1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice, I believe I'm well on my way to being a "turning point" pin expert!
    Gary and Kelly Slone
    Louisville, Kentucky
    18 Chev. 2500 Gas 6.0
    2020 295RL Reflection, Curt A16 Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the turning point hitch and use a lube plate in conjunction with a Curt A16 hitch, it make the hitch quieter and I hitching is easier. Curt recommended with there wedge and the turning point hitch. I have been using this for two of the three years I have had the 230RL. One note, you will have to cut out the wedge on the lube plate

See my signature for all my specs

Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark, what did you use to cut the plate?
    I like that ideal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryS57 View Post
    Mark, what did you use to cut the plate?
    I like that ideal.
    I used a small tooth hole saw, basically a hack saw blade with a handle

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LP.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	27988
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRizRV View Post
    I used a small tooth hole saw, basically a hack saw blade with a handle

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LP.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	27988
    Mark
    Your photo concerns me. The wear pattern on the wedge indicates it is only partially engaged with the hitch face. Looks like a minimal side wear area. While you hitch manufacture may recommend or allow the use of the lube plate, for some hitches like my Titan they are prohibited due to hitching tolerances. In my case a lube plate would lead to a high pin situation where the jaws would not lock around the king pin shank. If I may suggest, send you photo to Lippert and get them to comment. I don't think you have enough side bearing area engaged on the wedge. I could be wrong.

Just trying to be safe here and prevent someone from dropping their trailer on their truck.

Hope you have a great weekend
    Keith
    Lipper'ts turning point manual

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0001724.pdf

ON edit - that looks like a great king pin lock. May I ask where you got it?
    Thanks
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "If I remember correctly the lube plate is not to be used with a Turning Point"

x2

When I picked up my 295RL i had a lube plate ready to put on. I was told emphatically not to use it, as there is already a lube plate installed where the "Turning Point" pivots.

I use a little grease where the base plate comes in contact with the fifth wheel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Mark
    Your photo concerns me. Thelo wear pattern on the wedge indicates it is only partially engaged with the hitch face. Looks like a minimal side wear area. While you hitch manufacture may recommend or allow the use of the lube plate, for some hitches like my Titan they are prohibited due to hitching tolerances. In my case a lube plate would lead to a high pin situation where the jaws would not lock around the king pin shank. If I may suggest, send you photo to Lippert and get them to comment. I don't think you have enough side bearing area engaged on the wedge. I could be wrong.

Just trying to be safe here and prevent someone from dropping their trailer on their truck.

Keith

Thanks
    Thanks I will check with Lippert.

One thing I did notice about the curt wedge compared to the lippert wedge, the curt wedge is 1" thick where the lippert wedge is only 3/4 " in thick, so with the lube plate I am where I would be with the lippert without a lube plate. Also I'm not even close to high pinning.

Also I will send the link to the pin lock

Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Mark
    Your photo concerns me. The wear pattern on the wedge indicates it is only partially engaged with the hitch face. Looks like a minimal side wear area. While you hitch manufacture may recommend or allow the use of the lube plate, for some hitches like my Titan they are prohibited due to hitching tolerances. In my case a lube plate would lead to a high pin situation where the jaws would not lock around the king pin shank. If I may suggest, send you photo to Lippert and get them to comment. I don't think you have enough side bearing area engaged on the wedge. I could be wrong.

Keith

Thanks
    King pin lock
    https://www.etrailer.com/King-Pin-Lo...yABEgK5p_D_BwE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pin lock is a good idea - just ordered mine. You should call Etrailer and get a commission. Be safe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast