Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulCalvin View Post
    I did get the salesman to check and he said the trailer was built to take the 16 inch wheels.
    Paul, I hate to be such a negative person but I wouldn't trust what a salesman says for anything, not anything! I would contact Grand Design direct and provide them your VIN number and see what they say. I know you don't have your trailer yet but the dealership should still be able to provide your PIN at this point. If you've already completed the paperwork it should be on your bill of sale too.

As far as 15" versus 16" in general goes, I made the move because I take many long trips, in out of the way places. 15" ST tires can be very hard to come by out in the sticks. I wasn't looking for higher speed rated tires as I drive under 60 mph always. I do like the fact that theoretically 16" tires should run a bit cooler than 15's which in turn should help reduce the potential for blow outs. And, I also believe that you can find much better quality tires in the 16" sizing than 15's. Many trailer salesmen will tell you that you should not run LT tires on trailers. There are videos on line of "tire experts" explaining why, but I'm not drinking that kool-aide. On the other hand, many thousands of RVers are driving millions of miles every year on ST tires without catastrophic failures. It is clear to me, frequently many of the online forums, that there may be a bit of a mass hysteria by forum regulars about ST (China) tire failures. I ran my Tow King OEM 15" tires for 2 years and thousands of miles before I upgraded to 16's and never had a single issues with them. As a matter of fact I sold them on the rims to another trailer guy who is still running with them today.

Anyway, good luck and I will be eager to hear how things go for you. As I said on the other forum, no matter what, you will absolutely love your new Grand Design!
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hey Paul, I'm sure you read this on the other forum:

When I bought my 303 RLS I was to told tha 16" wheels would fit and exchanged the 16" wheels and 235/80 16 tires from my old 5th wheel. There is not enough vertical clearance and one of the left side (whch carries 600lb more weight empty and contains most of the storage) tires has made contact with the trailer but done only cosmetic damage so far. I am now looking at ways to get the clearence without losing the correct tract feature. Some people have gone to a 225/75 LT tire which has a 1.5" smaller diameter.

That speaks directly to my point of not believing what a salesman tells you. This owner was told they would fit! Man would I be pissed.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul, I hate to be such a negative person but I wouldn't trust what a salesman says for anything, not anything! I would contact Grand Design direct and provide them your VIN number and see what they say."

Just found out from GD via email my trailer will not take the 16's. Guess I am stuck with the 15's. This is unusual becuz I thot all recent models were set up fro the 16's.
    Thanks for your advice, Poppy.

So after calling GD again and checking the date of manufacture to be June 2014, I am told it will take the 16's. They need to get the story strait. Eh?
    Last edited by PaulCalvin; 02-04-2015 at 08:24 AM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi PaulCalvin,

Have you seen a (very long) closed thread on this topic ?
    http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...p-337RLS/page3
    In post #26, there is a link to spacer blocks that I think would regain the jounce clearance for 16" tires.
    Also note Poppy's recent advice that these spacers might not be recommended by some.
    A long read, but this entire thread will give you a lot of insight into fixes discussed so far.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulCalvin View Post
    So after calling GD again and checking the date of manufacture to be June 2014, I am told it will take the 16's. They need to get the story strait. Eh?
    Once you get the trailer get good measurements before you fork out any money for the upgrade.

Here's hoping this works out great for you. Don't forget to report back!
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi PaulCalvin,

I would be interested in measurements from your June 14 build that will allow 16" wheels.
    Ours is built in late May 14 . . . and I can't see any way that 2" larger OD tires will fit without suspension mods.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi PaulCalvin,

I would be interested in measurements from your June 14 build that will allow 16" wheels.
    Ours is built in late May 14 . . . and I can't see any way that 2" larger OD tires will fit without suspension mods.

Rob
    When I get the trailer home and that may well be in March, will certainly do the measurements and get back to you. FWIW the service guy at GD told me that the cutoff date of mfg was April 2014, so after that it should be good for the 16's.
    But you never know.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our Reflection 303RLS built 05/23/14 and we have a trailer loaded tire clearance of 3" on the curb side and less than this on the street side.
    These pictures are with slides out, so probably making the pantry/fridge street side look worse than it actually is while towing.
    There are no witness marks of contact with the original 15" wheels and tires . . . but 16" wheels and tires would have a radius of at least 1" greater than shown and would be well into the "loaded 3" design clearance" that GD has referenced elsewhere in these discussions.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Left Side Tire Clearance.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	1375 Street Side
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Right Side Tire Clearance.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	1376 Curb side
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Cate and Rob, the pics appear those are the original 15 inch wheels and westlake tires?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct on original wheels and Westlake tires.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast