User Tag List

Thread: Tow capacity

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tow capacity

We have a GD xls 23bhe (GVWR 7000 lbs) and are planning to trade in our SUV to a truck that can carry it safely. One option is the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Trail Boss that has a towing capacity of 9400. Obviously, we don't want to cut it too close and that's the reason for trading the SUV. However, what is a comfortable payload/towing spare room that would give us safe towing and won't hurt driving experience?

Thank you!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Numerous posts on site, try advance search. Try not to become part of the multiple trowel vehicle club. Remember to read the tag on each vehicle for accurate tor capacity. Remember that any truck will tow a trailer, you want one that can stop your trailer.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by velran View Post
    We have a GD xls 23bhe (GVWR 7000 lbs) and are planning to trade in our SUV to a truck that can carry it safely. One option is the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Trail Boss that has a towing capacity of 9400. Obviously, we don't want to cut it too close and that's the reason for trading the SUV. However, what is a comfortable payload/towing spare room that would give us safe towing and won't hurt driving experience?

Thank you!
    The 23bhe is pretty close to the dry weights of our 22mle except ours is a little shorter.

To try and find out how much payload you will need you’ll need to add some things up. How much weight for you, other, kids, gear, food, tools will go into your truck when towing the trailer? Now add to that the tongue weight for the 23bhe, I’m going to say about 750#, which would include the weight of a weight distribution hitch (WDH), which is highly recommended. Your truck will need to cover the sum of these weights. Keep in mind that your kids will grow and you may want to take bikes, etc.

Towing: with 9,400 for your potential new truck you will be okay with the 23bhe. I suspect you will be about 6,000-6,300# ready for camping which gives you a nice margin.

You will want to make sure your new truck has the towing package. Also keep in mind the higher trim packages with things like sun-roof etc. will make the truck heavier which will reduce your payload.
    Last edited by Tigger1; 07-06-2020 at 07:37 PM.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We planned on towing our GD Imagine 2500RL (also 7500 lb GWV) with a new Silverado 1/2 ton Z71 with the 3.0 litre Duramax. Capacity all within spec and well matched (on paper) to the Imagine. The powertrain was superb and handled the load perfectly. The thing that got us was the overall truck GVWR (curb weight plus payload, fuel and tongue weight all need to be added together and subtracted from the GWWR. We came in around 10% under GVWR, and lots of of room in GCWR but the Z71 suspension, reworked for 2020, was very unhappy with that weight over the axle. I imagine the Trail Boss, with its lifted suspension but also using Rancho shocks, might experience this too. It would start to gallop on uneven roads, and this would reverberate for several cycles--sometimes to the point where it became unbearable. I thought the truck was going to buck the trailer right off of the hitch at times. I found myself traveling 10-15 mph below speed limit to mitigate the bounce which mixed us right in with semi's, and all of that became frustrating due to frequent lane changing, etc. We replaced factory bump stops with Timbrens, and got a bit more lateral control but a harsh "bump" noise that we could hear and feel and it would repeat as we lurched over an uneven stretch of road. Didn't want to swap out the suspension on a brand new truck. After a long white-knuckle trip with constant side-wind gusts, I got home safely and located a 2018 Sierra 2500HD, and it doesn't even know the trailer is behind it. Night and day. The moral of this long winded story is to be cautious of ratings on paper--if the truck isn't happy, you won't be either. Lesson learned!!