User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cabinet and Drawer Latches

After 2 years, many of my cabinet and drawer latches are letting go. I was thinking to go with magnetic ones. Would that work, or would magnetic latches be too weak to be suitable for travel? An example of what I’m thinking about is here: https://www.amazon.com/JQK-Magnetic-...4122575&sr=8-3
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think possibly a stronger magnet would work, 20lb just sounds like it might not take the force of a heavy item hitting the door. Maybe a 70 lb magnet? or is that overkill??
    The old latches might simply just need adjusting
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There would be a tightrope to walk between a magnet strong enough to hold the door or drawer with something shifting and hitting it and a magnet not so strong that you would hurt yourself trying to open the door or drawer. If the springs on the current latches have truly weakened and don't simply need adjusting as suggest by Marcy ( @WhittleBurner ), I would probably just replace the latches with the same thing.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Below are the latches installed by Newmar on many of their coaches.

Troubled early on with the cheap pinch-roller latches installed by Grand Design, I bought some of these. I installed only one of them because

a) I found it challenging to get it properly aligned when installing, but the main reason I installed only one was...

b) My wife felt that they held TOO strongly, but she was already angry at me about something else.

Some day I'll install at least one more and ask for her approval again when she's in a good mood. Despite the challenge of installing I think they're great latches and wish we had them everywhere. As it is, we have to tape most of our cupboards and drawers with masking tape before departure, which is a quick and simple task but having proper latches in the first place would be nice.

If you like this advice, here's one place I just found that sells them but there are likely others plus any Newmar dealer should have them.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...-pound_14-7909
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    ... As it is, we have to tape most of our cupboards and drawers with masking tape before departure...
    Wow! We've never had to do anything beyond just making sure all doors and drawers are closed - neither in the Reflection nor the new Solitude.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Wow! We've never had to do anything beyond just making sure all doors and drawers are closed - neither in the Reflection nor the new Solitude. Rob
    Our 2018 Reflection 320MKS wasn't so bad - just a couple of incidents - but our 2018 Solitude 310GK built a year later has had loose latches from the beginning, lots of incidents with drawers and cabinets opening before we began taping.

On returning home in March this year, even though taped one cabinet door at the rear over the sofa ripped the tape and opened. Then the open door sagged and snapped the screw holding its upper hinge. The (presumably-bouncing) door then damaged the finish and bent the lower hinge, which I'm still trying to find in hardware stores.

Inside that cabinet was a 12" tall square basket sitting on anti-slip rubber matting with three books weighing several pounds in the bottom of it. The pinch-roller latches are inadequate IMO; sure haven't been doing it for us.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch