User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hate to say it, but Failures so far

OK so while staying Colter Bay for the first month and still 3 to go here is what I have for failures.

As I stated before the slide out seal still needs to be fixed. GD agreed to send a mobile tech for that.

What they will not do is pay for a mobile tech to come out and fix the bed room ac unit nor the slide out trim wall paper that has wrinkles in it.

Nor will they pay for the tech to fix the one recliner that has no power. The other recliner does have power and they both use the same plug.

While I thought they stood behind their product I'm starting to wonder if they really do. I'm waiting to see what they say next. Makes no sense

to send out and pay for the tech to fix the one issue , but not let him fix the others and make me wait 3 months to go home then take it to a dealer.

HOW STUPID IS THAT? Nothing has been clear from the start except the first issue. I'll be speaking with them tomorrow and have my doubts at this point after the e-mail replies I have had so far. I hope I'm wrong and can report back some good news.
    Jim T.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard, never experienced, that GD has crews of their own rolling technicians. Why won't they send them out?
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
    I've heard, never experienced, that GD has crews of their own rolling technicians. Why won't they send them out?
    They do. Or, at least, they did. The GD mobile techs mostly followed the GD rallies around. There's only about 4-6 of them, and, when not working at rallies, they are regional. It wouldn't be unusual for GD to authorize a local mobile tech (not a GD one) to do work in the field.

Well, I was going to post a picture I have of one of the GD mobile tech trailers from our last rally, but I can't seem to get the site to post a photo.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 07-09-2020 at 09:55 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The A/C and recliner is because the expense if flipped back around on the supplier., and our resident dealer here reported that the RV industry is running our of A/C units and furniture! The tech could actually probably due the A/C direct with the manufacturer if he or she is authorized by them - this is exactly what I did with the last camper. Bet a doughnut your recliner has a bad power supply. It is the single most prolific failure point of the RV and residential versions alike! If you have Lippert furniture, I bet a well placed call would get a new power supply out to you if you can confirm that's the issue by swapping the one working one between chairs.

Just trying to help you get to happy camping!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScopesNC View Post
    Nor will they pay for the tech to fix the one recliner that has no power. The other recliner does have power and they both use the same plug.
    This is almost surely a unplugged connection in the recliner. I had the exact same issue. If I remember correctly (it’s been awhile) there are white plastic automotive type connectors that connect the motors and control. One is most likely loose or disconnected. If you pull out the recliners it’s not hard to trace the wires and find the bad connection
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being passed off to third party suppliers instead of keeping the warranty coverage in house is a big source of frustration and consternation caused by Grand Design. They choose to use these vendors and I believe should themselves route the concerns where necessary. For this reason I've had to deal with Lippert, Dometic, Dexter and now Lionshead on my own. The first three causing problems because they require an approved repair facility ( Dometic was adamant ) and then once identified, delays in getting repairs done. In the case of Dexter although I went to their recommended repair facility I had to pay up front and submit for reimbursement which took four months and a lot of squawking bypassing a disinterested warranty rep.
    By comparison Lionshead was easy as my claim was approved promptly after a phone call and a few days later sending the request with pictures. They replied that day they would send four new wheels. With the confirmation they asked I send the rest of the pictures I mistakenly forgot to attach. They would not however pay for the labor to remove the wheels, swap the tires and reinstall them on my trailer.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being passed off to the Vendor isn't always such a bad deal.

We had the Atwood Helium fridge and was handed to Dometic, in the end we were sent a new Dometic fridge out of warranty. Because it was replaced out of warranty we were responsible for install, we installed it ourselves.

Another time we were passed off to Lippert for a failed weld on the suspension hanger. Lippert sent a mobile tech to us (we could not move) and replaced the hanger on oour site.

So I think dealing with vendors isn't really such a bad thing, could work to your advantage.

Sometimes I have to wonder if when GD is contacted and possibly the customer is overly irritated and has some bad attitude inflicted to the conversation it might cause the rep to be less responsive to the issue... it isn't the right way to handle a customer for sure but human nature tends to kick back when kicked

Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not clear to me what the basic warranty is...1st year dealt with by GD followed by whatever the vendors will do after that?
    Can someone please enlighten me?

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1st year warranty is covering the majority of the coach.

The 3 year coverage is basic structure.

Anything else is supplier warranties.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK so the answer today is this.

I had to call Lippert and make arrangements for them to fix my recliner. I did and they are sending me a control module for the recliner system. I have to install it myself. They won't pay for that. WOW used the chairs on maybe 7 trips and they go down. GD was a big help. They gave me the phone number and said here ya go. Call them about it.

The AC unit. Again I had to call Coleman with a phone number from GD. GD won't pay for any repairs on it. 1 month over warranty. Coleman said they would pay for parts and repair , but want me to try and fix it myself first. Told me what to do and how to do it over the phone. I will see if what they said works. LMAO.

On the slide out wall paper that has been bad from day 1. Well looks like it is wait till I get to a deal. 3 months from now. Then I get to drive over an hour to the dealer to have it sit while they wait on the wall paper if they can not fix all the wrinkles in it. Not a show stopper , but it sure looks bad when you first walk in. EYE SORE right at the door. Ugly Mugly.

The slide out seal is the only thing they will pay for and that is only if the mobile tech has the right price for the call out. In my case I can't find but two and one doesn't answer the phone and the other wants $400 for the service call and $100 per hour after that. He won't do warranty paper work or warranty repairs. How sad is that?

I still like this trailer and nothing so far has been a show stopper. Had I just the 1 AC unit it would have been.

I have had other manufactures in the past. One was far better for support that GD. Both had their issues. Although I must say not so many at one time like this. I guess I expected a little more than I should have from GD. I could have bought from others for much less and done just as well for support IMO.

Others have had much better expenses with GD than I have I know. Just hasn't been the case for me.

Oh and to that person who made the comment about being rude or mad while on the phone with the GD service person. WRONG ASSUMPTION.

I got along just fine with Mathew. No issues, he just gave me numbers to call.

Not sure at this point but in the fall I'll be looking for our first 5th wheel. I do not think it will be from GD. To me their support has been no better than anyone else I have ever owned. They just charge more.

On a brighter note, there sure are a lot of GD campers staying at the Colter bay campgrounds this season. I have seen more GD than any other manufacture so far this season. They do have a large following for sure.
    Jim T.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast