User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others said, speed depends on factors. Use good judgment!

TST TPMS. Great unit, incredible support. Buy from a fellow camper, Eric, who owns TechnoRV. Regularly runs sales, best prices anywhere.

You're clearly from where I used to live. The TA Travel Center off I-295 for a CAT scale. Pretty much always no wait. If you are vertically challenged at less than 6+ foot, bring a stick to work the call box as it's mounted at semi can level. The scale is located in the back of the facility so when you enter head straight instead of right. Go in and talk to the scale operator first and tell him or her what you are doing. You will be doing a series of weighs and the first is one price and the rest are discounted provided you're doing them within minutes of each other.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK82 View Post
    I have a Ford F350, I think it has a TPMS in the dash. I think I'll call ford and ask them what I need to get the TT linked to it and what system I should get.
    I think you'll find that the Ford TPMS is expensive compared to third-party alternatives, and of course it's tied to your Ford truck so if you replace the truck for any reason...

There are several alternatives. I spent a fair bit of time at the Tampa RV show asking questions at the booths of each of them and settled on the following company's product; I've been happy with it. Others here have chosen other products and been happy with them. Some of them work with cell phone apps, which I didn't want but which some people find convenient.

https://tsttruck.com/

I have nothing else to add to the good advice already posted above. Good luck with your choices.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually go with the flow of traffic but try to keep it under 65. I have the Ford tire monitors installed on my trailer. Only drawback to using then is the tires have to be removed from the rims to install them. I took the opportunity to have the wheels balanced.
    The truck stops on 95 in Elkton have scales you can use.
    2019 Ford F-350 Limited
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tow at 60-65 mph, rarely hitting 70 if only to get around slow traffic and get back into the slow lane then slow back to 60-65. For me, I don't care about the high speed rating on trailer tires, I wish they would never have put those high speed ratings on them. Its a stupid idea, now the uneducated thinks its ok to run 75-80 pulling a trailer. I see it a lot!

TST TPMS and Escapee's Smart Weigh as a baseline.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know there are two CAT Scales on Rt 295, one at Paulsboro and one at Carney's Point.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speed

I have some basic beginner safety questions, I've looked at the forum, and researched, but I always like to ask myself to get input in one place from many people.

Here are my questions:

What's the fastest you recommend going? Some highways allow for faster speeds but I general don't like going over 55MPH, am I paranoid?
    Where can I get my trailer/truck weighed in the Southern Jersey/DE/South East Pa area? What's your process?
    What should I be checking before every trip on the outside of the trailer truck?
    Do you recommend TT wheel air monitors? My ford truck as an option for them.

I think that's all I can think of for now. A little backstory, I've never towed before, anything, and it's just me looking up youtube and using this forum for all the help I can get as nobody in my family, or friends has towed a TT either that I can bug constantly with my questions.

Thanks!
    I try not go over 65. If a tire blows I am not sure how much less damage would occur at 65 rather than 70, but I just feel better. Besides to me the trips are supposed to be relaxing. I figure that means getting there too.
    As for checklist the one thing I have seen damaged the most is the crank up TV antennas.
    2019 F350 Lariat Super Duty 6.7L Diesel SRW 4X4 with puck system
    2016 Reflection 337 RLS
    Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in your shoes last august. 2670mk with ram 1500 and had only towed some trailers for kids marching band, nothing with this size and weight. On the way home form the dealer I went to a business development that had roads but little else and just practiced driving and backing up. I did it again in the local high school parking lot a few weeks later trying to mark where the rv was compared to the truck. There are a few good youtubes out there on things to look for when driving and backing up, tire placement, angles, ...

I can go 70 on good highways here with 70 speed limit without issue. If i get much over that like going down hill I start to feel it and just coast or tap the brake. First real drive i thought i would be following semis and realized how slow some go and had to pass them. I then realized how slow some drivers go and had to pass them including some going up hill in the mtns. In general the speed limit with 5 over works well and i stick to the slow lane except when passing. It actually is fairly easy to get a feel for it.

Worst issues I've had are back roads (not speed related), construction with barriers on both sides and I'm next to a semi which i try to avoid, and merge lanes trying to get out of a trucks way or let them go. In heavy traffic there isn't much you can do but surrender to the flow.
    Imagine 2020 2670MK,
    2021 RAM 2500

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...What's the fastest you recommend going? Some highways allow for faster speeds but I general don't like going over 55MPH, am I paranoid?
    I pulled a 38 Ft. TT for 25 years. Depending on which tow-vehicle I had at the time, I usually maxxed out about 65. But when I inherited my Grandfathers '72 Suburban with a short wheelbase and 4-wheel coil springs I could only do 'maybe' 55 due to sway (I had stirrup sway control). This sway was one of the main reasons we went to a fifth wheel. With a powerful 2006 F250 Super Duty I pulled out first 5er near 70 when possible. I was passing trucks and slow people. I spent most of my working career at 80 MPH on highways so that get there ASAP mindset was prevalent.

Then we upgraded to a 2016 Solitude 379FL...42.5 feet long, 14,000K empty, and a foot wider. I tried to pull at the same speeds. I am very embarrassed to say that because it was a very stupid mindset to have and I was taking a lot of chances (especially before I got Kodiak disc brakes!). Ultimately I didn't bend any metal, but it did overwork (not overload) my truck until I had to spend big $$$ for repairs.

Then it finally hit me...I was not running a race, I don't want to die, bend any metal, and that my diesel F250 loves to run all day at 1800 RPM in overdrive (in tow-haul) at 61 MPH. It even has enough torque to climb slight grades without kicking down.

So to finally answer your question, we travel at 61 MPH, partly to go easy on the truck, and mostly to be able to maintain positive control of the almost 70 feet and 21,000+ Lbs of equipment going down the road. If you have a larger RV, INSTALL DISC BRAKES. I wish e had done that years ago. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I never realized it before we got a really heavy trailer, but roads sometimes lean left or right for no reason. The much heavier RV will pull the truck towards the lean. All of this is much easier to control at lower speeds.

One final caveat: Driving slower means I almost NEVER have to pass anyone. They all have to pass me. I learned decades ago that when pulling a long trailer that you need a really scary, wet your pants, super-loud horn! Many people merging from the right WILL NOT look over their left shoulders until they are near the end of the merge lane. I cannot panic stop nor can I speed past them. This is when they "get the horn" as my wife puts it. Their reactions when they finally look and see all that machinery would be funny if the situation was not so dire. Sad. I was given a double Claxon horn that came from a 50's vintage semi-truck. Even that is marginal. Something more akin to a full-blown fog horn would be better.

Drive slow in the right lane. Less stress, less fuel, and just a little more time...
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some basic beginner safety questions, I've looked at the forum, and researched, but I always like to ask myself to get input in one place from many people.

Here are my questions:

What's the fastest you recommend going? Some highways allow for faster speeds but I general don't like going over 55MPH, am I paranoid?
    Where can I get my trailer/truck weighed in the Southern Jersey/DE/South East Pa area? What's your process?
    What should I be checking before every trip on the outside of the trailer truck?
    Do you recommend TT wheel air monitors? My ford truck as an option for them.

I think that's all I can think of for now. A little backstory, I've never towed before, anything, and it's just me looking up youtube and using this forum for all the help I can get as nobody in my family, or friends has towed a TT either that I can bug constantly with my questions.

Thanks!
    Related to your question on TT Wheel Air Monitors.....
    I drive a 2019 F250 Platinum SRW and love my TST 507 Series 4 Flow Thru Sensor TPMS System with Color Display. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It monitors both the tire pressure and temperature. The onboard TPMS system from Ford only monitors tire pressure. What I have learned from this forum and others, tire blowouts are caused by low pressure and high temperature. The TST system can be customized for tolerances that fit your comfort/acceptance threshold. You can also use their default if you want. While traveling the SW USA this winter, this system gave me piece of mind at a very minimal cost. I purchased mine from Amazon, but TechnoRV is another good source. https://www.technorv.com/tst-tire-pr...oring-systems/ I'm a prime member, so I liked the quick delivery. But TechnoRV has some really good installation videos.

For your trailer/truck weighing options, I've always used local CAT scales. They are in most truck stops like Pilot or EA.

For your speed question, check your tire speed rating. Never go above that. I prefer 65-70mph. My tires are rated for 75mph.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can i get a copy of your checklists as this is our maiden voyage on a 2021 22 MLE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast