support or you just drew the wrong representative. Once I latched onto one I found was going to help I channel everything through her even my travails with Lippert, Dexter and now Lionshead so at least she is aware. If I don't get satisfaction she has had my back. Also she has been accommodating of reimbursing for parts and third party repairs.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 07-07-2020 at 02:50 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast