User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

303 RLS Brakes and Bearing re-pack

Looking for your experienced thoughts on trailer brakes and axle bearing re-pack. Have a service appointment with Lazy Days RV Service for Monday and just looking to see if the $495.00 for pulling wheels and brakes and packing the bearings is a good move. I have no brake problems now and want to keep it that way. I don't have a location where I can do the work, otherwise I would.
    The trailer is new as of March 2019. Immediately put on 6,000+ miles on trip to west coast and back to Texas. Recently, on a short 500 mile trip, I had a panic stop which did lock the brakes on the trailer, but we made the stop with no collision.
    Questions: How many miles do you normally get on trailer brakes? I don't drive hard and make hard stops as general rule, just normal towing.
    How many miles between re-pack of the axle bearings?
    I know this is short notice as I am to take it in either tomorrow or Saturday for the appointment on Monday.
    Thanks in advance for any insight!
    2019 303 RLS Reflection 5er (nickname - Coyote)
    2019 F250 Lariat FX4 CC SRW 160" WB, (nickname - Silverback) 6.7L diesel, 3.55 gears, 10K GVWR, 20" wheels, Tow Package, B&W Champion Slider
    Dennis, Judy, and Shelby (Lab-Rhodesian Ridgeback)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not so much the brakes as cleaning, inspecting, and repacking the bearings. Depending on who you listen to, the bearings should be done every one to two years and/or every 12,000 - 24,000 miles. While the hubs are off is a convenient time to inspect the brakes.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    It's not so much the brakes as cleaning, inspecting, and repacking the bearings. Depending on who you listen to, the bearings should be done every one to two years and/or every 12,000 - 24,000 miles. While the hubs are off is a convenient time to inspect the brakes.

Rob
    Thanks, Rob. I was thinking the same way. My main thought was to get the bearings repacked properly as we all know that might not have been done completely by the manufacture as they rush to get axles to the trailer manufactures.
    Enjoy your travels and thanks for the prompt response.
    2019 F250 Lariat FX4 CC SRW 160" WB, (nickname - Silverback) 6.7L diesel, 3.55 gears, 10K GVWR, 20" wheels, Tow Package, B&W Champion Slider

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May be to late at this point but if find a trailer shop, as opposed to an RV trailer shop, I would bet it would be a lot cheaper and likely better work.
    On another note it’s nice to hear you were able to lock up your trailer brakes when needed. Ours never would no matter how adjusted, ended up switching to electric over hydraulic discs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteHauler View Post
    Looking for your experienced thoughts on trailer brakes and axle bearing re-pack. Have a service appointment with Lazy Days RV Service for Monday and just looking to see if the $495.00 for pulling wheels and brakes and packing the bearings is a good move. I have no brake problems now and want to keep it that way. I don't have a location where I can do the work, otherwise I would.
    The trailer is new as of March 2019. Immediately put on 6,000+ miles on trip to west coast and back to Texas. Recently, on a short 500 mile trip, I had a panic stop which did lock the brakes on the trailer, but we made the stop with no collision.
    Questions: How many miles do you normally get on trailer brakes? I don't drive hard and make hard stops as general rule, just normal towing.
    How many miles between re-pack of the axle bearings?
    I know this is short notice as I am to take it in either tomorrow or Saturday for the appointment on Monday.
    Thanks in advance for any insight!
    Price seems a bit high as my dealer did mine for $340. I agree that an independent might be more reasonable. I had mine done just before the first year was up, in case they were to find an issue but from now on will just go with every couple of years or so. While we camp frequently, we are mostly with 150 miles of home and only put 3k a year on. When the miles start getting higher, will probably increase the frequency to yearly. When my drums were off, the brakes looked just fine and I'm not sure if I'll ever wear them out...especially at the mileage I am driving it currently. Good idea to have them serviced in the first year, just in case...
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with finding a trailer shop, I got my 2 axles repacked for $200, just make sure they readjust your brakes when they put the drums back on. I had to take it back to the shop at no additional cost. This was much better than me having to do at the storage location.
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $495 is only $105 less than the $600 labor bill I paid to get disc brakes installed on my 337RLJS at a big independent trailer shop. That job was 10 man hours.

Repacking bearings on your trailer is only a 2 hour max job or 30 minutes per wheel plus cost of 4 new grease seals.

The disc brake parts kit was $1400 from stopyourtrailer.com The difference in stoping ability is huge.
    Last edited by Jerryr; 07-09-2020 at 02:19 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I appreciate all the input. Happy camping!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    $495 is only $105 less than the $600 labor bill I paid to get disc brakes installed on my 337RLJS at a big independent trailer shop. That job was 10 man hours.

Repacking bearings on your trailer is only a 2 hour max job or 30 minutes per wheel plus cost of 4 new grease seals.

The disc brake parts kit was $1400 from stopyourtrailer.com The difference in stoping ability is huge.
    Does anyone have a part number for the grease seals?
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malco1 View Post
    Does anyone have a part number for the grease seals?
    The Timken seals for my 303rls were part number 412920 ti,Ken seals are priced but good quality.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast