Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgkeaney View Post
    Attachment 27946
    Hoping this file will attach. Here is a document that micro air wrote the day i asked the question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The doc works. Thank you. It looks like the two ac units draw too many amps. I guess it's best instead to perform the foam box mod to increase the flow out of the vents.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I have never been able to start my Coleman Mach 15 on the Champion 3500 propane even with everything shut off, including the converter. SoftstartRV solved that problem
    Reflection 297RSTS 2018
    Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    Thanks for the info everyone!

Actually what I'm seeing on the Champion web site is they are indeed a little bit different:
    Attachment 27945

Is that an add-on part that Champion sells? Got a link?

I like the size and the ability to use propane. We had a class A a while back and rarely used the generator, but sure was nice to have when we needed it. The AC was primary concern if we end up needing it for that. I know a soft start would help, just preferred not to bother with that yet if I don't need it.

Thanks!
    The are EXACTLY the same unit. They have to be differently rated because of the exclusive supply contract. I have the same with my manufacturing, but I definitely know this for fact as I just happen to have an inside source.

Moreover, I have TWO of these and a parallel kit. One will handle the A/C no problem at all even on propane. You will, however, need to be conscious of what else is drawing while on propane - fridge, batteries charging, etc. One unit definitely will not start both A/Cs, even with soft starts, and even if staggered starts while on propane.

Aside, the Champion dual-fuels are really great units! I actually use ours for home backup as well and even put an LP port out near the feed for the transfer switch to fuel them from our 1000 gallon underground propane tank.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all - I spent some time with the search function and couldn't find this specific answer. I'm considering picking up the Champion 3500 dual fuel inverter generator however I'm wondering if anyone has any real world experience starting/running a 15K A/C with this generator on propane. I know the output power is less on propane. I also know that an EZ soft start would help, but I'd prefer to not add another $300 if it's not needed. Thanks!

PS: Yes, I do have the gen prep package but not quite ready to shell out for an Onan on-board gen at this time.
    I have no problem running my 15k A/C with the Champion 3500 Generator, running on Propane.

I absolutely Love this Generator !!! I have never run it on Gasoline and I never plan to.

I originally bought this generator for use on my older camper and I had trouble getting the A/C to run on very hot days, however, I installed a Hard Start Capacitor in the A/C unit and never had another problem. Since the newer A/Cs have Hard Start capacitors built in I have not had any problems running the A/C in my 310GK.

PS: regardless of what others have said, I would still purchase the 3500 model.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not adding anything that hasn’t been said. We love our Champion 3400 Dual Fuel. We’ve had it for a year and it does everything we need.

It will start and run either AC on propane, the 15 & 13.5 BTU Dometic. Not both at the same time obviously. It will actually run either one on the ECO mode. On regular mode I’ve never had to turn off anything at the breaker. I can run the keurig, the fridge, tv, a lights,& battery charger

I’ve never tripped a breaker or had the genny shut down due to overload

Great unit for the price. Even my wife is glad we bought it and she initially thought it wasn’t necessary when I bought it

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info everyone!

Actually what I'm seeing on the Champion web site is they are indeed a little bit different:
    Attachment 27945

Is that an add-on part that Champion sells? Got a link?

I like the size and the ability to use propane. We had a class A a while back and rarely used the generator, but sure was nice to have when we needed it. The AC was primary concern if we end up needing it for that. I know a soft start would help, just preferred not to bother with that yet if I don't need it.

Thanks!
    This is from the Champion FAQs

Models 100263 and 100264 are the exact same machines. The 100-watt difference is just marketing. The 100264 which is rated at 3,500 watts is sold at Camping World and Cabela’s. It is the same as the 100263 with the less conservative rating than our typical standard at the retailers’ request.
    2018 297RSTS
    2018 GMC Denali HD

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone buying one, I suggest a couple of things:

1. As per manual, conventional oil for break-in. However, change it after the first hour of just idling and again after the overall 5 hours. You will have the most shavings and dust after the first hour. I switched to a full synthetic after break-in. This is the normal process for industrial generators.

2. Replace the dipstick with a nice magnet tipped one. There are a couple aftermarket ones around $20.

3. Get an inductive hour meter to track the usage for maintenance schedule.

4. If you parallel, change the hex nuts out on the ground studs for wingnuts.

5. If you're tall and toting by the handle, you'll scrub the rear edge because the wheels aren't tall enough for the angle. Put a piece of self-adhesive grip tape on that edge to take the scrubbing.
    Last edited by geotex1; 07-11-2020 at 06:24 AM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3. Get an inductive hour meter to track the usage for maintenance schedule. @

Ditto this... $8 on Amazon and takes 10 min to install. Only way to track maintenance schedules

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all - I spent some time with the search function and couldn't find this specific answer. I'm considering picking up the Champion 3500 dual fuel inverter generator however I'm wondering if anyone has any real world experience starting/running a 15K A/C with this generator on propane. I know the output power is less on propane. I also know that an EZ soft start would help, but I'd prefer to not add another $300 if it's not needed. Thanks!

PS: Yes, I do have the gen prep package but not quite ready to shell out for an Onan on-board gen at this time.
    I have the dual fuel 3500. And as long as the generator is not set in economy mode it will fire up the AC without a problem.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got my Champion 3500 last week and fired it up yesterday. Great little unit and no problem at all running my 15K AC. Thanks for all the comments everyone!

Does anyone have a specific Amazon link for these add-ons?

2. Replace the dipstick with a nice magnet tipped one. There are a couple aftermarket ones around $20.

3. Get an inductive hour meter to track the usage for maintenance schedule.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast