Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AUH with 31MB and 2019 F250 6.5' bed

Will be taking delivery of a new 31MB. We had Andersen hitch with our TT and I really enjoy their technologies. So, naturally, I would like to use the AUH. But, I keep reading issues with turning radius (i.e. the 5er cap hitting the truck). How big of a problem is this and at what degree of turn would this be a problem?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No matter what hitch you have, there is an innocent looking campsite with just the right combination of slopes somewhere that will put your trailer into the truck. So everything with a 5th wheel hitch is about getting as much clearance as you can.

I pull a 303RLS with an AUH in my 14 F250 with the 6-3/4’ bed. That 3.5” inches is a lot when it comes to cab clearance!

I can turn 90 degrees on flat ground. I have the AUH kingpin adapter with the hole to the rear because my tightest clearance was the bottom of the pin box to the tailgate and bed rails when the truck was sitting higher than the trailer or when backing over a small hump.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We pulled a Reflection 337RLS with a 6'6" bed CC truck and an AUH for about 13,000 miles. The front cap on the Reflections is well-designed and the Reflections aren't as wide as the Solitudes and Momentums. I couldn't make 90 degrees - but who wants to? There were only two or three times in those 13,000 miles that I had to really keep an eye on the cab clearance.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the AUH on our 28BH in a 2500HD, and also in an F350. Like any fixed hitch in a short bed, you run the risk of hitting the cap on the cab. There will be limitations, and those rules of limitations change when you are are not on flat pavement. There are ways to minimize the changes of contact with the AUH, but those won't eliminate completely. You can turn the ball cup forward of the pin to gain a few more inches. You need to be careful though, as in some vehicles it can put the wings of the pin into he side-rails of the truck on a turn. Depending on the goose-ball brand, you can also get an offsetting gooseball (B&W makes one for their turn-over ball) that pushes the ball back a few inches.

In the 2500HD with the B&W turn-over ball and our 28BH with ball forward of the pin, I was able to get fairly close to 80ish on flat ground. I was however still aware that if I was not on flat pavement, all the rules change and thus was always on my game in tight situations. With the F350, I had more payload, so I ended up with a Demco autoslide - didn't have to think about anything - it just did what it was supposed to do.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brother Bluto, I'm curious as to why you're using the B&W 25K hitch with the F450 instead of the AUH. My F450 came with the "factory" 27.5k Ford/Reese hitch and it's a PITA because the bloody thing is so heavy. I want my bed back. I've been thinking of going to the AUH. Any reason not to with my truck?

Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto View Post
    I've used the AUH on our 28BH in a 2500HD, and also in an F350. Like any fixed hitch in a short bed, you run the risk of hitting the cap on the cab. There will be limitations, and those rules of limitations change when you are are not on flat pavement. There are ways to minimize the changes of contact with the AUH, but those won't eliminate completely. You can turn the ball cup forward of the pin to gain a few more inches. You need to be careful though, as in some vehicles it can put the wings of the pin into he side-rails of the truck on a turn. Depending on the goose-ball brand, you can also get an offsetting gooseball (B&W makes one for their turn-over ball) that pushes the ball back a few inches.

In the 2500HD with the B&W turn-over ball and our 28BH with ball forward of the pin, I was able to get fairly close to 80ish on flat ground. I was however still aware that if I was not on flat pavement, all the rules change and thus was always on my game in tight situations. With the F350, I had more payload, so I ended up with a Demco autoslide - didn't have to think about anything - it just did what it was supposed to do.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Brother Bluto, I'm curious as to why you're using the B&W 25K hitch with the F450 instead of the AUH. My F450 came with the "factory" 27.5k Ford/Reese hitch and it's a PITA because the bloody thing is so heavy. I want my bed back. I've been thinking of going to the AUH. Any reason not to with my truck?
    I liked the AUH. It was quiet and very easy to get in and out. I still wholeheartedly recommend the AUH and think it is a great hitch and fills a niche. There were a few things however that I didn't like. Specifically with the height of the new Fords... I had to get my 28BH on a very steep angle to get on and off hitch. The suspension would creek and groan (but not sure if truly any damage to be done). The 15 2500HD didn't seem to have that issue as it was significantly lower than the 17 F350 Platinum (w/20in wheels). The other issue for me was that at the time... my dealer couldn't accept it with the AUH ball receiver on. I would have to take that off any time I took it in (was in several times during the warranty period).

After the first season with the 17 F350 CCSB, and given the extra payload... I decided to jump to the Demco autoslide. It's built like a tank and enjoyed not having to think about it. That autoslider even saved me once - after we checked in at our favorite resort here in TN... either I or my 4yo son hit the tailgate button on the FOB in my pocket (bad design IMO, and I'll blame it on my son lol). I think you can image what happens when the tailgate is down and you are driving through turns and backing into a spot on on a tight turn. Luckily the autoslide did its thing and I ended up with only a small hole on one side of the belly door that didn't go all the way through, and a dimple on the other. Some stickers now reside on those spots. :-) . I will also say, that first year with the autoslide we did an overnight spot on a lake in NC and for that specific situation there wouldn't have been any way to get off hitch if I still had the AUH. The loop was going up a hill, had to back downhill on a turn to our spot which was only flat for the length of the RV (so truck was nosed uphill when trailer was on flat ground). With the right cribbing & leg extension, I was able to come off hitch and literally had to retract fully to get back to level. With an AUH, there wouldn't have been enough extension, and retraction to get off hitch and come back to level in that one spot.

As far as the fixed B&W goes on my 19 F450 - I do like the two piece design of the B&W - I can get mine out by myself within 5min. I will likely need my son's help though in a few years. :-)
    Last edited by Brother_Bluto; 07-12-2020 at 04:51 PM.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You make a good point about the height of these new trucks and the potential issue hitching and unhitching with the AUH. That's one reason I use the Andersen buckets. It makes it very easy to adjust the height and accommodate for uneven ground. I also carry 2x4's to place under the buckets if the ground is really out of level.

I suppose something like the Reese Goosebox (generation 2 has been released), would solve that issue. It also has the added benefit of allowing one to just use a single ball in the bed, which makes it really easy to remove for complete access to the bed when not towing.

https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...tml?etam=a0001

Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto View Post
    I liked the AUH. It was quiet and very easy to get in and out. I still wholeheartedly recommend the AUH and think it is a great hitch and fills a niche. There were a few things however that I didn't like. Specifically with the height of the new Fords... I had to get my 28BH on a very steep angle to get on and off hitch. The suspension would creek and groan (but not sure if truly any damage to be done). The 15 2500HD didn't seem to have that issue as it was significantly lower than the 17 F350 Platinum (w/20in wheels). The other issue for me was that at the time... my dealer couldn't accept it with the AUH ball receiver on. I would have to take that off any time I took it in (was in several times during the warranty period).

After the first season with the 17 F350 CCSB, and given the extra payload... I decided to jump to the Demco autoslide. It's built like a tank and enjoyed not having to think about it. That autoslider even saved me once - after we checked in at our favorite resort here in TN... either I or my 4yo son hit the tailgate button on the FOB in my pocket (bad design IMO, and I'll blame it on my son lol). I think you can image what happens when the tailgate is down and you are driving through turns and backing into a spot on on a tight turn. Luckily the autoslide did its thing and I ended up with only a small hole on one side of the belly door that didn't go all the way through, and a dimple on the other. Some stickers now reside on those spots. :-) . I will also say, that first year with the autoslide we did an overnight spot on a lake in NC and for that specific situation there wouldn't have been any way to get off hitch if I still had the AUH. The loop was going up a hill, had to back downhill on a turn to our spot which was only flat for the length of the RV (so truck was nosed uphill when trailer was on flat ground). With the right cribbing & leg extension, I was able to come off hitch and literally had to retract fully to get back to level. With an AUH, there wouldn't have been enough extension, and retraction to get off hitch and come back to level in that one spot.

As far as the fixed B&W goes on my 19 F450 - I do like the two piece design of the B&W - I can get mine out by myself within 5min. I will likely need my son's help though in a few years. :-)
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've run both the AUH and Goosebox 2nd Gen on a 2020 31MB behind a 2019 F350 CCSB. My personal preference is the Goosebox. Don't get me wrong, loved the AUH but my dealer made me remove it for service each time and I really wanted to add a box to the bed that interfered with the AUH, plus I have another goose neck trailer that I use..

Both gave me ~7" in bedrail clearance
    Both gave me 75-80 degrees in turning radius
    Both offer an amazing ride.

I THINK the Goosebox does a better job but thats probably more me justifying the $1,300 in extra expense!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2019 F350 CC SW
    Reese Goosebox

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtrip31MB View Post
    I've run both the AUH and Goosebox 2nd Gen on a 2020 31MB behind a 2019 F350 CCSB. My personal preference is the Goosebox. Don't get me wrong, loved the AUH but my dealer made me remove it for service each time and I really wanted to add a box to the bed that interfered with the AUH, plus I have another goose neck trailer that I use..

I THINK the Goosebox does a better job but thats probably more me justifying the $1,300 in extra expense!
    With the Goosebox did you use an offset gooseneck ball or the standard OEM ball? If you used the standard ball did you ever have cab clearance issues?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtrip31MB View Post

Are you using the OEM gooseneck connection or do you have a B&W with a 4" offset ball?
    2024 Ford F350 CCSB Lariat 7.3 4.30
    Sold- 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
    Sold - 2020 Ford F350 Tremor 7.3 4.30
    Sold - 2020 GD Reflection 303RLS, 2019 GD Imagine 2250 RK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast