User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best vehicle for pulling 30-33' trailer

Hello,
    We are close to retirement and are currently looking to replace a very old car with the truck we plan to use to pull any trailer/5th wheel we end up with. We hope to pull something between 30-32'. We are trying to decide between the GMC 2020 2500HD Diesel SierraSLT and the 2020 Silverado 2500 Diesel. Would welcome anyone who has or is driving one of these opinion of which would be the best purchase. Thanks - hopefully a grand design owner in the next six months. e've been told the RAM seems to end up with transmission problems so staying away from it.
    Thanks
    SandyT

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyt View Post
    Hello,
    We are close to retirement and are currently looking to replace a very old car with the truck we plan to use to pull any trailer/5th wheel we end up with. We hope to pull something between 30-32'. We are trying to decide between the GMC 2020 2500HD Diesel SierraSLT and the 2020 Silverado 2500 Diesel. Would welcome anyone who has or is driving one of these opinion of which would be the best purchase. Thanks - hopefully a grand design owner in the next six months. e've been told the RAM seems to end up with transmission problems so staying away from it.
    Thanks
    SandyT
    Whichever truck you end up with, I'd say go for a 3500 series truck. The added cost is minimal and you won't have to worry about ever being overweight should you upgrade the trailer later on.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As alluded to by @TheLexx , bypass the 3/4-ton diesel no matter what brand you get. Diesel drive trains are heavy and eat up the payload capacity of a 3/4-ton truck. You're better off paying a little more and getting at least a single rear wheel 1-ton truck. You should be OK with SRW for anything under 14,000 lbs. GVWR in terms of an RV.

As for brands, there are as many opinions as there are truck owners. Personally, I think all three US manufacturers make a good diesel motor these days (GM's DuraMax, the Cummins in the Rams, and Ford's PowerStroke). I've owned a DuraMax and loved it and I'm happy with the PowerStroke in our current truck. My preference of transmissions would be 1) the Allison in the GMs, 2) the Ford HD transmission, and 3) the Aisin in the Rams. Ram trucks had a history of rust problems - you might want to do some research to see if they've ironed that out.

A long bed truck will eliminate the need for a sliding hitch for a fifth wheel. Other than that, it's all about payload and what you like.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll third the others with going right to a 350/3500 if going diesel. Will definitely give you plenty if options in your TT/5er search. My history is long with GM and inching on a decade with RAM. I currently own a pair of RAMs in fact. Great strides have been taken by RAM to mitigate rust, but truthfully their historic rust problems were not different than GM or Ford. What made them different is it happened in more noticeable locations- wheel arches. GM notoriously was cab corners then the rockers. I'll tread lightly because of all the diehard Ford owners here, but they know where there trucks are prone to rust too. My point is, all of them have this potential to happen but due diligence and some common sense mitigate it. For instance, washing the undercarriage after traveling brined/salted roads. Good luck with your decision and realizing your retirement dreams!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @sandyt

Ditto on the one ton option. Also be sure it is equipped with a trailer/5th wheel tow prep package. I also recommend a rear sway bar for the single rear wheel. To get it in a Ford you need to order the camper package. Not sure about Dodge of Chevy.

Also as you will be driving a lot make sure the seats are comfortable and truck cab layout fits you. This is critical as a bad fit will take the fun out of driving. You may need to move up a few trim levels no matter what brand to get the better seating. Be sure to go on an extended test drive (rough roads, interstate, city) so you have a good feel for the mirrors and dash view. I also recommend the long bed. Make sure you also have the max payload package . Its separate from the tow p[rep package in most cases. Also be sure the truck has a towing gear ratio 3:55 to 4:10 or higher if you at the upper limit close to 14K.

Now if there is any chance of your going over the 32 feet or 14K trailer then get a dually.

What would I get for a 32' 5th wheel - 2020 F350 Lariat SC long bed SRW with the new generation 6.7 and 10 speed 3:55 rear end, 14400 GVW with a few goodie options thrown in. GM uses the same 10 speed as it was a joint venture. Top 3 gears are OD.

Last suggestion - when shopping be sure the sales person knows trucks and towing (most don't) - in most cases I talk to the sales manager, fleet manager if they have one, first. Also see if they will provide the rapid specifications that they (dealer) orders from. It is very detailed as to what is included in all option packages, or what may be required extra.

Best wishes on your search.

BTW - when shopping trailers, be sure to look at the cargo carrying capacity. I recommend having at least 2K or more.

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyt View Post
    Hello,
    Thanks
    SandyT
    Lot's of good thoughts From my experience, my only regret was not getting a 3500 series as even with a gas truck and my relatively light (11,000 GVW) trailer @ 30'11" I can max out my payload if not careful. Diesel drops the pay load 800 lbs or so. That said the gas 6.0 liter is more than adequate and I suspect the 6.6 gas engine is a big improvement, diesel fans not withstanding. The 2020 GMC are a big leap in GVW and it might be enough to stay with a 2500 but why limit yourself for the price difference. Brand is as much personal preference as anything. Good luck, run the numbers and make your best decision and welcome to the forum.
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AS OTHERS STATED, SKIP THE 3/4 ton [F250, 2500 etc) and get a 1 ton (F350, 3500 etc)
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've heard it from others, but I'll chime in and provide another voice here. 250/2500 class trucks, just skip them. The only reason these trucks even exist is to beat registration. For example, in my area, a 250 vs 450, the 250 is about 1/2 the property tax (which is 1000's per year, so it's a big number!). If you don't live in an area like mine (and very few are anymore), there's no reason at all for a 250 to even exist. Yes, I know, they sell 1000's of them, which is why they keep making them, but a 250 is basically, at least in Ford, just a de-rated 350. If you don't "need" the derate for tax purposes, there's simply no reason to even consider them.

The one other thing I'll throw in, if it works for you, just go dually now. No, you don't need it for what you're looking to tow, but yes, it will tow what you're looking to tow more easily and more safely than a single rear wheel truck will. If there's no real "reason" you can't live with a dually, just do it now and save yourself the upgrade later. If you live in a city, or spend a lot of time in a city with your truck, then maybe not, but if a dually "works" for you in most of the situations you'd encounter day to day, I'd just do it and be done with the "truck thing".

I tow a 7K landscape trailer with my 450 sometimes, it tows it so well you actually could forget it's back there. My 150 towed it fine, my 250 towed it great, the 450 tows it even better. That's my way of saying, even if you don't NEED more truck, you still benefit from it in comfort and safety and you won'd need to upgrade your truck in the future should get a bigger trailer.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought the 2020 GMC 2500HD Denali. Replaces my 2019 GMC 2500HD. The new 10 speed transmission makes it feel like my 303RLS Reflection 5th wheel isn’t even behind me. The truck only drops 2” (measured at rear bumper) when the trailer is connected. (dropped 4” on 2019 2500HD). This truck is a great improvement over the 2019 which I really liked. There is lots of cameras to show you just about anything. Quiet, smooth, comfortable and powerful and very easy to operate and use best describes this new GMC. Buy one of these and you won’t regret it. I certainly don’t!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should have mentioned it’s a Duramax diesel. I don’t see a need for a 3500. In our area we pay more for licensing fees for higher load capacity trucks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast