User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway fear_the_known's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dealer Won't Install ProPride Hitch

I am picking up my 2020 300RBTS from the dealer in a few weeks and initially ordered a weight distribution hitch to be installed before the walk through. In the meantime, I did some research on the Hensley/ProPride hitches and decided on the ProPride for various reasons. I call my dealer to ask them to install the hitch beforehand and they refused, stating "we don't sell that brand so we cant install it". I wasn't sure what to say so I asked if they CAN'T install it or WON'T, and the service advisor responded "won't". Has anyone experienced this before, a dealer refusing to install a product because they don't sell it? I will only be taking the trailer home, about 15 miles, am I safe to pull this thing without any hitch system just to get it home to do the install myself? TV is a 2020 Ram 3500 SRW.
    2020 Grand Design 300RBTS
    2020 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited SRW

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the time. Dealers are all independent shops and they can, and do, what they please. Heck, many dealers do not install basic WDH properly! For 15 miles and a 3500 tow vehicle, I wouldn't sweat it at all. Consider it saving some money given a high degree of likelihood you'd be readjusting anything a dealer did to the point of nearly reinstall anyway...
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect! Just what I needed to know. I honestly wasn't sure whether to trust them to install it correctly anyway and when two separate service advisors said they had never heard of ProPride, or even Hensley for that matter, it made me a tad nervous.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Geotex1, my dealer installed mine since I bought from them but I have the redo the install as it's not right. With you tt and the short distance, you'll be fine. And then you can do the install properly.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can understand a dealer not wanting to install a ProPride not being familiar with it. It will take YOU at least 4 hours to install it yourself. Just take your time. If you’re up to it you may want to install it yourself at the dealers lot. The hardest thing is relocating the propane tank tray. You can remove the propane tray and the tanks, install the Propride, tow the trailer home and finish the tank and tray install at home.

If you plan on trying to tow it home with standard ball hitch check the label on your trucks hitch tongue weight rating for non weight distributing hitch. You should be fine with your truck. .The 300RBTS will likely have a high weight close to 900+ lbs with battery and full propane tanks.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Heck, many dealers do not install basic WDH properly!
    You can say that again... I had to completely remove and re-do my equal-I-zer and found it was improperly installed (L brackets too close, ball too high, all the washers used). This is after I caught them halfway through installing the completely wrong WDH.. after they drilled into my frame for one of the plates . I made them leave the plate as I did not want holes in my brand new frame...

So I agree, get it home without the WDH and take the time to do it yourself
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2021 Ram 2500 Laramie - 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel

BattleBorn LiFePO4 - Renogy/Victron Solar - SumoSprings - SeeLevel II

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fear_the_known View Post
    I am picking up my 2020 300RBTS from the dealer in a few weeks and initially ordered a weight distribution hitch to be installed before the walk through. In the meantime, I did some research on the Hensley/ProPride hitches and decided on the ProPride for various reasons. I call my dealer to ask them to install the hitch beforehand and they refused, stating "we don't sell that brand so we cant install it". I wasn't sure what to say so I asked if they CAN'T install it or WON'T, and the service advisor responded "won't". Has anyone experienced this before, a dealer refusing to install a product because they don't sell it? I will only be taking the trailer home, about 15 miles, am I safe to pull this thing without any hitch system just to get it home to do the install myself? TV is a 2020 Ram 3500 SRW.
    Standard procedure. They do not want liability . . . or lost revenue.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Dealer wants to sell you their hitch. That's a $400-500 sale that they're not going to give up on - maybe more if they're jacking you up on it. They're not going to make it easy for you to install something else. They'll be happy to sell you theirs, and install it. Then you go home, uninstall their hitch (you now have a brand new hitch that is useless to you), and then install the ProPride hitch.

1. How far a drive is it from the dealer to home?
    2. What kind of hitch is the dealer selling you?
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
    The Dealer wants to sell you their hitch. That's a $400-500 sale that they're not going to give up on - maybe more if they're jacking you up on it. They're not going to make it easy for you to install something else. They'll be happy to sell you theirs, and install it. Then you go home, uninstall their hitch (you now have a brand new hitch that is useless to you), and then install the ProPride hitch.

1. How far a drive is it from the dealer to home?
    2. What kind of hitch is the dealer selling you?
    So, initially I said we were 15 miles from the dealer but we are really more like 25 due to some construction detours. They are charging me $700 for a Curt TruTrack I believe, which seems to be somewhat inflated. I really don't want to pay $700 for a hitch that in now worth $200 and then have to go through the hassle of selling it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thought is to get a simple, cheap class IV hitch receiver just to get it home. As others have mentioned, with a 3500 and a relatively short distance the WDH is more of a nice-to-have than a must-have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2021 Ram 2500 Laramie - 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel

BattleBorn LiFePO4 - Renogy/Victron Solar - SumoSprings - SeeLevel II

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast