Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three weeks old: Still not potty trained.

Entered my 2021 GD this morning, we got some (a lot) of rain yesterday (first time it rained since we purchased). Puddles. Lots of puddles.

Found the kitchen skylight, something looks a bit "off" here. Over torqued screws perhaps? Clearly cracked the (incredibly cheap, so it seems) skylight plastic:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200707_130818.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	27904

There are 3-4 areas like that, with another smaller crack in the corner. Second skylight looks fine. I'm not sure how this could even happen unless someone stepped on that edge with all their weight or the screws were too tight during installation. Since more rain is coming, I let it dry (we had some sun), cleaned it up a bit and put additional dicor around those cracks.

Anything I should be worried about as far as water damage from this (assuming it doesn't leak again before it's replaced)? There was some evidence on the interior screws to the skylight having been wet - possibly rolling along the ceiling, hopefully nothing else.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very sorry to hear that. Does look like it was stepped on. Can you remove the flange around the skylight on the inside? If so, you might take a hair dryer on low to dry any nooks & crannies.

As for sealant, GD uses Alpha Systems roofing and they recommend Alpha Systems 1021 self-leveling sealant in white or Camping World sells the same thing made by Alpha called Super Flex self-leveling.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick reply. Have it apart now.

The good news is that nothing I can see looks wet. The bad news is everything I can't see but can (barely) touch feels wet.

I'll leave it off to air out .... what would a dealer do in this case? I'm thinking the ceiling panel needs to be pulled to get to the wet insulation.

Can't even fit my phone in there to take some pictures of what I cannot see. I'll try to rig up a camera of some kind..

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deklar View Post
    Entered my 2021 GD this morning, we got some (a lot) of rain yesterday (first time it rained since we purchased). Puddles. Lots of puddles.

Found the kitchen skylight, something looks a bit "off" here. Over torqued screws perhaps? Clearly cracked the (incredibly cheap, so it seems) skylight plastic:

Name:	20200707_130818.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	27904

There are 3-4 areas like that, with another smaller crack in the corner. Second skylight looks fine. I'm not sure how this could even happen unless someone stepped on that edge with all their weight or the screws were too tight during installation. Since more rain is coming, I let it dry (we had some sun), cleaned it up a bit and put additional dicor around those cracks.

Anything I should be worried about as far as water damage from this (assuming it doesn't leak again before it's replaced)? There was some evidence on the interior screws to the skylight having been wet - possibly rolling along the ceiling, hopefully nothing else.
    I would expect the dealer to replace the skylight and anything else such as insulation and ceiling panel that is wet. Should not happen on a brand new unit.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick reply. Have it apart now.

The good news is that nothing I can see looks wet. The bad news is everything I can't see but can (barely) touch feels wet.

I'll leave it off to air out .... what would a dealer do in this case? I'm thinking the ceiling panel needs to be pulled to get to the wet insulation.

Can't even fit my phone in there to take some pictures of what I cannot see. I'll try to rig up a camera of some kind..
    Anyway you can set up and blow a fan up into there and let it run for a few hours?
    Last edited by Tigger1; 07-07-2020 at 04:41 PM.
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah... I knew I'd have some issues and was expecting them. But today these nails (reaching in small places) have chewed up my hands. If a Grand Design employee wants to jump in here and mail me a few bandaids that would be swell.

I'm not too sure what I want to do at this point. Second trip is tomorrow and it's a big one. Just finished pouring here again ... no leaking that I can see, but unsure what's behind this 2x4. Will look harder for that camera I guess..

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    Anyway you can set up and blow a fan up into there and let it run for a few hours?
    The opening is 2 1/2 inches - at most, nothing I have worked... but Dorthy (...wife named the RV Dorthy since it drove through whatever was left of a hurricane to get to the dealer) has been trying to self-heal for a few hours now:

Name:	20200707_180601.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	27907

I did manage to get a camera in there, and I suspect that it's been leaking for some time - longer than the three weeks (all dry except for yesterday & today) that I've had it. The insulation is definitely suspect to say the least - as well as perhaps the ceiling panel.

I'm trying to stay positive - I really, really am.. There are some areas of the GD that are fantastically constructed ... and others, like this one, which appear rushed. For instance, there are only a few staples holding the (apparently, PVC) roofing membrane to the skylight interior .. one is a complete miss (between the plywood on top and the 2x4) just dangling there, another was 50% missed with one end of the staple sticking out into the air, a third is not seated.. It's a downer, having spent so much money and seeing things like that. An extra 30 seconds could have prevented such things.

But yeah, I'm hoping it's drying out to some extent. Also hoping that the GD dealer goes the extra mile and checks that insulation/panel since I know it's been wet for awhile.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    Very sorry to hear that. Does look like it was stepped on. Can you remove the flange around the skylight on the inside? If so, you might take a hair dryer on low to dry any nooks & crannies.

As for sealant, GD uses Alpha Systems roofing and they recommend Alpha Systems 1021 self-leveling sealant in white or Camping World sells the same thing made by Alpha called Super Flex self-leveling.
    I'm not sure how accurate this is, but the manual (dated...who knows) for Transcend states the roof membrane is ... "RMA - PVC Roof" by lasalle bristol. According to Dicor, the 501 works on EPDM, TPO and PVC membranes .. certainly looks like dicor is already up there and I did mention if that is what I should be using to a few people and they all said yes - so ... I suspect the dealer is using this as well.

That said, who really knows how old this manual is - albeit Transcend isn't that old of a model.. so..

In any case, I didn't use any on the roof membrane itself .. all I had was 501 and I put that on the cheap plastic skylight (cracks and all) to fill in the gaps. Rained/poured today after doing so .. didn't see any leaks (again though, it's what I'm not seeing that has me worried).

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The opening is 2 1/2 inches - at most, nothing I have worked... but Dorthy (...wife named the RV Dorthy since it drove through whatever was left of a hurricane to get to the dealer) has been trying to self-heal for a few hours now:

Name:	20200707_180601.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	27907

I did manage to get a camera in there, and I suspect that it's been leaking for some time - longer than the three weeks (all dry except for yesterday & today) that I've had it. The insulation is definitely suspect to say the least - as well as perhaps the ceiling panel.

I'm trying to stay positive - I really, really am.. There are some areas of the GD that are fantastically constructed ... and others, like this one, which appear rushed. For instance, there are only a few staples holding the (apparently, PVC) roofing membrane to the skylight interior .. one is a complete miss (between the plywood on top and the 2x4) just dangling there, another was 50% missed with one end of the staple sticking out into the air, a third is not seated.. It's a downer, having spent so much money and seeing things like that. An extra 30 seconds could have prevented such things.

But yeah, I'm hoping it's drying out to some extent. Also hoping that the GD dealer goes the extra mile and checks that insulation/panel since I know it's been wet for awhile.
    I feel your pain. Very sorry this happened on a new trailer. I can’t tell you have many times I’ve seen others with roof leaks in the Forest River World. It happens to all of them, no matter the price.

Hopefully your dealer will work with you to get it right. I think you did the right thing by patching it as soon as possible. Let it air out as much as you can, see if you can get some air movement up in there if you have a self standing fan you can point upward into the opening. If no more water is coming in that’s good news.
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure how accurate this is, but the manual (dated...who knows) for Transcend states the roof membrane is ... "RMA - PVC Roof" by lasalle bristol. According to Dicor, the 501 works on EPDM, TPO and PVC membranes .. certainly looks like dicor is already up there and I did mention if that is what I should be using to a few people and they all said yes - so ... I suspect the dealer is using this as well.

That said, who really knows how old this manual is - albeit Transcend isn't that old of a model.. so..

In any case, I didn't use any on the roof membrane itself .. all I had was 501 and I put that on the cheap plastic skylight (cracks and all) to fill in the gaps. Rained/poured today after doing so .. didn't see any leaks (again though, it's what I'm not seeing that has me worried).
    You may be right on that. I was making an assumption you had an Imagine. Best to clarify with your dealer or email GD Customer Service.
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast