User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Champion 3500 + Propane + 15K A/C

Hi all - I spent some time with the search function and couldn't find this specific answer. I'm considering picking up the Champion 3500 dual fuel inverter generator however I'm wondering if anyone has any real world experience starting/running a 15K A/C with this generator on propane. I know the output power is less on propane. I also know that an EZ soft start would help, but I'd prefer to not add another $300 if it's not needed. Thanks!

PS: Yes, I do have the gen prep package but not quite ready to shell out for an Onan on-board gen at this time.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Champion that's rated at 3400/3060 watts that I used to run things in my trailer. https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...or/p67309.html
    It starts the A/C just fine running on propane. Full disclosure, as a precaution I have installed a Soft Start RV unit
    https://www.softstartusa.com/rvlife/?utm_source=RVLIFE
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    Hi all - I spent some time with the search function and couldn't find this specific answer. I'm considering picking up the Champion 3500 dual fuel inverter generator however I'm wondering if anyone has any real world experience starting/running a 15K A/C with this generator on propane. I know the output power is less on propane. I also know that an EZ soft start would help, but I'd prefer to not add another $300 if it's not needed. Thanks!

PS: Yes, I do have the gen prep package but not quite ready to shell out for an Onan on-board gen at this time.
    I have the Champion 3400 Dual Fuel generator which is the same unit as the 3500 that is sold by Camping World. These units are exactly the same but labeled differently for marketing reasons. I have recently installed the Soft Start unit on both of my A/C. However, before installing the Soft Starts I was able to run my 15,000 BTU Dometic Brisk II on the Champion generator when running on propane.
    2018 297RSTS
    2018 GMC Denali HD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the exact same generator and ONLY run it on propane because I dont want to deal with the carburetor. I camp at elevation and put in the high elevation jet into the champion as well. At 8700 feet, the champion is finicky starting the 15kbtu ac. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. I installed a soft start as well and haven’t had any issue since, either at elevation or at my home elevation of 5200 feet. I would think that at lower elevations, you wont have an issue but if you are in the mountains, then you might.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be fine running one AC with that generator, I can easily run one 15K Coleman with two Honda 2200's if needed. For what it's worth if you do decide to add the Onan 5500 someday, you will be very happy. Mine is a sweetheart and will easily run both my 15K Colemans at the same time on propane and I do not have the easy start kits installed.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will the Champion 3500 (or a harbor freight predator 3500), start both 15k and 13k ac unit if both of the ac units have the MicroAir Easy Starts?
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Champion 3500 + Propane + 15K A/C

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Will the Champion 3500 (or a harbor freight predator 3500), start both 15k and 13k ac unit if both of the ac units have the MicroAir Easy Starts?
    I recently (this week) had a conversation with champion customer service. In short, the answer is no. For continuous running both AC’s take 31 amps, even with the microair. The champion, on gas, highest output is 29 amps. If i can figure out how to attach the document i will.

Last edited by Rgkeaney; 07-09-2020 at 04:30 PM.
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info everyone!

I have the Champion 3400 Dual Fuel generator which is the same unit as the 3500 that is sold by Camping World. These units are exactly the same but labeled differently for marketing reasons.
    Actually what I'm seeing on the Champion web site is they are indeed a little bit different:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gen.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	27945

I camp at elevation and put in the high elevation jet into the champion as well.
    Is that an add-on part that Champion sells? Got a link?

I like the size and the ability to use propane. We had a class A a while back and rarely used the generator, but sure was nice to have when we needed it. The AC was primary concern if we end up needing it for that. I know a soft start would help, just preferred not to bother with that yet if I don't need it.

Thanks!
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgkeaney View Post
    I recently (this week) had a conversation with champion customer service. In short, the answer is no. To kick on both AC’s take 31 amps, even with the microair. The champion, on gas, highest output is 26 amps. If i can figure out how to attach the document i will.

Clarification...i had the conversation with microair. Still looking for the document.

2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgkeaney View Post
    Clarification...i had the conversation with microair. Still looking for the document.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	How much generator do I need using EasyStart.pdf 
Views:	32 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	27946
    Hoping this file will attach. Here is a document that micro air wrote the day i asked the question.

2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast