User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    DMandSC

Question Backup Camera installation question

I really need to get a good backup camera for our 2015 ST379FL Solitude. I've seen a few posts about possible pre-wired connection ability. Is this in fact the case? If so how does it work? I'd prefer a wired camera, due to the distance required from the back of the trailer to the cab of the truck, over 50', and the limitations of wireless cameras for distance. The only concern I have with wired, is trying to figure out how to run the wiring to make it inconspicuous and protected from the elements.

I'm assuming I can tap into the wiring from the marker lights on the back of the trailer for power, but would have no idea how to run wiring for a wired system all the way from back there to the truck.

Any thoughts, suggestions, solutions???

David

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed a MasterLock back up camera on my 385th and its wireless so just tap into a marker light and two sided tape to hold the camera up and its done just make sure you reseal up the marker light when you tap into the wiring

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMandSC View Post
    I really need to get a good backup camera for our 2015 ST379FL Solitude. I've seen a few posts about possible pre-wired connection ability. Is this in fact the case? If so how does it work? I'd prefer a wired camera, due to the distance required from the back of the trailer to the cab of the truck, over 50', and the limitations of wireless cameras for distance. The only concern I have with wired, is trying to figure out how to run the wiring to make it inconspicuous and protected from the elements.

I'm assuming I can tap into the wiring from the marker lights on the back of the trailer for power, but would have no idea how to run wiring for a wired system all the way from back there to the truck.

Any thoughts, suggestions, solutions???

David
    Hi David (@DMandSC),

Please either send me a private message with your 17-digit RV VIN, or fill in the "Serial #" field of your "About Me" Member List profile here on the forum, so we can research this for your specific unit. Thank you in advance...

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.

"Home" is Dacula, GA. Currently working in Waynesboro, GA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I haven't done this on the Solitude yet I had used a backup camera from 4ucam on our previous 5'vr. It was wireless in the sense that the camera was not tied to the sensor but I installed a rear view camera at the rear of my old 2500 and then bought their extension for the fifth wheel with the extended cable. I installed the camera on the top of the RV and routed the wire to the front and connected it to the battery for the RV. This made the signal strong enough to be picked up by the monitor. If you go to their website 4ucam.com they have some videos that show the setup. I think they build these systems themselves. They have always been quick to respond to questions and provide recommendations.
    Don and Jean - Dacula, GA
    2015 Solitude 369RL
    2015 GMC 3500HD Denali SRW Long Bed
    2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager - Let the Good Times Roll!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am having a backup camera installed this week on my 369RL. I am having a wireless system put on because it is not prewired. They are suppose to work well and will reach up to 65 feet. It has WiSight Technology. I got the one made by Voyager. I will be anxious to see how well it works.

Debby - Stafford, Virginia
    2017 Grand Design Solitude ST374TH
    2012 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed a Tadi brothers on mine. Not too much trouble
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Just out of curiosity, why is no one installing the Furrion camera that Grand Design works with? Our trailer came pre-wired for their unit with the housing already mounted and everything. Is it no good? Does no one know about the Furrion unit?

I don't see myself getting a rear view camera but I was curious.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

DMandSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why is no one installing the Furrion camera that Grand Design works with? Our trailer came pre-wired for their unit with the housing already mounted and everything. Is it no good? Does no one know about the Furrion unit?

I don't see myself getting a rear view camera but I was curious.
    No idea what you're talking about. I see no pre installed housing anywhere and ntohing in teh user manuals either, and I would definitely not get a Furrion brand. Too unknown and we've had nothing but trouble with the DVD unit. Works when it wants to. Can't pause for more that about 30 seconds or it freezes up.

Been looking at Tadi brothers camera system and will likely get that soon and install myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I left my monitor on as we were leaving RV park. I received a good signal until 250 feet away from trailer
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

DMandSC
    LC, I'm likely going to get a Tadi brothers system. I have a question about the dangling AV jack that appears to connect to the camera. Does this just hang from the wireless camera or what? The wireless camera I'm looking at seems to have this appendage. One end to the power source, marker lites, which makes sense, but the it has av jacks between the camera and power source, does this get stuffed into the opening for the wiring? Seems a little odd and open to elements.

Which model did you install, did it look like that?

David

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast