User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    scott42blue

Axle Seals GD says Good Luck !! With no help from them I may have a real fix.

I pulled one side off of 355TH as a standard new camper check. Getting close to finishing things I wanted to do and go camping. I had hoped with 8000 lb axles I might not have the same problems as so many other GD owners. Unfortunately mine was leaking with very few miles hubs were low on grease and it had not been overfilled by a transporter ( no grease in cup ). I sent GD many other pictures this is just one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grease seals 003.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	2437

GD reply was a link were I could buy new seals from lippert. I was surprised as so many posters said GD stepped up and took care of problem. Anyway I have better things to do with my time than listen to GD and Lippert try and dodge a $ 10 purchase. I jumped on Lipperts web site and ordered 6 seals 2 day air shipping just in case.
    I then tried to find out if Lippert had redesigned or improved the seal and got the usual Lippert run around and double speak. My thoughts are if factory seal with low grease and 1000 miles failed what good will it do to put another china knock off in it. I spent the next several hours measuring, chasing parts # and checking stock at many parts houses.
    I found one at carquest that measured well and part # was a possible match. I went and bought that one checked it to axle and in the end installed it.
    It is a National or Federal Mogul part with manufactures name and part number stamped on it. No guarantee it is real but at least made by a company that has a valuable name and history also liability insurance. And not afraid to put there name on product. Appearance wise is like night and day. National part is twice the weight. Back of china seal is hollow National is solid. See pictures
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seal 002.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	2439Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seal 003.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	2440
    Is this a fix I am not sure and will not know 100 % until I put some miles on it and recheck. I did fill outer bearing area with grease and got a nice hiss from escaping air when I pushed it in.
    Brakes and Tires are for me the two most important safety issues when towing. A failure can hurt my family my property and others.
    For Grand Design and Lippert $ 10 worth of seals are more important.
    Scott

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Scott,

Not good to hear, but obviously you can fix this. Others are replacing seals themselves, getting dealers to do it under warranty, or paying service companies. I haven't checked my brakes yet . . . but obviously I need to.

Grease on the brake shoes is a safety issue and seeing this happen repeatedly at low mileage is a product defect. You have likely seen this related thread, but post #7 by Jim is particularly important. No matter how anyone gets their "low mileage grease on the brake shoes" problem resolved, they should take the time to report what happened.
    http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...rease-Leakage?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI Scott I've got a 355 also an pulled mine yesterday as we are preparing our first trip an I had 1 leaking real bad an 2 were minor 1 was OK. Went to local auto parts an got new seals cleaned up brake shoes repacked bearings an am ready to take off in the morning feel better knowing that I went through them. Only miles I put on before was from dealer to home about 80 miles don't know how many were on from factory to dealer.
    2014 355th Momentum 2015 GMC Denali Duramax DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott, can you post the part number of the good seal please?
    2015 F350 CC 4x4 KR High Capacity Tow Package
    2014 Momentum 355TH #770
    2014 Yamaha Adventurer 2+2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

scott42blue
    Just for comparison I have a 25 year old car trailer made out of mobile home axles. I pulled hubs and replaced shoes a few years ago. Seals were fine and hubs were full of grease after 25 years. Mobile home axles are considered one way use and cheapest axle in the USA. Not legal to be titled in NC anymore.
    MH axles did outlast my expensive TH by 25 years. Makes you wonder is this whole GD thing is a well run marketing ploy.
    Time will tell, quality units vs cut corners will put all of us in reality over the next years.
    Scott

scott42blue
    Quote Originally Posted by Specularius View Post
    Scott, can you post the part number of the good seal please?
    Specularius
    Yes I would be happy to hope it saves someone some trouble. Please remember I don't have access to Lipperts measurements. It feels and looks like the correct part but only time will tell. Guys at carquest said it was common part for bigger axles like we have. Also you never know when Lippert might get a deal on a few thousand axles only off specification by a small amount .
    Seal numbers are
    Carquest 412920
    National or Federal Mogul 412920
    They are expensive about $ 27.00 per one. I would buy one and test fit.
    Etrailer has them part # RG06-070 but they look like Lippert seals. I decided to pass.
    Hope this helps.
    Scott

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 355th and had to replace all the seals due to leaks. I was not impressed with Lippert. I think GD should start checking a few axles as a QC measure and hold Lippert accountable. I feel bad for many who don't have the skill or tools to be able to do this themselves. Its expensive to have this done.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As much as Grand Design prefers to pass problems on to their suppliers . . . I don't think NHTSA will see it this way. The name on the "vehicle" is Grand Design. As I have said before, I am new to RVs . . . but, I am not new to vehicle safety or to the NHTSA process. Everyone solving this "grease on the brakes" problem by whatever means . . . should report what they have found. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the part numbers. Appreciate it.
    2015 F350 CC 4x4 KR High Capacity Tow Package
    2014 Momentum 355TH #770
    2014 Yamaha Adventurer 2+2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still puzzled with this grease seal exercise, this should not be an issue. I pulled one hub which was the winner. The end result was Lippert dancing around a $262.00 cost to repack and new seals, its the discussion of "what is, is". Best they could do is to pay for an inspection after which they would determine next steps. Imagine the scenario, the trailer is apart at a service center and I would have to continue the puzzling conversation. Ridiculous at best.

Given the response from Lippert was to pound salt I will pick up seals and replace myself. Needless to say I am a little bitter that after a large purchase to have a $10 seal fail. It can be the little things that create an image issue, safety would be one of them. Had I seen all of the seal chatter I may have made a different selection, a safe product is paramount.

In my conversation with GD the response was the same as scott42blue received, "Good Luck" in addition "I can help getting to the right person" a response of just handing you off to their vendor (not mine).

For those that are resolving the issue on their own below is the Lippert Link that lists all parts for all axles. It takes a bit of searching to find the page. I typically carry two complete sets of races, bearing and seals.

http://lci1.com/support-spring-axles
    Last edited by CManley; 06-09-2015 at 11:35 PM. Reason: more context
    The mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Chuck
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS
    2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    Elk Grove, Ca

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...psotab2qdx.jpg

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast