User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You want to get a dehumidifier running ASAP. Fiberglass insulation can take a little wetting. The skylight will be a complete replacement so I wouldn't keep getting carried away with tube sealant because it just makes the R&R work more risky. Gorilla tape is your friend here. Inside and out over the cracks. Trust me here as I have had hail blow clean through the outer and inner domes! Our last camper took a pounding from a tornadic cell and I had Niagara Falls through the skylight and was able to dry out everything with a dehumidifier and installed a much higher quality skylight.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Sadly it has become the norm to expect such issues with new units.

It is a step up from my previous trailer, which was used - from the same dealer. Came loaded with mice droppings, leaked from both slides, but the skylight was great.

Regarding the leak, I certainly hope the leak has been correctly identified and repaired for at-least short term before I can get it in to have it fully repaired. I'm keeping an eye on it. I should have perhaps explained my picture a bit ... so I didn't have a fan that would do justice - but, there is a vent in the RV right next to the skylight. Garbage bag an some painters tape later, and it's blowing right in one side and coming out the other (about 5+ hours now and still going). Eventually i'll need to piece her back together, hoping enough air got in there.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You nailed it, "much higher quality skylight". I couldn't agree more. A few hours ago it was pouring here again, as I was standing out there looking up to see if it would leak again (not that I saw....) - for a moment I had to step back because I was pretty sure the sky was going to open up with hail, and I just knew if it did, that plastic would shatter. Luckily it was just a lot of heavy rain.

I don't have a dehumidifier, but I have been directing one of the RV A/C vents (it's been 80s-90s for the last two weeks) directly into that area that was wet. I'm hoping that helped with something. I also know that I'm pretty "lucky" (feels downright dirty saying that) to have caught this when I did.

Hand is scratched to the bone from the nails in that small hole (trying to feel around) - but whatever the insulation is, that isn't any kind of fiberglass - at-least not any kind I have ever worked with.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    You want to get a dehumidifier running ASAP. Fiberglass insulation can take a little wetting. The skylight will be a complete replacement so I wouldn't keep getting carried away with tube sealant because it just makes the R&R work more risky. Gorilla tape is your friend here. Inside and out over the cracks. Trust me here as I have had hail blow clean through the outer and inner domes! Our last camper took a pounding from a tornadic cell and I had Niagara Falls through the skylight and was able to dry out everything with a dehumidifier and installed a much higher quality skylight.
    I stand corrected, I think that is fiberglass.

I'm still bleeding from the nails and staples - but now I'm starting to feel the "I've been playing with fiberglass for the last 3 hours" feeling in my hands.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    I feel your pain. Very sorry this happened on a new trailer. I can’t tell you have many times I’ve seen others with roof leaks in the Forest River World. It happens to all of them, no matter the price.

Hopefully your dealer will work with you to get it right. I think you did the right thing by patching it as soon as possible. Let it air out as much as you can, see if you can get some air movement up in there if you have a self standing fan you can point upward into the opening. If no more water is coming in that’s good news.
    In 2012 I purchased a Tiffin Phaeton diesel pusher Motor Home at over $250K it had a leak that nobody could find. It can happen to any rig. I called Tiffin and they sent me to a dealer in Ct, I was living in NY then, they had a machine that pressurized the coach. They found the leak and I never had another leak problem.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12