Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5th Wheel Lube Plate

Guys/Gals

Anyone using the lube plate when using the 90 degree turn pin with wedge?

Also, what is the tool needed to take the battery box lid off with?

Thanks.
    Gary and Kelly Slone
    Louisville, Kentucky
    18 Chev. 2500 Gas 6.0
    2020 295RL Reflection, Curt A16 Hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use one of the plastic plate instead of grease, i like it, not sure what you are talking about the 90 degree turn pin. i turn sharp forward and backward with the lube plate and haven't had any issues except it falls off sometimes when hooking up. As far as taking the top off the battery box, no tools i am aware of, a screw driver or little bar would work i guess, i just push in the tabs. this is of course if you are referring to the plastic battery box. i changed mine from the original. if it is the original, it may have the square head so pick your self up a set of square bits. you can usually get a whole set with phillips, standard, torx and square. Hope this helps
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary,

I have always used the lube plate with no problems. However there was a youtube video of a guy hooking up a new Momentum and it fell off of the hitch and really damaged the truck, king pin and underside of the 5th wheel. After a complete investigation by the insurance and the dealership it was determined that the lube plate on his new hitch caused the king pin not to connect to the king pin with a lube plate. Here's the first and second links:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSO6gZ_r7U8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XPcug7I09k

I didn't note what type of hitch that they switched to, but it is a very interesting video.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AustexGP View Post
    Gary,

I have always used the lube plate with no problems. However there was a youtube video of a guy hooking up a new Momentum and it fell off of the hitch and really damaged the truck, king pin and underside of the 5th wheel. After a complete investigation by the insurance and the dealership it was determined that the lube plate on his new hitch caused the king pin not to connect to the king pin with a lube plate. Here's the first and second links:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSO6gZ_r7U8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XPcug7I09k

I didn't note what type of hitch that they switched to, but it is a very interesting video.
    He didn't need a lube plate, there was already one (orange) mounted to the hitch capture plate. The guy showing him the hitch should have pointed that out. The second lube plate probably caused him to "high pin" and the king pin didn't lock in the jaws properly. Also, when he hitched, it looked like he may have been too high to hitch. Whenever I hitch, I always set the pin box low and let it ride up the capture plate. Then I know I'm not high pinned.
    @GaryS57 If you're talking about the turning point hitch with the wedge, you don't need a lube plate because the pivot point for the 5'er is behind the hitch. Your pin box does not pivot on the capture plate. A lube plate might even interfere with the wedge and cause issues.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John

That is what I was thinking after looking at the setup - just wanted some seasoned pro to confirm my thinking. And yes I am talking about the Lippert 90 degree pin with wedge.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryS57 View Post
    John

That is what I was thinking after looking at the setup - just wanted some seasoned pro to confirm my thinking. And yes I am talking about the Lippert 90 degree pin with wedge.
    Thanks
    Gary,

I think what you're referring to is the Turning Point kingpin box used on the 150 series fifth wheels. It would be helpful if you would create a signature with the model and year of your RV so people don't have to guess or ask you for that information when you ask questions.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tool for the battery box lid is whatever type screw the dealership used to secure it. They just get screwed together with whatever screws. Some use tech screws, some use hex head, and some are square drive.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks John, I took your advice.

Happy Trails.
    Gary and Kelly Slone
    Louisville, Kentucky
    18 Chev. 2500 Gas 6.0
    2020 295RL Reflection, Curt A16 Hitch

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I remember correctly the lube plate is not to be used with a Turning Point ... later Frank
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryS57 View Post
    Guys/Gals

Anyone using the lube plate when using the 90 degree turn pin with wedge?

Also, what is the tool needed to take the battery box lid off with?

Thanks.
    Gary - do not use a lube plate when using the turning point set up. The wedge binds against the hitch and having the lube plate could cause adverse side pressure and let it ride up on the hitch causing damage. I believe it states this in the turning point manual.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast